1 2
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/25/16 7:40 a.m.

So a widow that lives down the street asked me to get her garage door open.

She has the laser sensors on the bottom. The ones that stop the door if the beam is broken.

The little led are supposed to be green. One is until tripped. The other, no matter what I do, is always red.

Any ideas on a cheap repair?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/25/16 7:42 a.m.

Are you sure they are aligned? I'm not saying relocate them to above the door 1" away from each other or anything like that. That would be irresponsible.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/16 8:31 a.m.

Mine are green on one side and yellow on the other.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/25/16 8:45 a.m.

An aside: there should be a manual release to operate the door until you get the sensors sorted out.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
8/25/16 8:52 a.m.

My new unit has one green and one red LED. Aligning them was easier than expected, especially since it's a 16 foot door.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/25/16 9:06 a.m.

I actually held them one inch apart and the door still won't open with the opener.

She can't open the door by herself without the opener, so I need to get it fixed.

Any other options for repair/bypass?

rande
rande New Reader
8/25/16 9:12 a.m.

Mine has one green and one red. It has always works fine that way.

java230
java230 Dork
8/25/16 9:28 a.m.

Hmmm ours at work doesn't have the sensors hooked up. Did you try unhooking them? Its either that or they need to be jumpered.

EDIT: ok i lied.... they zip tied the sensors next to each other above the opener motor.... Might be worth a try still

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/25/16 9:28 a.m.

If she doesn't have little kids or really need the Nader device, just unscrew them, point them nose to nose and duct tape them together. Hang 'em high.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/25/16 9:53 a.m.

Sounds like it's not the sensor. There are other things that can go wrong. What have you tried?

The door will open with the sensors not aligned or with stuff in the way of them. The sensors do not interfere with opening the door at all, only with closing the door.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/25/16 10:48 a.m.

Got a name and model on that garage door opener? It'll help with the conversation and suggestions.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
8/25/16 11:12 a.m.
914Driver wrote: If she doesn't have little kids or really need the Nader device, just unscrew them, point them nose to nose and duct tape them together. Hang 'em high.

My grandfather did that once my dad and uncles were all in school. Figured they weren't stupid enough to sit under the door.

I do remember hearing stories about it coming down on cars though.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/25/16 11:20 a.m.

I'll get details on the unit tonight. Will also see if I can open the door by hand to eliminate variables.

I have never owned, nor messed with, an electronic garage door opener. So thanks guys.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
8/25/16 11:40 a.m.

Some theory of operation because there is more to it than I thought. An actual signal seems to travel down the same wires that power the LEDs. The actual power to the LEDs is just run in parallel.

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/electronics/GarageElecEye.html

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/25/16 12:52 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I actually held them one inch apart and the door still won't open with the opener. She can't open the door by herself without the opener, so I need to get it fixed. Any other options for repair/bypass?

So the door is closed, and you can't open it?

sounds like a different problem than the sensor. I had my sensor wiring torn up by a groundhog- the door would open, but not close.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
8/25/16 12:52 p.m.

Dead battery in the remote?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/25/16 1:09 p.m.

Nope. Won't open. And not opening with either the remote or the wall switch.

I guess I'm looking at more than the sensors then.

Ideas? Comes up about an inch and stops.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/25/16 1:14 p.m.

sounds like something tripping the load limiter or the maximum up switch. Either one means something in the wrong place at the switches near the drive unit or the door latch on the track is engaged.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/25/16 1:16 p.m.

So there are sensor in many systems to stop them from over torquing. So it will be interesting to hear if you can open the door manually. If not, could be the door springs. I've had to change mine twice.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/25/16 3:48 p.m.

Don't overlook the obvious. Make sure the door didn't get locked.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/25/16 3:58 p.m.

Many have 2 adjustment screws on the unit to set the max up/down limits, and another 2 adjusters for the max up/down force. There's usually 2 on the side(I think limit) & the other 2 on the end(force).

Though if it was working, but now it's not, there's probably something wrong that caused the problem.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
8/25/16 4:41 p.m.

Have you checked the springs?

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/25/16 5:32 p.m.

If the springs are properly adjusted, it should be easy to open the door manually.

Even and old lady could do it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/25/16 5:55 p.m.

Pull the red release handle on the opener , and see if the door opens manually. Is the spring in one piece?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/26/16 5:50 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Comes up about an inch and stops.

That's significant. That says the unit is indeed powering up and functioning.

I have seen doors fail to open because of sensor errors. They would go up a bit further as I recall, and then drop back down. Your description of the sensors seems to indicate a problem with the one. I have "fixed" some before by simply disconnecting the sensor lead and reconnecting. If you ID the unit, we can all go find the manual for it on-line and better answer this particular question.

Silly things, like the door being locked, as well thoroughly worn wheels creating tremendously high drag can also create a situation where the load sensor on the main motor gets tripped. Look at both tracks, from bottom to top, to make sure there are no entertaining failures, like a carabiner or broken wheel or such.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
beq07CPP2jtdHQA2fVhTfO9nCO4E8EhgFKGGU3AGfUK0xawt3R7KFH9YLzSb0rEV