1 2 3 4
fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/23/12 12:39 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Did you know that if we had no taxes on gasoline it would be 3 dollars a gallon, or close. And for us lucky New Yorkers, we have the highest state tax in the country, 69.2 cents. NJ is 32.9. Fed tax is 18.4 cents.

Cool! We're not going into debt fast enough.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/23/12 12:42 a.m.
Knurled wrote: The gas tax should be a dollar higher. Our infrastructure is on the verge of falling apart, and since the taxes are per-gallon and not a dollar percentage, reducing fuel consumption actually is cutting into the amount of taxes pulled in vs. miles driven. No, I can't really afford a dollar extra per gallon either, but the alternative is even more expensive.

Sure, if you want big government giving you free roads. What are you going to do when you are dependent on those roads to get you to work? That's how they get you.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/12 1:14 a.m.

you are welcome to all the toll roads here in NJ.....

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
3/23/12 7:39 a.m.

In reply to mguar:

Which Republicans are seriously proposing eliminating gas taxes, let alone all taxes?

Or, are you just trolling again?

RossD
RossD UltraDork
3/23/12 7:58 a.m.

I heard gas prices are high because we are exporting gasoline to europe because of disrupted gasoline supply (Iran, maybe), not because of a lack of oil. We just can't make enough gasoline since there hasn't been a new refinery built in the US since something like 1976. My guess is that they are in very good shape and very efficient 'roll-eyes-emoticon'.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/23/12 7:59 a.m.
oldsaw wrote: In reply to mguar: Which Republicans are seriously proposing eliminating gas taxes, let alone all taxes?

Young republicans like Justin Paulette
http://nlt.ashbrook.org/2011/08/gas-tax-repeal.php

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
3/23/12 8:05 a.m.

/thread

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
3/23/12 8:09 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
Knurled wrote: The gas tax should be a dollar higher. Our infrastructure is on the verge of falling apart, and since the taxes are per-gallon and not a dollar percentage, reducing fuel consumption actually is cutting into the amount of taxes pulled in vs. miles driven. No, I can't really afford a dollar extra per gallon either, but the alternative is even more expensive.
Sure, if you want big government giving you free roads. What are you going to do when you are dependent on those roads to get you to work? That's how they get you.

Lets all take a moment and think about what would happen if we stopped paying our road crews a gagillion dollars an hour for 6 guys to hold signs, 2 to be on smoke break in rotation, 3 to supervise, and only 1 man actually work a machine...increase productivity, and cut cost and red tape at the construction level=do more with less...everyone wins....

'cept Daryl, Darill, and Darrel, who wont be making $26/hr in that union gig...oh wait, sorry, this is starting to sound like a floundering troll...

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
3/23/12 8:09 a.m.

In reply to mguar: In other words, you're trolling again.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/23/12 8:28 a.m.
mguar wrote: In reply to oldsaw: Gee, maybe I'm wrong? Are republicans willing to increase taxes as needed? Or is that the party who talks about little government and reducing taxes? Now I'm sure that the republicans aren't only worried about the 1%, they're concerned with even the poorest people. They are the party that wants to raise minimum wages to cover the cost of living aren't they? That way no one who works full time needs government subsidies in order to meet all of their obligations.

OK, now even I am calling this a flounder.

Sarcasm just fuels the fire and makes other people NOT listen to what you are saying.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/23/12 8:32 a.m.
mguar wrote: America is now a net exporter of oil.

Not quite. We are a net exporter of finished petroleum products like gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel. We import far more crude oil than this
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/story/2011-12-31/united-states-export/52298812/1

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
3/23/12 8:33 a.m.

Last one was redheads... this needs moar blonde.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/12 8:34 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
Lets all take a moment and think about what would happen if we stopped paying our road crews a gagillion dollars an hour for 6 guys to hold signs, 2 to be on smoke break in rotation, 3 to supervise, and only 1 man actually work a machine...increase productivity, and cut cost and red tape at the construction level=do more with less...everyone wins.... 'cept Daryl, Darill, and Darrel, who wont be making $26/hr in that union gig...oh wait, sorry, this is starting to sound like a floundering troll...

