cwh
cwh UberDork
7/3/12 2:05 p.m.

IRS "gifts" our local sheriffs office with some new toys-

Two black Chevrolet Camaros shimmered in the sun, polished and new, ready to be used by the Broward Sheriff's Office to crack down on aggressive driving.

Criminal investigators with the Internal Revenue Service on Monday celebrated the success of a 2010 money-laundering inquiry by presenting the two Camaros to the Sheriff's Office — and doling out nearly $3 million to help more than a dozen Broward law enforcement agencies and cities.

I guess that's better than having the taxpayers pay for them. Wonder how long till they actually hit the road.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
7/3/12 2:39 p.m.

I bet they won't lose those in a parking garage.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
7/3/12 4:20 p.m.
cwh wrote: IRS "gifts" our local sheriffs office with some new toys- I guess that's better than having the taxpayers pay for them. Wonder how long till they actually hit the road.

Who do you think paid for them?

cwh
cwh UberDork
7/3/12 4:35 p.m.

Wachovia Bank, due to penalties related to getting caught laundering money for Mexican cartels. oops.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/3/12 5:24 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: I bet they won't lose those in a parking garage.

Pretty sure that was Miami, where the botox paralyzes their brains. I expect that Ft. Lauderdale's PD are smarter than that.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
7/3/12 5:30 p.m.

Feds money is better than taxpayer money any day

cwh
cwh UberDork
7/3/12 6:55 p.m.

Seized money is the best. The bad guys make a contribution.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/3/12 7:33 p.m.

Broward County, huh? What does hell smell like nowadays?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/3/12 8:03 p.m.

Lol-drug seizures are fun. Feds: "Hey look, that rich guy with a big house and nice cars had 2 dead pot plants. Lets take the case from the local PD and turn his probation for possession into seizure for drug trafficking. Hehe, look at all the cool stuff we got for putting that scumbag in his place."

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/3/12 8:46 p.m.

There are a bunch of cars obtained through drug busts around here. Some are street racing prevention, but they don't work too well.

County has a Corvette, some have striped/unmarked chargers and such.

If all goes well, I'll be ordering some Taurus Interceptors within a year and taking over an entire 500 manned fleet. I'm sure we'll get some fancy toys if my plans go well.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
7/3/12 9:16 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
BoostedBrandon wrote: I bet they won't lose those in a parking garage.
Pretty sure that was Miami, where the botox paralyzes their brains. I expect that Ft. Lauderdale's PD are smarter than that.

Eh, it's still Florida.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
7/3/12 9:34 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
cwh wrote: IRS "gifts" our local sheriffs office with some new toys- I guess that's better than having the taxpayers pay for them. Wonder how long till they actually hit the road.
Who do you think paid for them?

the government..

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
7/4/12 8:39 a.m.

And where does the government get it's money ?

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/4/12 9:52 a.m.

Pretty sure they just print it.

mpolans
mpolans Reader
7/4/12 9:54 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Feds money is better than taxpayer money any day

Unless the savings is returned to the taxpayer in the form of lower taxes, it's still "taxpayer money."

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
7/4/12 9:56 a.m.
mpolans wrote:
fasted58 wrote: Feds money is better than taxpayer money any day
Unless the savings is returned to the taxpayer in the form of lower taxes, it's still "taxpayer money."

missed my sarcasm, didja

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
7/4/12 10:59 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Pretty sure they just print it.

WINNER!

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
7/4/12 11:16 a.m.

Highway Patrol is still rocking their unmarked black 05ish Z06 here. Ive seen more than a few people on the side of the road with the Vette behind them.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
7/4/12 4:03 p.m.
iceracer wrote: And where does the government get it's money ?

they just make more when they run low.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0JAsNaTTQcFzQlpA0zjkqHUQQmh83lVYU9Mjv27StwbiR3aMdS9vRQ73yrh9UHF9