1 2 3 4
SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/22/12 4:03 p.m.

Barbie's not "girlie". Barbie is a purveyor of false images of femininity which perpetuate inappropriate and unrealistic body image ideas for women. Many feminists and lesbians hate Barbie.

Just saying...

racerfink
racerfink Dork
1/22/12 5:36 p.m.

Go down to your local skate park and see how many girls are wearing skull shirts and cargo pants. And skull earrings for that matter too. These two women are trying to get rich quick by being "famous-for-nothing".

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
1/22/12 7:23 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I agree with that. Barbie simply isn't something that I would want my kids to play with due to the expectations Barbie sets.

At the same time, I can understand how people link cargo pants, camo, and skulls to killing things. Some people can't handle that. You know, the kind that thinks meat comes from the grocery store?

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
1/22/12 8:15 p.m.

This kid is growing up in a two-parent household, and both parents are loving and putting in a solid effort to raise their child. I've seen much worse parenting.

Right now, I enjoy cooking, dancing, and wearing purple, pink, and fuschia. 60 years ago, that would have made me a woman by default.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/22/12 8:16 p.m.

You do have a point, at least they are involved. That's better than some of the Wal Martians I see.

racerfink
racerfink Dork
1/22/12 8:47 p.m.

So, making sure he's the guy from Silence of the Lambs makes them good parents?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/22/12 9:58 p.m.

Stereotypes like guys pee standing up?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/22/12 10:00 p.m.

I find myself not giving a berkeley about this at all but yet Johnny Cash is singing A Boy Named Sue in my head.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
1/22/12 10:09 p.m.

Holy berkeleyballs, compared to this lady, those two a friggen parents of the year

http://www.wtkr.com/news/ktla-mother-rapes-daughter-to-teach-her-about-sex,0,2173502.story

How in the E36 M3 is she only getting 4 years for this and not life or death?

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/23/12 12:32 p.m.

My wife mentioned how, in general, girls are lame and men are much cooler. I disagreed, saying that women are force fed a bunch of crap from birth (basically pink stuff, my little pony, more pink stuff, princess E36 M3, pink things, tiaras, more pink stuff) and its not really there fault they don't like cool stuff (cars, guns, looking at boobs) they are just raised that way. I like the company of women. I just think alot of women are raised to be disasters. Who like pink. Way too much.

Joey

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/23/12 12:45 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: My wife mentioned how, in general, girls are lame and men are much cooler. I disagreed, saying that women are force fed a bunch of crap from birth (basically pink stuff, my little pony, more pink stuff, princess E36 M3, pink things, tiaras, more pink stuff) and its not really there fault they don't like cool stuff (cars, guns, looking at boobs) they are just raised that way. I like the company of women. I just think alot of women are raised to be disasters. Who like pink. Way too much. Joey

My GF loves pink but she also loves shooting.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/23/12 12:45 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I find myself not giving a berkeley about this at all but yet Johnny Cash is singing A Boy Named Sue in my head.

That makes two of us.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/23/12 12:52 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: My wife mentioned how, in general, girls are lame and men are much cooler. I disagreed, saying that women are force fed a bunch of crap from birth (basically pink stuff, my little pony, more pink stuff, princess E36 M3, pink things, tiaras, more pink stuff) and its not really there fault they don't like cool stuff (cars, guns, looking at boobs) they are just raised that way. I like the company of women. I just think alot of women are raised to be disasters. Who like pink. Way too much. Joey

Brony, please!

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
1/23/12 1:19 p.m.

Boys and girls are physically different and psychologically different from each other. It seems disingenuous to ignore that under the guise of avoiding stereotyping.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
1/23/12 1:24 p.m.
scardeal wrote: Boys and girls are physically different and psychologically different from each other. It seems disingenuous to ignore that under the guise of avoiding stereotyping.

LIES! They are all the same! (this is me being sarcastic)

It's so funny that for centuries, this was never an issue, and now it's become this huge overblown deal for the 1% of the worlds population it affects. Dudes and chicks are different, people need to deal with that. I don't think that means you should dictate what a person associates themselves with as that is their choice.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/12 1:32 p.m.
Jay wrote: BTW I am rocking a bright purply pink T-shirt right goddamn now. It came from the Goodwill and doesn't say "men's" or "women's" on it anywhere so I have no clue. I guess that makes me a confused effeminate girly-man and a social pariah. Or maybe not.