Spend some time working in construction. It's a whole lot leaner than you think. The profit margins on highway work are pretty poor - at the moment, a lot of companies are working under their cost just so they have something to do with their equipment and personnel. The industry is always looking at ways to improve efficiency. Parking lots and subdivisions, that's where the money is. But that's private industry, not public money.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/23/12 8:34 a.m.
oldsaw wrote: In reply to mguar: In other words, you're trolling again.

The person responsible for placing that text with that picture shouldn't be questioning anyone's intelligence.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
3/23/12 8:45 a.m.

I like low gas prices just as much as everyone else, however, if Americans as a whole weren't living so close to, or over, their means, a rise in gas prices wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I spend $55/week driving my truck to work, my lifestyle/savings/etc wouldn't really change much if that was $80-90/wk.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/12 8:58 a.m.

This article explains it all.

from the article. said: The increase in U.S. petroleum product exports has garnered significant attention lately, as U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) data showed the United States was a net exporter of petroleum products (petroleum and other liquids, excluding crude oil) for the first time since at least 1949.
from the article. said: Growth in U.S. gasoline exports does not itself translate into higher prices for U.S. consumers. Rather, export markets are providing an outlet for refiners who would otherwise have faced margins that incentivized run cuts, or possibly even shutdowns, as decreased domestic demand had created excess refining capacity.

Read more there.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/23/12 9:00 a.m.
mguar wrote:
Knurled wrote:
iceracer wrote: Did you know that if we had no taxes on gasoline it would be 3 dollars a gallon, or close. And for us lucky New Yorkers, we have the highest state tax in the country, 69.2 cents. NJ is 32.9. Fed tax is 18.4 cents.
The gas tax should be a dollar higher. Our infrastructure is on the verge of falling apart, and since the taxes are per-gallon and not a dollar percentage, reducing fuel consumption actually is cutting into the amount of taxes pulled in vs. miles driven. No, I can't really afford a dollar extra per gallon either, but the alternative is even more expensive.
Well said! It shows that you can think more than one step ahead.. These no tax people seem to be all checker players.. You move then I move sort of people.. Chess players on the other hand think several moves ahead.. Hmm Republicans are all checker players? Democrats are all chess players?? Nah, won't work as a election slogan..

Got it. All Republicans are too short-sighted to play chess successfully. Thanks for the lesson!

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
3/23/12 9:09 a.m.

Not a big fan of short hair or blondes but I've dug this chick,Hannah Spearritt, for a long time.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
3/23/12 9:12 a.m.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
3/23/12 9:20 a.m.

In terms of gas prices, I'm going LPG.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
3/23/12 9:22 a.m.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
3/23/12 2:24 p.m.

I love how every time somebody disagrees with a conservative they all start yelling flounder!!!!!

But I can't say I mind the redheads, or the blonds...

Maybe if the U.S. and Israel stopped rattling the saber with Iran so much, the speculators would stop artificially running up the cost of oil because of concerns about "regional stability".

benzbaron
benzbaron Dork
3/23/12 2:51 p.m.

I always remember a teacher I had pointing out people will spend 8$ on a gallon of filtered water but don't want to spend over 2$ a gallon for gas which has to be extracted, refined, and delivered a hundred or more miles.

Honestly why would you sell your gas for 4$ a gallon in the US if you could sell it in Europe for 8$? Its basic economics which determine the price and if gas is sold in a futures market and speculation inflates the price so be it. If the market futures point towards higher prices producers will leave the oil in the ground, if the futures point towards falling prices oil will be extracted now.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/23/12 3:26 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: In reply to mguar: Which Republicans are seriously proposing eliminating gas taxes, let alone all taxes? Or, are you just trolling again?

He may be over-stating things a bit, but every Republican candidate is bemoaning the debt and proposing further tax cuts. It does make one wonder.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/23/12 3:30 p.m.
Keith wrote: Spend some time working in construction. It's a whole lot leaner than you think. The profit margins on highway work are pretty poor - at the moment, a lot of companies are working under their cost just so they have something to do with their equipment and personnel. The industry is always looking at ways to improve efficiency. Parking lots and subdivisions, that's where the money is. But that's private industry, not public money.

I'll tell you what I know- when I go to an autocross, I change tires twice, drive a little and stand around- occasionally having to run a few feet to grab a cone.

When I get home I feel like I was beaten with a stick.

1 2 3 4

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
wmkxxdNH2kVQY7DclOZhN1uRNZlXvZ3EZGujHYgDs1K3s97rc6YCnFCZLzur88dL