1 2 3
Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
12/12/11 4:03 p.m.

I've never experienced one in any way. Or at least I don't think I have. If you have a reliable ghost story, tell it here.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
12/12/11 4:11 p.m.

I do actually. TWO of them in fact. And for the record, I don't necessarily believe in them, but i'm not doubting what I saw because I was sober both times.

These both happened in the same apartment.

One night, I was walking down the hallway towards my bedroom, when my rollerblades flew out of the closet at me. I would have chalked it up to the cat, but then the cat came sauntering out of the other room, clearly not happy to be sworn at for throwing my rollerblades at me.

Later that same year, woke up in the middle of the night, almost paralyzed... Not like danger I gotta go to the hospital, but something wasn't letting me move. I glance at the foot of my bed thinking my legs fell asleep or something, and there was an apparition. It was a caucasian female, looked an awful lot like my deceased mother, only I somehow knew it wasn't. She was just floating/standing/ghosting there.... wearing a white, flowy nightgown. I'd say I was drunk and it was the curtains if A- it wasn't as far away from the window in that room as possible, and B- I wasn't sober. Weird stuff.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/11 4:26 p.m.

I saw something several years ago, not sure if it was ghost/demon/Sasquatch/whatever, but you guys will like this story...

I was driving to work one morning in the Miata(50-miles one-way, mostly rural areas), and as I approached a tight corner my lights picked up the silhouette of something just past the apex on the inside of the turn. Expecting it was a deer, but already into my braking zone, I took a wide line which got me into the marbles, and the back end came loose. As the car rotated to the inside I peered out the driver's window, surprised to see something vaguely resembling a large Hefty bag. Fixated & puzzled by it, as the car rotated more I caught the reflection of two piercing red eyes in an otherwise featureless face. I stared at it for what seemed like an eternity before realizing "oh, I'd better save this spin", then briefly considered whether to stop and investigate - before deciding to make the rational choice & put the pedal to the floor! :D

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
12/12/11 4:38 p.m.

My favorite Ghost story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1m0eC1004

But on a more serious note, while I have not experienced a ghost visually, My grandparents house has the feeling someone is always there. whether or not it has something to do with my Great-great-grandfather dying there I don't know.

64chrysler300
64chrysler300 New Reader
12/12/11 6:58 p.m.

USS Forrestal....lots of 'em lurking on that boat. Did a 6 month deployment on her back in the late '80s. Our berthing compartment was right under the landing area, right where a bunch of guys died during the big fire. The walk in freezers for the aft galley was also haunted. That's where all the bodies were stored.

Lights flashing on and off, doors opening or closing by them selves. Feeling a hand on your shoulder when your all by yourself. That sort of thing. There were certain parts of the ship some crew members refused to go near.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/12/11 7:14 p.m.

As I watch Ghost Busters 2....

Most recently we were doing an investigation at my in-laws where shadows have been seen, appliances turn themselves on, lights as well, and many more things. We were in the basement and anyone who uses an EMF meter knows a house will have a base reading and there will be parts with higher fields near heavy appliances. We were sitting on a couch asking questions as the meter began to randomly spike to an amount only caused by a breaker box. Not that neat, I know, but I was excited. Caught it on camera too.

One day at work doing the regular rounds and I heard footsteps. Turned around to see a shadow move across the floor as if someone was walking past. There was no one there. The building was known by security to be haunted. It never bothered us, we never bothered it.

Another day walking through a newer building. (Built within the past ten years as opposed to the one built around 1910 previously mentioned.) I was walking around some cubicles as my skin got all tingley and it felt like needles were poking me all over my chest and arms, up my neck. As I turned the corner, there was a floating black mass that scared me. I felt in no way it was anything interesting.

Another day I was alone in the parking lot. Hopped out of the pickup to check the area which is routine. It was about 10:00 pm and I heard a littly girl softly call for her mother. There were no children around. I was alone in a parking lot int he middle of a neighborhood where I would question any parent letting their kid walk around in daylight. Im sure there were no kids around.

Another day just a few blocks from where I was at that point, but between two factory buildings where children were not allowed, I was chatting with a friend. We both heard a young child giggling. We looked at each other as if something was not right. After discussing it, it was discovered that only the two of us heard it. He explained to me that it was a normal occurrence for him.

