1 2 3
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/12 9:39 p.m.

and I am a little apprehensive. The last time hurt like berkeley.

I have a torn labrum in my hip (also from the auto accident that broke my ankle), and it's time to go in and fix it. It might be a (relatively) simple fix, or it might be more complicated scenario requiring anchors to secure the labrum to the hip bone, they won't know until they get in there as the MRI could only show so much detail.

I can't imagine too many of you have had a torn labrum repaired, but certainly share your thoughts or experiences if you have.

I plan on picking up a few books to read as I may be out of commission for another six weeks. Mr. Curmudgeon suggested Lucifer's Hammer, that looks like a good one. I will probably play the berkeley out of some Rainbow Six too. What else should I pick up to distract myself while I am laid up?

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
5/29/12 9:43 p.m.

Katamari Damacy. Game is frickin ADDICTING sober... I can only imagine the hours you can sink into it on painkillers. They make one version or another for damn near every system.... it's worth it.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/12 9:54 p.m.

Good luck! We'll be praying for the simple fix.

If you like Si-fi, you might look into David Weber's books. The Honor Herrington series is pretty good and there are a bunch of them. I also like most of John Ringo's stuff. The March series will keep you occupied for a while.

Heal quick!!

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
5/29/12 9:55 p.m.

watch dragon ball z! Had to suggest it since I just now finished watching every episode, started January 16th or so....there are 276 episodes!

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
5/29/12 9:56 p.m.

Oh I would also recommend the massive Lyndon B Johnson biographies by Caro.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
5/29/12 9:57 p.m.

Good luck. Now would be a good time to burn through some of what netflix has to offer.

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
5/29/12 10:12 p.m.

Good luck ECM, here's hoping it's not too painful. Did you read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books? Mainstream, but really good stories that are engrossing and kill a lot of time. James Lee Burke writes some fabulous mysteries set in New Orleans... great writer and characters that are easy to grow fond of.

EastCoastMojo
5/29/12 10:27 p.m.

Thanks for the great suggestions, I am printing this off now so I can round up some of them before next week.

I have been burning through some netflix lately, between the new Sherlock Holmes series and Trailer Park Boys, and catching up on Breaking Bad. (I still think someone should do a driving stunt series called Braking Bad.) Oh, I freakin' LOVE sci-fi. I will probably watch Firefly and Battlestar Galactia again too.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
5/29/12 11:52 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

Man, does this bum me out.

I really hope you went after the person (with lawyers) who did this to you.

EastCoastMojo
5/29/12 11:56 p.m.

It could have been a whole lot worse. I can't go after 'em 'til I'm done fixin' my broke ass self (literally in this case), but I will. I wish Scott could be here to help me do it though. RIP Scott, I think about you every day dude.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
5/30/12 12:07 a.m.

Life by Keith Richards.

Just finished it, not bad, an interesting look into the brains of really creative, artistic types (I'm not one of those).

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/30/12 12:58 a.m.

Good Luck. If you get bored you could always goof off on the internet.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
5/30/12 5:30 a.m.

+1 on the Katamari Damacy games - you will know what it's like to be on acid once you're done playing, but SO MUCH FUN. Also, pick up any of the Lumines games - it's a puzzle game kind of like Tetris, but with a couple of twists. The first time I played it, I started playing and didn't put it down for 3 hours.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/12 6:21 a.m.

Sucks you need more internal wrenching :(

So sci-fi,huh? I'll give a +1 to David Weber. Also a big fan of Peter F Hamilton and Charles Stross. Hamilton is a space opera genius and if you like your sci-fi chock-o-block full of ideas, Stross is great. Accelerando will make your brain itch. Should note they both are great storytellers first and foremost.

Also, if you haven't yet, check out Cowboy Bebop.

Do you have an e-reader and/or know if your local lib does e-books?

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/12 6:41 a.m.

If you like Lucifer's Hammer, try any other books by Niven and Pournelle. I went throught a lot of them and books like The Mote in God's Eye and other books by Niven. Let us know what you think and if you find any thing else good tell us. I'm always on the look for something new and good. Lately I've been on a dry spell...

Hopefully these will help you pass the time a bit...

Stan

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
5/30/12 6:53 a.m.

