1 2
jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
11/30/08 8:47 a.m.

Filled up the Sentra yesterday, shaking my head in disbelief - $1.73 per gallon. $17 bucks for a full tank! That's a far cry from the $40 bucks I paid just a few months ago, at which time I also shook my head in disbelief.

I just read a page from the November issue of Motor Trend that stated "$4 a gallon gas is here to stay."

Do tell.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
11/30/08 8:51 a.m.

fifty
fifty New Reader
11/30/08 9:02 a.m.

$1.47 here in Little Rock yesterday.

I read in today's paper that OPEC have just met - supply will remain unchanged for the next month.

I don't see a plug in electric car in my immediate future. 8)

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
11/30/08 9:07 a.m.

I had a dream that it kept going down and was like $0.60/gallon. I didn't know what to do with myself.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
11/30/08 9:16 a.m.

I hate the idea of big government/extra government, but if gas effects the perception of our economy, there should be some attempt at stabilization.

My thinking is that since the price of gas is NOT the result of a free market on the world scale, then we should not feel compelled to allow it to yo-yo up and down and hurt the U.S. economy here at home. Set gas at $2.50 per gallon and allow any extra to be used as a buffer if there really is a shortage. Interest on buffer can be used for research into alternatives.

Oh wait, the energy interests run the real government. Please forget I suggested that.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
11/30/08 9:20 a.m.
Stuc wrote: I had a dream that it kept going down and was like $0.60/gallon. I didn't know what to do with myself.

Start building cars with old school fire breathing V8's and more power than you could ever want or need?

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
11/30/08 9:41 a.m.

This could all turn just as quickly...I don't think we're going to soon forget the Summer of '08...Just think:

If crude oil wasn't traded on the commodities market...

If the Left Coasters would remember that the Santa Barbara oil spill was in 1969 and we've learned a thing or two since then...

If the antinukers would remember that the US Navy has operated reactors since the 1950s (and the French, among others, about that long as well)...

Could we have energy stability?

BTW, $1.69 in Carlisle PA...

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
11/30/08 9:42 a.m.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis, Season 4: Ep 2

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/fod/play.php?sh=sunny

nsfw or home or anywhere for that matter, but you'll lol, you all LOL.

mtn
mtn Dork
11/30/08 9:54 a.m.

It will go back up. Just wait, OPEC will berkeley us.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
11/30/08 10:29 a.m.

I was very happy to hear Obama mention that his alternative energy plans will still go into action, regardless of low oil prices. Yes, I know there is still a ton of bureaucracy that it will need to go through, but at least the leader of country won't be naive about it.

fifty
fifty New Reader
11/30/08 11:26 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Set gas at $2.50 per gallon and allow any extra to be used as a buffer if there really is a shortage. Interest on buffer can be used for research into alternatives.

I think that would only encourage OPEC to set the price of gas at $2.50 /gallon (or whatever $$/barrel)

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/30/08 12:10 p.m.

The lowest I've seen here is $1.68. I feel like a kid again and I'm itching to go on a ROAD TRIP!!! :D

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
11/30/08 12:43 p.m.

I increased my range for picking up parts bought on eBay.... 8)

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
11/30/08 12:50 p.m.

Gas prices don't only have to do with the price of a barrel, a barrel could cost 80 euros and 150 dollars. The strength of the dollar has a lot to do with how much we're paying for a gallon of gas. So as the dollar loses value the price per barrel rises, and so on and so forth if it goes up.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
11/30/08 1:15 p.m.

just so long as it holds out for a few more weeks to give me time to do the road trip I have to go on here in a couple weeks I'll be happy.

Helterskelter
Helterskelter Reader
11/30/08 2:23 p.m.

Can anyone name another commodity that fluctuates in such an extreme manner? Was there any good reason for the price of gas to change so much? Or were we just getting jerked around?

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
11/30/08 2:34 p.m.

A little of everything I believe. Dollar took a nose dive, opec hates us, and natural disasters all add up to a hit at the pumps. Honestly though like the chart above says gas is cheaper now than in 1981 and in europe they still pay WAY more than us per gallon.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
11/30/08 3:59 p.m.
wherethefmi2000 wrote: A little of everything I believe. Dollar took a nose dive, opec hates us, and natural disasters all add up to a hit at the pumps. Honestly though like the chart above says gas is cheaper now than in 1981 and in europe they still pay WAY more than us per gallon.

Erm, I believe the higher prices in Europe are due to taxes. Gas in Canada is on average over $3/US Gallon still (alot of which is due to taxes).

PHeller
PHeller Reader
11/30/08 5:55 p.m.

Higher taxes in other countries lead to higher fuel prices, however, it's my understand that when fuel prices fluctuate, the taxes do as well, allowing them to remain stable.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/30/08 7:18 p.m.

speculation ended, it peeked, was sold off and the "bubble" is over, like the ".com" and other bubbles.

I may be wrong, but I'm just goin to enjoy it while I can ,FWIW

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
11/30/08 7:31 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: speculation ended, it peeked, was sold off and the "bubble" is over, like the ".com" and other bubbles. I may be wrong, but I'm just goin to enjoy it while I can ,FWIW

Instead of $3K in diesel to get out to Ontario and back in September, it was only about $1500 two weeks ago :D

Luke
Luke Dork
11/30/08 7:37 p.m.
wherethefmi2000 wrote: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis, Season 4: Ep 2 http://vod.fxnetworks.com/fod/play.php?sh=sunny nsfw or home or anywhere for that matter, but you'll lol, you all LOL.

I lol'd. That was brilliant

The cheapest gas I've seen around (in eastern Australia), is $4/US gallon for regular.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
11/30/08 8:04 p.m.
Luke wrote:
wherethefmi2000 wrote: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis, Season 4: Ep 2 http://vod.fxnetworks.com/fod/play.php?sh=sunny nsfw or home or anywhere for that matter, but you'll lol, you all LOL.
I lol'd. That was brilliant The cheapest gas I've seen around (in eastern Australia), is $4/US gallon for regular.

One of the all time funniest shows!!! damn I was going to move to Aus now not so inclined lol.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
11/30/08 8:08 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: speculation ended, it peeked, was sold off and the "bubble" is over, like the ".com" and other bubbles. I may be wrong, but I'm just goin to enjoy it while I can ,FWIW

I don't doubt speculation was a big influence in the prices, but I was the understanding that speculation allowed producers to drive oil prices up because from a market standpoint "they could".

However, I don't think that changes the fact that many countries use oil revenues as the primary means of funding government programs through taxes or nationalization. I think quite a few countries out there would charge as much as they could get.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
12/1/08 10:17 a.m.

Gas may be getting cheaper, but try getting a loan to buy a new(er?) car or truck to use that cheaper gas in.

Oh, and I just read that all the major banks have decided it's not enough that they are making it difficult to get a mortgage, or "regular" loan, now they want to tighten up the credit card side, too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JtQ4zm9WY1VD7pfQMpJDRWwu1Ww4H7yRZXJsYrkJwa3f93UlNKRdA1Di07cf78AS