stroker
stroker Dork
2/18/13 8:01 p.m.

Favorite Brands.

Go.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/18/13 8:03 p.m.

Since going no gluten. All pizza tastes like E36 M3. But I feel so much better.

Before that anything from trader joes.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
2/18/13 8:04 p.m.

Newman's Own. Great toppings. Thin crust. But definitely too small and too expensive.

Freshetta over Digiorno, but both have crusts that are too heavy.

I can eat Tombstone, but they're nothing special.

I make a pretty good pizza myself, but it's the opposite of frozen pizza in that it requires a good bit of effort.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/18/13 8:05 p.m.

I like newman's own margarita pizza with the thin crust. When it's cooked right it's pretty great. Also my wife likes a company called 'culinary circle' available at shaws. Both are pretty good.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/18/13 8:06 p.m.

Usually make my own from scratch - time and effort. Also keep a tombstone or two in the freezer - mostly for the dog sitter or if we're in a pinch.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/18/13 8:07 p.m.

DiGiorno. The thin crust is better than the thick, IMHO. But the kid likes thick, soooooo... Tried Freschetta, wasn't bonkers about it. Tombstone and Red Baron, bleagh.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/18/13 8:08 p.m.

If I wanted tomato covered cardboard, I would make it myself.....

But like FBC, going nearly 100% gluten free, most breads are sweet and tasteless garbage unless it's mega dollar or homemade.

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
2/18/13 8:13 p.m.

I agree with curmudgeon, DiGiorno thin crust is better than thick. I also had some fairly terrible Red Baron pizza at one time.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/18/13 8:24 p.m.

California Pizza Kitchens was the last brand we bought, but that was like 3 years ago. It was something to put in your stomach when hungry.

If we want pizza we just go here:

http://www.andopizza.com/

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
2/18/13 8:27 p.m.

Haven't done frozen pizza's in years.....Papa Murphy's take-n-bake is the closest we go. the Mediterranean de-lite is incredible

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
2/18/13 8:34 p.m.

I really like the take and bake pizzas from Costco and Wally World.

If it has to be frozen, the wife and I like Jack's Rising Crust and Gino's East Deep Dish (Chicago Local)

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/13 8:38 p.m.

Haven't bought a frozen pizza in years. Dough takes nothing to make and I control the toppings.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/18/13 8:43 p.m.

Minneo's in Pittsburgh. They ship!!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/18/13 8:45 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Papa Murphy's take-n-bake

Wish there was one here, because those are awesome and CHEAP.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/18/13 9:06 p.m.

Why gluten free? Do you have celiacs disease?

mtn
mtn PowerDork
2/18/13 9:07 p.m.

To answer the question, the best widely available frozen pizza IMHO is Home Run Inn. The problem is that it is quite expensive, to the point that it is often cheaper to get a carryout or delivery.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
2/18/13 9:13 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Why gluten free? Do you have celiacs disease?

A lot of people (a surprising number, actually) do have a gluten allergy. Most are un-diagnosed, and frankly, that is ok.

Pretty good summary from some website, maybe a "for Dummies" one:

Reasons to Go Gluten-Free A gluten-free diet isn’t just for those with celiac disease or a wheat allergy. Although eating wheat products, especially whole wheat, does offer some health benefits, the gluten can actually be harmful. Here are some reasons you may want to go gluten-free. Humans don’t fully digest wheat. The undigested portions of wheat begin to ferment, producing gas. Icky, belchable, fart-forming gas. Wheat is a pro-inflammatory agent. A pro-inflammatory agent is rapidly converted to sugar, causing a rise in the body’s insulin levels, causing a burst of inflammation at the cellular level, among other problems. Wheat can cause leaky gut syndrome. Leaky gut syndrome is a condition whereby stuff is leaking from your gut into your bloodstream — stuff that shouldn’t be there, such as toxins. Refined wheat has little nutritional value. Did you know that manufacturers actually have to enrich refined wheat because they’ve taken out all the nutrients? And even then, the wheat’s not that valuable, nutritionally speaking. Wheat is one of the top-eight allergens. Millions of people are allergic to wheat — so many, in fact, that it has made it onto the top-eight allergen list. Many people have gluten sensitivity or celiac disease, and don’t know it. So, how many people fall into this category? No one knows for sure. But 1 in 100 people has celiac disease — but most don’t know it. No one knows how many people have gluten sensitivity, but estimates are that it may be as high as 50 percent, or even 70 percent, of the population.

I went gluten free for about a month. Didn't feel any better or worse, and it was slightly more expensive, so I gave it up. I'd recommend trying it though. You might be surprised. Or, like me, you might find no difference.

Hal
Hal Dork
2/18/13 9:19 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: Haven't done frozen pizza's in years.....Papa Murphy's take-n-bake is the closest we go. the Mediterranean de-lite is incredible

Same here, except we like the Papa's Favorite. Haven't had a frozen or chain delivery type since the Papa Murphy's opened locally.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
2/18/13 9:31 p.m.

i was a pretty regular consumer of Bernatellos Half Pounder Sausage and Pepperoni pizzas, but they discontinued it in favor of something that weighs half as much and costs more..

so now i settle for Red Baron, Tombstone, or DiGiornio if i'm feeling like it's a special occasion.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/18/13 9:50 p.m.

Red Baron. When I can find it, Nirchi's has frozen pizza that is almost as good as in store.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
2/18/13 9:56 p.m.

Palermo's Primo Thin

Sausage, please. It's a locally made pizza. I don't know if it's nationally available, but Costco sells the regular-style pizzas as their in-house brand, "Kirklands".

I've tried Freschetta and DiGiorno. Thanks, but no. I'll stay hungry.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
2/18/13 10:06 p.m.

Around here, Shakespeare's. However, it can be hit or miss.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/18/13 10:11 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Why gluten free? Do you have celiacs disease?

I have a mild intolerance to gluten. I haven't felt this good in years, since giving up gluten 4-5mo ago.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/18/13 10:18 p.m.

Palermo's Primo Thin Margherita

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
2/18/13 10:36 p.m.
mtn wrote: I went gluten free for about a month. Didn't feel any better or worse, and it was slightly more expensive, so I gave it up. I'd recommend trying it though. You might be surprised. Or, like me, you might find no difference.

The new GF has a gluten allergy which has made me about 90% gluten free for the last 2 months. I too didn't notice feeling any better or worse but I have lost 20lbs in that time and my waist size dropped from 36" to 33". This is with zero other changes to my lifestyle in low activity winter months. I have weighed 220lbs without fluctuation for 4 years and doing nothing but cutting most of the gluten out of my diet has me shedding weight enough that my doctor is asking me how I am doing it so well.

But since she is out of town tonight and I wasn't caring enough to eat real food I found myself in the frozen pizza aisle. I looked for 5 minutes and then went to the bakery and got some 99 cent Naan bread, a 99 cent jar of kroger brand pizza sauce and used mozzarella and salami from the fridge and made something that was genuinely tasty for less than the 6.99 Newmans I was considering.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1ZpTJxWJ5r5gVltPppXJMNbWYEQduPDTrgbgBkPUp67Hgllye1XApE02lrh6SnCr