Sorry to hear about it. Hope it's a fairly "simple" fix. Be curious to hear how it all goes. Having hip issues myself, though not from an auto accident. Been through x-rays, ultrasound and 2 MRIs. Still couldn't pinpoint it, though they suspect torn labrum. Probably heading down the road of internal repair myself soon.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/30/12 6:55 a.m.

Good luck with the body and fender shop!

Another vote for the Dragon Tattoo books. I bought the movie DVD, unlike most movies it actually follows the book pretty closely which makes it worth watching (after you read the books, of course!).

I gotta toss in another vote for Cowboy Bebop as well.

There's also the old standbys, if you have never read Elleston Trevor's 'Flight of the Phoenix' now is a good time to correct that omission. It was made into a movie with James Stewart and Richard Attenborough which is worthwhile, the remake with Dennis Quaid starts off way off base and goes downhill from there.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UberDork
5/30/12 6:58 a.m.

Might I suggest following the recovery and physical therapy instructions and not behaving like a macho idiot?

Someone I know, won't say who, decided after his shoulder surgery, to go play with a sledge hammer and chainsaw for the weekend. The shoulder didn't hurt, much, and he was "carefull". He set back recovery quite a ways as a result of his brilliance.

Luke
Luke UberDork
5/30/12 7:08 a.m.
szeis4cookie wrote: +1 on the Katamari Damacy games - you will know what it's like to be on acid once you're done playing, but SO MUCH FUN.

Speaking of acid and video games, you could also check out this weirdo little Japanese "dream emulator" game from the '90s, literally called 'LSD'.

http://www.giantbomb.com/lsd/61-21188/

I found that on Cracked.com - another suggestion!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
5/30/12 7:41 a.m.

If you like Cowboy Bebop, try out the "Big O". Sci-Fi/mystery/action anime with some good twists throughout the series.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
5/30/12 7:44 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: and I am a little apprehensive. The last time hurt like berkeley. I can't imagine too many of you have had a torn labrum repaired, but certainly share your thoughts or experiences if you have.

I had my labrum severed once. Yeah it hurt. I took a couple shots of JD, and decided I'd had enough of the pain. I went out to the garage, used my die grinder to open myself up. I found one piece of my labrum straight away. The other one had receeded into my body cavity. I used my 90°, long needle-nose pliers to fish for it. Eventually I found it. Tied the two pieces together then used a (white) zip-tie to make sure they won't come apart again.
Yeah it hurt a little bit for a few hours, but I walked it off. The only downside is I can 'feel' the weather change before it does. But the extra elasticity in one hip helps in the bedroom

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/12 7:47 a.m.

I'm sorry, but a torn labrum sounds like a girl problem to me. "Enough with the rough sex, I don't want a torn labrum!"

I am cracking myself up. Here's to a speedy recovery. I'd recommend both Seasons of Treme' from HBO if you haven't seen them already. You could work your way through the entire Richard Marcinko series if you like military type stuff. The Bourne books are good, and different from the movies. Elements of Calculus was really boring...I'd skip it. Heck, read the Hunger Games trilogy.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
5/30/12 7:51 a.m.

Best of luck and medical science to you, ECM. I'll second most of the entertainment options listed above. Here's to a speedy recovery!

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
5/30/12 7:53 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I'm sorry, but a torn labrum sounds like a girl problem to me.

naw pinch, that's the labria yur thinkin'

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/30/12 8:15 a.m.

As far as reading, can recommend the relatively recent Robert Charles Wilson novels-- Spin, Axis, Vortex. Less recent, the Dan Simmons Hyperion novels.

Had a torn glenoid labrum repaired in my right shoulder-- initiating cause unknown-- maybe yanking 2000 lbs of airplane across the ramp too many times.

The best thing about it was th immediate improvement in the function of the joint. At least as much as they let you move it. Post-op and therapy also hurt like a real sonofabitch, but the pain was at least less disturbing than the paralysis and numbness from the pre-op nerve block. Though that saved me a lot of pain, a limb that feels like a swollen block of wood just isn't right.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ru8ltKk7on9piP8rEJbqBGHn8RDE4E0ldG4lr0sS7iPMcwKYU0tO2pitsWVIUKQ1