1 2 3 4
iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
3/22/12 5:58 p.m.

Did you know that if we had no taxes on gasoline it would be 3 dollars a gallon, or close. And for us lucky New Yorkers, we have the highest state tax in the country, 69.2 cents. NJ is 32.9. Fed tax is 18.4 cents.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/12 6:05 p.m.

Oy.

Same taxes at $2.00/gal.

I have 40 years with the same company, trying to convince Mrs. 914 to head south.

NOT Florida.

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
3/22/12 6:06 p.m.

Did you know if you removed the tax from gas, your state would go broke even faster then it is now?

BARNCA
BARNCA HalfDork
3/22/12 6:15 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Did you know if you removed the tax from gas, your state would go broke even faster then it is now?

saw something today on usatoday's twitter. if the iranians mine the strait of hormuze, i believe that is the correct one. it will slow transportation of oil to the US and they estimate gas would, could, climb to about 8bux a gallon.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/12 6:25 p.m.

If you didn't pay tax on your gas, you wouldn't have roads to drive on.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/22/12 6:30 p.m.

Where we're going we don't need roads.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/12 6:35 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Did you know that if we had no taxes on gasoline it would be 3 dollars a gallon, or close. And for us lucky New Yorkers, we have the highest state tax in the country, 69.2 cents. NJ is 32.9. Fed tax is 18.4 cents.

yes.. but somehow the president is responsible for this? (not saying Obama.. this BS gets tossed around every election)

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
3/22/12 6:43 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

The last one was, this current one is not. That being said, I don't believe any Pres as THAT much power over prices.

BARNCA
BARNCA HalfDork
3/22/12 6:44 p.m.

found the article.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/story/2012-03-21/gas-prices-iran-strait-of-hormuz/53704546/1

aircooled
aircooled UberDork
3/22/12 6:48 p.m.
BARNCA wrote: saw something today on usatoday's twitter. if the iranians mine the strait of hormuze, i believe that is the correct one. it will slow transportation of oil to the US and they estimate gas would, could, climb to about 8bux a gallon.

I doubt it (not the price, the fact that it will happen). First of all, the US gets very little actual oil from the middle east (not that that matters, its a world market). Secondly, I can't imagine it would take long for the rather large US Navy presence there to eliminate any mines. Thirdly, the Iranians know that is an action that will result in a rather aggressive reaction from the US and other countries.

Now the threat of doing that... well that's a different story. The reason why prices are high now, is basically because of that.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof UltraDork
3/22/12 7:04 p.m.

I think the prices are high because they know you'll pay it.

When my wife managed a station in the 80's/90's, our gas was double the price of gas over the border . Now, even with some hefty tax increases, we're paying about $4.48 per gallon. Still too much, but you're catching up.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/22/12 7:14 p.m.

I don't support the reduction in gas taxes, even though my state's tax is one of the highest in the country. First, it pays for the roads and bridges. Second, since people have demonstrated that they are willing to pay X per gallon, following any tax cut, the price would gradually creep back up. We'd end up paying the same amount, without any of the benefit and the oil companies would just have higher profits.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/12 7:28 p.m.

Around here, the tax on gas that goes to construction is a flat rate. It's not tied to the price per gallon, so it's becoming less and less of a percentage. It also hasn't changed in a long time.

Problem is, asphalt costs are directly affected by the price of oil. So, big spike in fuel costs, big spike in paving costs - no change in revenue.

Salanis
Salanis PowerDork
3/22/12 7:41 p.m.

Gas prices here always catch me up for a moment when I see them first reaction is that it's really cheap. Going rate is around 1.65

Euro

per liter

Then I do the math:

x 1.35 Dollar/Euro x 3.785liter/gallon = $8.43/gallon

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/12 7:42 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Did you know that if we had no taxes on gasoline it would be 3 dollars a gallon, or close. And for us lucky New Yorkers, we have the highest state tax in the country, 69.2 cents. NJ is 32.9. Fed tax is 18.4 cents.

The gas tax should be a dollar higher. Our infrastructure is on the verge of falling apart, and since the taxes are per-gallon and not a dollar percentage, reducing fuel consumption actually is cutting into the amount of taxes pulled in vs. miles driven.

No, I can't really afford a dollar extra per gallon either, but the alternative is even more expensive.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/22/12 7:50 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
BARNCA wrote: saw something today on usatoday's twitter. if the iranians mine the strait of hormuze, i believe that is the correct one. it will slow transportation of oil to the US and they estimate gas would, could, climb to about 8bux a gallon.
I doubt it (not the price, the fact that it will happen). First of all, the US gets very little actual oil from the middle east (not that that matters, its a world market). Secondly, I can't imagine it would take long for the rather large US Navy presence there to eliminate any mines. Thirdly, the Iranians know that is an action that will result in a rather aggressive reaction from the US and other countries. Now the threat of doing that... well that's a different story. The reason why prices are high now, is basically because of that.

4th: The Iranians use the strait to move most of the oil they send to their major trading partner (China)

Mining the entire strait, however, would also close it to Iranian traffic, with the necessarily debilitating effects on Iran's ailing economy. http://www.realclearworld.com/articles/2012/02/10/irans_disruptive_options_in_hormuz_99890-2.html
BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
3/22/12 7:56 p.m.

Now if our cars could fly like we were promised they would by now, we wouldn't need roads.

mad_machine
3/22/12 8:02 p.m.
BBsGarage wrote: Now if our cars could fly like we were promised they would by now, we wouldn't need roads.

we would need more ATCs though

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/22/12 9:19 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Where we're going we don't need roads.

Shopping for a new hand basket?

thefeline
thefeline New Reader
3/22/12 10:08 p.m.
petegossett wrote:
EvanB wrote: Where we're going we don't need roads.
Shopping for a new hand basket?

I just got a new one it has AC.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
3/22/12 10:19 p.m.

Regular gas in the city of Chicago last night. $4.75.

Southwest suburbs today. $4.37.

The Accord is looking better than the Trailblazer for getting around.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
3/22/12 10:23 p.m.

Getting time to look for a deal on a Flux Capacitor and a Mr. Fusion.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
3/22/12 11:41 p.m.

I love my Powerstroke! For the first time in a long time, diesel is cheaper than gas. Vette Middler is staying parked more this spring if this continues.

mad_machine
3/23/12 12:19 a.m.

the upside of high prices.. less SUVs to clog the roads

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/23/12 12:28 a.m.

And my $450 bike is now worth $900.

1 2 3 4

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
IP5NFwNFWySWdlOY1HQqUQp2Wg6ld8DFPeKTgSQFQQkKw34WRj1RR4f3RcqndLR6