mndsm
mndsm Dork
7/26/10 4:21 p.m.

Short backstory- I work with mostly women (office job will do that). It has come to light that I'm fairly knowlegeable about traffic law (having spent more time in front of the judge than I care to). A co worker came into work the other day, and asked me to interpret a ticket she had recieved.

The story went- she was driving home at midnight during a torrential downpour, and missed a roundabout. She plowed a tree, messed up some grass, and kicked over a few pylons. And bent up a sign. Hit it pretty good, because she totalled her Buick. In her esteemed intelligence, she drove off, and never notified anyone that it had happened. Didn't call insurance, nothin. Funny thing is, she only parked like... a block away, so obviously crammed Buick+ smashed roundabout=something's silly. Cops ring her up, she cops to it, saying she panicked, blah blah blah. Cop is reasonably cool, doesn't slap the bracelets on her. Says he'll be mailing her a ticket, once he sorts out what he can charge her with.

Fast forward to me holding the ticket. She got an Inattentive driving (no surprise there) and a Failure to Notify Owner of Property Damage. Now in MN, that's sort of a lesser version of a hit and run. If you do less than xxx damage- you can leave a note with all of your insurance stuff, and deal with it that way. No cops required. So esentially, she got a ticket for not LEAVING A NOTE ON A BUSTED TREE.

Ok, so it's funny as hell to me. YMMV.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/10 5:01 p.m.

LOLzers.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky HalfDork
7/26/10 5:37 p.m.

Why didn't she park the Buick around the back?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 HalfDork
7/26/10 5:53 p.m.

I have a friend that is a police officer,and he told me of a story in where a mouth-breather left the scene of an accident,but forgot that he left his front bumper on the scene with the license plate still attached to it. Guess how long it took to find him?

Chris

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
7/26/10 5:59 p.m.

A friend of mine got just such a ticket near Summit Point. I won't mention names, but I know that he has posted on here. He hit a tree when he missed a turn, and was walking to find a phone to call for a tow truck. He got a ticket for leaving the scene, and damage to personal property. He found out that it had to be more than $500, or some such value in damages, so he got the farmer to come to court. Farmer testified that he had no idea as to how much the tree was worth, but there certainly wasn't $500 in damage, and the ticket was thrown out. Now, I'm pulling the $500 number out of my butt, though you get the idea.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/26/10 7:36 p.m.

I think the Buick simply tried to kill itself.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
7/27/10 8:16 a.m.

I kept getting her to try and sell the Buick to me, but she crammed it instead. Sad thing is, I lowballed the HELL out of it (I wanted it for 500$.... for a plush ol' lady Buick, it seemed like good times to me) and she crammed it instead. She managed to screw up the aftermath pretty good too... as she never notified her insurance, and instead of selling it as a repairable (the front clip was mashed, but I coulda fixed it) she told a tow truck guy to come get it. So.... instead of my 500$.... she got nothing. And the BEST part? She just got a bill from the city... to the tune of 3 grand lol.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/10 9:20 a.m.

wow... there is stupid and there is stupid. $500 would have helped a lot with the $3000 bill

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
7/27/10 9:24 a.m.

haha, have her frame it and hang it in her office...

kcmoken
kcmoken New Reader
7/27/10 10:08 a.m.

I would claim I was in a state of accute stress reaction in response to a traumatic reaction (and if she could identify she hit her head, so much easier to make this claim). People in this state tend to seek a safe area, and their house would certainly constitute a safe area.

I have known several people use this to defend leaving the scene of a one-car accident. Sometimes the reason for the accident might be chemically induced, and leaving is preferable. Works every time.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
7/27/10 10:12 a.m.
kcmoken wrote: I would claim I was in a state of accute stress reaction in response to a traumatic reaction (and if she could identify she hit her head, so much easier to make this claim). People in this state tend to seek a safe area, and their house would certainly constitute a safe area. I have known several people use this to defend leaving the scene of a one-car accident. Sometimes the reason for the accident might be chemically induced, and leaving is preferable. Works every time.

Too late now, but that is a good one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nOrQbjOXxGH1py2M3swamsuejiEpdQA6o03sWa5CFedFNZcd6JLDZkZIyMsvUQsQ