If you're wearing socks with sandals, it makes you a German tourist in NYC.

Just kidding. Maybe.

My daughter, age three, has shown an incredible bent towards a complete girly girl despite having no direct family influences to that effect in the house. My wife doesn't even wear makeup.

She could be getting it from TV and from when we are outside the house, I guess, which is just another strong argument for society reinforcing gender roles.

I guess I have nothing to contribute other than my snarky German tourist quip.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/23/12 1:43 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
My GF loves pink but she also loves shooting.

As long as she doesn't have a pink gun, its ok.

Joey

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
1/23/12 1:48 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: As long as she doesn't have a pink gun, its ok. Joey

Would that be for shooting pink elephants?

drunkjunkie
drunkjunkie New Reader
1/23/12 2:46 p.m.

If you don't like how somebody's raising their kid, raise one of your own. This is hardly an issue of abuse or any such thing, it's just something the OP wouldn't ever do in his/her wildest dreams. So what? Plenty of adults are hypocritical in all kinds of other ways; these ladies aren't special.

If you want to raise a kid who won't ever get made fun of, name him "Lukewarm Oatmeal" and dress him in beige Toyota. In the mean time, let people raise their own damn kids.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/23/12 2:59 p.m.

THEY AREN'T LESBIANS!

Joey

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/23/12 3:04 p.m.
drunkjunkie wrote: If you don't like how somebody's raising their kid, raise one of your own. This is hardly an issue of abuse or any such thing, it's just something the OP wouldn't ever do in his/her wildest dreams. So what? Plenty of adults are hypocritical in all kinds of other ways; these ladies aren't special. If you want to raise a kid who won't ever get made fun of, name him "Lukewarm Oatmeal" and dress him in beige Toyota. In the mean time, let people raise their own damn kids.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. And I agree for the most part. My issue is with the fact that the KID has to live with the effects of his/her parents trying so desperately to be cool, hip, different, rebellious. I even git irked when someone names their kid some outlandish name. Yeah, you are trendy and cool. So cool that a name like Jason would never do. Now, this is really NOT that big a deal, but lemme illustrate.
My wife's friend is one of those people that strives to name her kids something you've never freaking heard of unless in a foreign country on a bad acid trip. Ok yeah, she thinks she's cool. But now her kids have to go through a lifetime of spelling, pronouncing, explaining, and defending his/her name. No, it's not the end of the world. But take if from someone who has a "different" name, it's a PITA. Nearly every fight I got into in high-school was because when someone said "isn't that a girls name?" that was the last time I needed to hear that and it'd be on.
I know, the name thing is minor. I just wonder how much worse is it going to be for this kid when he shows up in 6th grade wearing a pink skirt? My point is (as it always has been) if you are saying you are letting the kid decide, then let him/her decide.

Like someone else said, my little girl is turning into quite the girly-girl in the last 18 months (she's 7). She liked cars because her big brother did. Now she's taking ballet class and doing makup. The funny thing is, my wife doesn't wear much makeup ever and is not a girly-girl.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/23/12 3:04 p.m.

On second thought, let him wear camo cargo pants but drive a miata. Would that be ok?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/23/12 3:13 p.m.
Grizz wrote: Holy berkeleyballs, compared to this lady, those two a friggen parents of the year http://www.wtkr.com/news/ktla-mother-rapes-daughter-to-teach-her-about-sex,0,2173502.story How in the E36 M3 is she only getting 4 years for this and not life or death?

Now THAT is sick. The so called mother needs to fry.

drunkjunkie
drunkjunkie New Reader
1/23/12 3:23 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

I hear ya, man. I grew up with a crappy name, too. And got made fun of, beat up, etc. quite a bit. But I grew to love my name and I feel like the strife I dealt with helped me build character. It sucked at the time, but I don't feel like I'm worse off for it.

Come to think of it, Johnny Cash had something to say about a similar experience. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-hYLL7Gpos

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/23/12 3:32 p.m.

Self-indulgent parents piss me off. It seems they are doing this for themselves, and not for the good of the kid. Now they can brag to their "progressive" friends about how much better they are raising their kid like it is a contest.

Meanwhile they are causing more stress and confusion for the little boy.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qPD3uAjkdl0K5xnEWF6nfUz7jaK9lnAtY5qBYP0RTpZqvVGj7WgOiicoU6rfhQh5