My wife was rolling silverware in the Lemp Mansion in downtown St. Louis. As she sat there in a structure that was said to be haunted a candle lit itself. It freaked her out, but the manager said that type of thing happened all the time there.

Just a few for you.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
12/12/11 7:18 p.m.

Sorry, don't have any.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/11 7:27 p.m.

Oh and I recently met the leader of the Lafayette chapter of Indiana Ghost Trackers. He bought a building down the street from mine & is doing ghost tours and overnight stays there.

In my building, alas, I have not felt anything beyond the normal old/dark building at night feeling.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/12/11 7:29 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I saw something several years ago, not sure if it was ghost/demon/Sasquatch/whatever, but you guys will like this story... I was driving to work one morning in the Miata(50-miles one-way, mostly rural areas), and as I approached a tight corner my lights picked up the silhouette of something just past the apex on the inside of the turn. Expecting it was a deer, but already into my braking zone, I took a wide line which got me into the marbles, and the back end came loose. As the car rotated to the inside I peered out the driver's window, surprised to see something vaguely resembling a large Hefty bag. Fixated & puzzled by it, as the car rotated more I caught the reflection of two piercing red eyes in an otherwise featureless face. I stared at it for what seemed like an eternity before realizing "oh, I'd better save this spin", then briefly considered whether to stop and investigate - before deciding to make the rational choice & put the pedal to the floor! :D

This is the only place on the internets that the word "apex" will ever be used in a ghost story.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/12/11 8:14 p.m.

Not a believer I am afraid, nothing to add, move along

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/12/11 8:51 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Not a believer I am afraid, nothing to add, move along

If you don't believe, what are you afraid of?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/12/11 9:35 p.m.

Democrats...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
12/12/11 9:50 p.m.

I've seen and heard people and animals.

My old apartment (built in 1946) had some lingering around.

I'm pretty sure in the old houses I go to there are some hiding around. When I'm by myself in a basement, sometimes I feel like someone else is there.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/12/11 9:56 p.m.

Meh, my house was built in the 1890s, still no flesh challenged visitors.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
12/12/11 10:06 p.m.

Last house was haunted.

I never would have believed it since I'm a bit of a skeptic.

I saw someone in a red and white shirt walk out my front door when I was in the hallway one day.

I thought it was all in my head until someone else saw the exact same thing during a house party at said house.

More than one person had mentioned it to me on more than one occasion after that.

These people couldn't have been yanking my chain because I never mentioned the inital incident to anyone.

Shawn

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/11 10:22 p.m.

I have two.. One of my own, one from my father.

Mine took place at the Atlantic City Boardwalk Hall. One of the largest freestanding spaces in the world. Dating back to the 20s, it dominated the skyline in AC until the late 80s.. and is still a sizable lump on the horizon.

In the 2000s, they decided to revamp it. This included them dynamiting the upper seating area and putting in all new facilities.

I was in there one morning making a delivery. It was about 7am and aside from the crew that was setting up for a show.. the building was empty. Before leaving, I needed to use the restroom, so I stepped into one of the new ones the built to do my business.

Sitting there with my jeans down around my ankles.. it suddenly grew deathly cold.. then all the toilets started to flush (these were the new motion sensitive ones) this went on for a minute as one toilet after another flushed in a random pattern. Once that finished.. it warmed back up and all was quiet again.

sitting on the pot with your pants around your ankles is NOT a good time to encounter a ghost.. but at least it kept my shorts clean.

The story on the Forrestal reminded me of a story my father told me. He was a river rat, stationed in the mekong delta during 68 and 69. One of the boats in his squadren got wiped out. Entire crew killed and the boat sunk.

The navy dredged this PBR up and repaired it.. giving it a new crew. Once put back into service, it would randomly roll over and sink. It could be tied up to two other boats at the barge and in the morning, they would find it belly up.

Nobody could ever figure out why, but the sailors were sure the boat had just given up

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
12/13/11 1:06 a.m.

Several from when I wa younger however nothing for several years now.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/13/11 1:29 a.m.

My brother went to St. John's University, and all of the upper classmen lived in St. Joseph. A lot of the houses were really old--the one my brother lived in one year (either the Alamo or the Maze) had halved logs as support beams in the basement. He and others said that the house was haunted, it had a ghost who would walk around.

