914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/15/10 8:30 a.m.

I'm on my third one. The nuts & bolts always hold up, but the hydraulics puke. My current model is leaking wherever I park it and won't jack all the way up. I have a jug of fluid but it doesn't heal with a good night's sleep.

Recommendations?

Dan

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/10 9:11 a.m.

Buy a better quality jack.

Napa 7916402

Attributes: Lift Capacity: 2-Tons Closed Height: 2-3/4" Raised Height: 19-5/8" Lift Distance: 18" Saddle Diameter: 5" Weight:90 lbs Product Features: Dual Pump Mechanism Which Reduces Handle Strokes Up to 50 Percent While Not Effecting Handle Effort Nylon Wheels & Casters to Reduce Damage to Coated or Painted Floors & Reduced Noise During Transpor Dimensions: 31" L x 16" W x 8-1/4" H Air Operated: No

Really heavy, pretty expensive, and I have (ab)used mine almost daily with out issue.

It's the only thing NAPA sells that is worth the money.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
1/15/10 11:32 a.m.

I have a Harbor Freight aluminum jack that puked last winter. They don't seem to like being loaded in the cold. I took it all apart and there are only 2 o-rings in them. Went down to the local hardware store with the old o-rings and got a couple that were pretty close and now it's working fine. I still avoid using it when it cold outside though.

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
1/15/10 12:26 p.m.

Do as John Brown says. I used to work for the company who imports NAPA's lifting equipment. They've spent weeks in many various factories around the world to ensure their jacks are as good (or better) than any out there. And they're rebuildable, which most jacks aren't anymore. As far as I know, there is only one US-built garage jack, and it is very expensive ($350-$400), and the quality isn't any better than the NAPA jack.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/10 12:41 p.m.

Take the hydraulic ram apart, clean it, replace the seals, repair any other damage and see if that helps.

20Ver
20Ver New Reader
1/15/10 12:56 p.m.

What about a decent AL jack that doesn't cost a mortgage payment?

I have not had good luck with the $150 sears one. My thrid pump is leaking, first two were warratied, but I think I am out of luck this time. Maybe I'll see if I can tear it apart this weekend. Yet my buddies 5 mechanic repair shop uses the same jack as their only floor jack. So I'm guessing it sees almost daily use as a third hand or doing a quick flat fix when all the lifts are tied up.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
1/15/10 5:04 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Take the hydraulic ram apart, clean it, replace the seals, repair any other damage and see if that helps.

That's the problem, no replacement parts or O rings.

Dan

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/15/10 6:20 p.m.

There's a guy over on the Garage Journal board who can supply rebuild kits for most name brand hydraulic jacks, as well as some off brand ones. Go join up, and do a search for jack restoration threads.

CagleRacing
CagleRacing New Reader
1/15/10 7:27 p.m.

You could move further south. Oh, wait, it's extremely cold here as well.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy New Reader
1/15/10 8:59 p.m.

Buy one that says "Made in America". Spend money. Use it for a lifetime.

924guy
924guy Dork
1/15/10 9:59 p.m.

I have an almost new floor jack sitting in my garage I havent been able fix. It has one port that has the "do not adjust, open, or screw with" sticker near it.. well , i touched it, it hasnt worked since.. whod of thunk it??? come on, its like the "dont press this big red button" cartoon, you gotta do it...

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
1/16/10 3:10 p.m.

I have one of the last "Made in America" jacks that Lincoln built. It is a total POS. I use my two Chinese-built NAPA jacks, and the Lincoln sits, awaiting a rebuild.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/16/10 10:23 p.m.

I've always bought the cheap ones and have never had a problem. I just topped off my fluid on one today. My son had opened one of the screw ports that was under pressure and let out a lot of fluid.

Interestingly I couldn't find hydraulic jack fluid at any of the automotive stores, but I found it in Walmart for $1.59

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
1/17/10 6:45 a.m.

Related to this.....

You know how they have those small, cheap, $20 floor jacks in WalMart? I ended up with four of those things (donated by friends and neighbours who didn't need them anymore). They all work fine (but I always use jackstands, of course).

Anyway, I took one and "trimmed" it so that it would fit under the race-Sprite. Took off the front wheels and replaced with welded skids. Removed the round lift plate and welded on a lower, fixed, flat lift plate. The thing ended up about two inches lower and now I use it for lots of other things (easier to get under the Miata, good for lifting riding lawnmower, "spreading" panels when doing bodywork, etc). If you have an extra one and very low cars, this can be a good idea. I added a loop of electrical wire through some gas line hose as a carry-handle. I also "trimmed" some jackstands so that they are easier to use under lower cars.

CagleRacing
CagleRacing New Reader
1/17/10 7:47 p.m.

Due to its low ground clearance, I used mechanical scissor jacks on my C4 Corvette for several years. The one problem was keeping them square to the floor and car when only raising the front end. Eventually one failed miserably while I was lifting the car. Thankfully the only damage was to the jack itself.

If you use scissor jacks on a regular basis, it's best to raise the entire car with four jacks. This keeps the jacks square with floor and car simultaneously. And, as with any jack, do not go under the car without supporting it with jack stands.

Since then, I've been using a set of GM branded floor jacks purchased at Walmart. They have a low profile, handy light on the lift plate, sockets for the lug nuts and a proper handle for easy carrying in the garage. The lifting height isn't enough for my 1977 Corvette; so I keep a larger set of hydraulic jacks as well.

For all our cars, except the C4 Corvette, I use sturdy plastic ramps for oil changes and minor jobs.

Cheers, Steven Cagle

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/10 8:05 p.m.

I bought one of these a little over a year ago and love it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95851

Bought originally for my enclosed trailer because it sits so low to the ground you can't use a floor jack on the axle and climbing under it to use a bottle or scissor jack isn't an option.(too fat, not stupid enough) I use it for just about everything now. Clamp it on the battery, set it and mash the button. No oil to leak, works on dirt, asphalt, or just about any surface with a piece of plywood for a base. Good to 4000# so it will even lift my vans. I even used it to straiten the trunk and fender on my son's car after someone rear ended him. I don't think I have used my floor jack but about twice since I got it.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
1/17/10 9:04 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
turboswede wrote: Take the hydraulic ram apart, clean it, replace the seals, repair any other damage and see if that helps.
That's the problem, no replacement parts or O rings. Dan

Sometimes weird o rings or hydraulic bits can be found at tractor dealers. (think Deutz)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8ilFkO5jxkUFkbbEZCfC4rqxlRMfLkFikby0rBUA30zKfOFU2In0iV1Kk6fJNmfO