1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/26/16 6:15 a.m.

My opener has two switches inline with the center track. one near the motor and one by the actually door. The wire connecting the switch has been loose and caused that exact issue.

The door would move about 1-3" and stop.

I believe the term is "limit switch"

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/26/16 6:36 a.m.

We had open house at school last night, so I didn't get over there. Today I have work 16 hours, and 7-4 tomorrow. We're planning on going over after work tomorrow.

I didn't even think to check for something stupid after seeing lights not both green.

Will report back.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
8/26/16 7:28 a.m.

I had my garage door get angry because the arm that connects to the door, slid to the side of the pin and that was enough to jam it up enough to over torque the motor. To fix it, all I did was center the bracket on the pin at the door side of things.

My father-in-law had the same problem, we centered the arm on the pin and it worked again.

Here's the pin (unlabeled):

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/26/16 9:39 a.m.

Disconnect the door from the lift. See if the lift runs all the way.

Check door to see if lifts relatively easy all the way.

Two separate systems with separate problems. Narrows the search without assumptions.

My guess from what I have heard ? The door lock is on

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
8/26/16 9:49 a.m.

I'm going to suggest door springs. Have had the same thing happen on mine twice. The lift can only lift if the springs are helping. Pull the red cord and see how hard it is to open yourself. I'm guessing it'll be really difficult. Springs usually snap, so one of them will be in two pieces.

Hire a garage door company to replace the spring. I'd guess $150 to replace one. Most of the time, they'll also do a quick service of the door greasing the wheels, tightening bolts, etc.

You theoretically could do it yourself for much cheaper, but I have yet to have a garage door guy come to my house that isn't missing at least one finger......

If they don't do the service, you might want to for her. Grab a ratchet and tighten all the mounting screws (garage door connector, hinges, etc.). Check the wheels to see if any are loose or broken. Those should be easy and cheap to replace. I spray my wheels with silicon spray every year to keep it moving smoothly.

Finally, I'd recommend being there when the springs are replaced (if you can), so they don't end up trying to upsell her a new opener or door.

-Rob

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
8/27/16 9:45 a.m.

Find the problem area and fix it. Don't assume anything.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
8/27/16 10:30 a.m.
iceracer wrote: My guess from what I have heard ? The door lock is on

My kids had pushed mine and after fighting it for an hour I googled it and it came up with a thread from here years ago that I had even posted in....

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/16 2:55 p.m.

From the sound of it, I suspect it's the door spring.

If the spring is ok - look over the wiring between the motor and the sensors. It's really small gauge - mine is doorbell wire (solid conductor). I had one that was pinched by a staple, and broke.

If the door sensor wiring is ok - likely it's a limit switch wire that got disconnected.

When I had a smaller garage, I set the sensor at bumper height. It may miss a cat.. but it will catch a car that isn't pulled in all the way.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s9FF6SK8veoie2R0jrhl6J5I7yRZGreNnVUkwGikWNPpQ4RR1laAfgtWCzzz2oCq