1 2
tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/29/10 7:03 p.m.

Whilst doing the timing belt on the PT Cruiser (not recommended) I listened to the radio a lot, which was quite nice. Let me just say, to whomever requested "Feed my Frankenstein" to the local rock station, that song has nothing to do with Halloween and everything to do with being a pervert.

Seriously, does nobody hear the lyrics? Do they just hear the word "Frankenstein" and move on? Are these the same people that think the song "Lola" is about a woman? The people that think "My Sharona" is a cute little ditty? The same people that don't understand what 97% of AC/DC songs are about? The same people that don't understand why the radio isn't on often while my kids are in the car? They're great songs, don't get me wrong, but sheesh.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce New Reader
10/29/10 7:10 p.m.

I don't generally hear lyrics; just music. I have no idea what any song is actually about unless I Google the lyrics, then E36 M3 just gets weird and I stop because it ruins the song for me.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/29/10 7:20 p.m.

I just can't believe you opened yourself up to the torture of putting together a 2.4L PT timing belt. I used to do the water pumps in those all the time at 7hrs of labor per vehicle for a $50 pump.

Brian

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/29/10 7:30 p.m.

Eew....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMlVZ6RDets

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/29/10 7:30 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: I just can't believe you opened yourself up to the torture of putting together a 2.4L PT timing belt. I used to do the water pumps in those all the time at 7hrs of labor per vehicle for a $50 pump. Brian

I feel awful saying this, but it even took my longer than 7 hours. I had to reassemble several times. Darn you Chrysler! The Civic was even easier than this!

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/29/10 7:33 p.m.
Woody wrote: Eew.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMlVZ6RDets

Ick indeed!

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/29/10 7:37 p.m.

"Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" also comes to mind. MY Mom used to listen to this all of the time when my sister and I were preteens. We had no idea.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
10/29/10 7:38 p.m.

Well, warranty time was 5 or 5.5hrs, IIRC. That should tell you something is completely wrong with the world. Most of the time wasted when I do them, is the tensioner and subsequent keeping it in time. The rest is easy, even in that WAY cramped engine bay with a cocked over motor sitting right in front of the strut tower.

Brian

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/29/10 7:45 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Well, warranty time was 5 or 5.5hrs, IIRC. That should tell you something is completely wrong with the world. Most of the time wasted when I do them, is the tensioner and subsequent keeping it in time. The rest is easy, even in that WAY cramped engine bay with a cocked over motor sitting right in front of the strut tower. Brian

I hate the fact that the tensioner was under the back cam cover. I got the timing belt off, checked the book, and died. "What do you mean I have to remove more stuff? This whole cover!? WHAT! Well, at least this idiot requested a mildly amusing song on the radio under the guise of Halloween".

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Reader
10/29/10 11:41 p.m.

Maybe someone just likes Alice Cooper? It was by far the best part of Wayne's World, after all.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
10/30/10 1:07 a.m.

I love how back and forth this thread is, between perverted pop songs, and tp cruisers.

Joey

mtn
mtn SuperDork
10/30/10 1:35 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" also comes to mind. MY Mom used to listen to this all of the time when my sister and I were preteens. We had no idea.

I first remember this song when I was 15 and it came on the radio. Just dad and I in the car, and he turned it up and told me to listen carefully to the lyrics.

Its still one of my favorite songs (only 5 years later).

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/30/10 5:56 a.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: Maybe someone just likes Alice Cooper? It was by far the best part of Wayne's World, after all.

I am sure, they prefaced their request by saying how great of a Halloween song it was.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
10/30/10 5:56 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: I love how back and forth this thread is, between perverted pop songs, and tp cruisers. Joey

Me too! What great topics!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/30/10 7:05 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Seriously, does nobody hear the lyrics? Do they just hear the word "Frankenstein" and move on?

I remember when this video came out and got posted around. Either the guy who made the video is a flaming idiot, or he was a Supra anti-fan and was poking fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKrMoCAjzZ0

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/10 7:52 a.m.

what's a little cannibalism between friends?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
10/30/10 8:36 a.m.

I like Alice, and some sick S&M part of me wants a PT...

I think I need help

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/30/10 8:40 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: tp cruisers. Joey

Hee hee. Freudian slip, anyone?

I was driving the kid to school one morning and King Missile's 'Detachable Penis' started playing. Now there was an awkward moment. I quickly flipped the radio station and something else came on which was every bit as, shall we say, suggestive. It turned out she had already heard 'DP'. But at least 'DP' is funnay.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/30/10 8:44 a.m.

Until just now, when this thread made me pause to ponder lyrics... I had no idea what WASP's berkeley Like A Beast was really about.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/30/10 9:01 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Until just now, when this thread made me pause to ponder lyrics... I had no idea what WASP's berkeley Like A Beast was really about.

"I've been fooling around with it for a few months. It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why. You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of..." "What do you call this?" "Well, this piece is called 'Lick My Love Pump'. "

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
10/30/10 9:23 a.m.
Seriously, does nobody hear the lyrics? Do they just hear the word "Frankenstein" and move on?

Tragically, yes. Many people don't bother to understand what they listen to. Here's another fun example:

In October, 2001, a local radio station was playing lots of NIN's Head Like a Hole. The local DJs, and the majority of the listeners were very fond of the lyric, "Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve." While introducing the song, they made often made references to al qaeda, as though that was who the chorus was about. Neither the DJs or their audience seemed to care/be aware that the song was a complaint about greed. Since then, Trent has become far less subtle when he rails against things he disagrees with.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
10/30/10 12:38 p.m.

You want dirty, listen to Little Red Corvette by Prince..

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
10/30/10 1:11 p.m.

Big Ten Inch - Aerosmith

Derick Freese
Derick Freese HalfDork
10/30/10 1:19 p.m.

A bunch of elderly Catholic women singing "Hard Candy Christmas." Not so much the song, but where the song came from. I found that story funny when my wife told it to me.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/31/10 12:09 a.m.
92dxman wrote: You want dirty, listen to Little Red Corvette by Prince..

Or "I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow

Hell--Darling Nikki spawned the PMRC...

Frank Zappa once said something akin to "I don't want what I hear to be dictated by what a 6 year old is able to handle". That's how I feel about this thread.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XCmte5G7PiU78CO9zRbnU4CqxktjVF0WMArKt9Ug8A1CxE2IiE1gFTDu1LrtXI2N