I've felt them before in old places, but never a definitive sighting or occurrence that convinced me that there was definitely one in the room. I definitely believe that they exist though.

Canute
Canute New Reader
12/13/11 1:30 a.m.

Considering how many people have lived on this planet, there should be a bunch of them. I haven't ever seen one. I used to go walking around civil war battlefields at night. Never saw anything. And I wouldn't be surprised if an old steel battleship had some electrical "challenges". As the tappet brothers like to say BooOOoooOOOooogus!

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/13/11 1:37 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: My favorite Ghost story http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1m0eC1004 But on a more serious note, while I have not experienced a ghost visually, My grandparents house has the feeling someone is always there. whether or not it has something to do with my Great-great-grandfather dying there I don't know.

Love that song. Hadn't heard it in years, and it popped up on my pandora earlier this fall.

Canute
Canute New Reader
12/13/11 2:08 a.m.

Old buildings give us the heebie jeebies. Central Beijing creeped me out after spending a couple days there and I got to think of all of the bloody history that had happened there. Not to mention that it's a big, dangerous city to begin with and tourists are always a target.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/13/11 2:21 a.m.

Didn't believe in ghosts until going to school at CSU Monterey Bay, which is on the old Fort Ord, and the dorms are converted single officers quarters. One was even the old mental ward.

Didn't experience anything directly myself (of course, I also cleansed every dorm room I moved into, and probably could have made money doing exorcisms there), but lots of people I knew did have experiences. Most telling one was corroborated by 3 people I knew where were generally sane, skeptical, and sober people. They felt a presence in the room they'd experienced stuff in before. One of them felt someone sit down next to her, and there was the impression of someone sitting there, on a bed than had just been freshly made and smooth.

Several other stories like that. Such as the ghost that told a gal she liked the new dress her roommate had been trying on earlier. Apparitions that weren't there when you turned the corner and things like that.

I'm not sure what they all were. But I think there was very likely something there that people were observing.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/13/11 5:49 a.m.

I bought my house in 1978 after the old lady living there died. Mrs. 914 gets up at 5:00 am everyday, showers and then wakes me up. More than once she asked if I got up because she heard someone waling into the kitchen.

She's also a hardwood floor nut. We have them in every room of the house and she likes to walk around barefoot, so damp wipe almost everyday. She just finishes wiping the floor, turns around and finds two bobby pins in the middle of the floor. She doesn't own blbby pins. This happened about five times.

Good night Mrs. Peters.....

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
12/13/11 11:36 a.m.

I had a friend who chose a unique senior project for his photography degree. He decided to photograph humanoid statuary in graveyards in black and white. At night. He recruited several of us from time to time for help lugging equipment and placing/holding lights, etc.

One particular rainy night he and I went to one of the largest/oldest graveyards in Macon and were working with a statue headstone that was less than 200 feet from the main road in a level, open part of the cemetary that had a fair amount of light from the ample streetlights near by. He was squatting down with the camera and I was holding an umbrella over him and the equipment since the steady light rain that had continued through the day was still going. I distinctly head someone walk up behind me - squish of the wet grass, slight rubbing of clothing like some kind of coat. I grabbed the knife I had and turned thinking one of the area's bums had walked up on us - something we had both been concerned about ahead of time. There was no one anywhere near by. I sort of shrugged to myself and chalked it up to an overactive imagination until I looked down and Dan was looking at exactly the same spot I was.

I asked "did you hear....?"

He says "Someone walk up to us? Nope. Sure didn't."

We continued the shoot and several others with no other incidents, and nothing odd ever showed up in any of his photos. I guess they just wondered what we were doing.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/13/11 11:50 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

Reminds me of stone photographs I took in an Alton Illinois cemetery. I was catching colored balls streaking randomly in such a way no breeze would blow dust. It was calm that day anyway.

In the same cemetery I was following a cat around and when he stopped to lie down next to a grave stone. At that moment I wanted to take a picture of the stone due to the belief that animals are more sensitive to paranormal events. My camera stopped working. Once I left the area it worked fine. I haven't had a problem with the camera since.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w6g6dXilAblhWeEm1ips7RZ5rsURdLFVahu7tsf7WECRMXH0MzqpZxKWqi0k8oQx