Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
11/15/23 7:40 p.m.

Bad news: sounds like its going to be something along the lines of experimental jazz, and not rap

I am still gonna listen to it. 

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/outkast-andre-3000-debut-solo-album-1235790290/amp/

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/15/23 7:51 p.m.

Awesome! Being a 3 stacks album, you can guarantee 2 things, 
its gonna be weird!

its gonna be good!

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
11/15/23 7:56 p.m.
Big Boi said:

Greyhound don't float on water.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/15/23 8:16 p.m.

Now if Astronautalis would get back in the game we'd be on to something! 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/23 6:35 a.m.

So I saw Andre (with Killer Mike and Big Boi) Tuesday evening and I can confirm that you haven't heard anything like what Andre's doing. It was his first time performing works live, with an accompanying 11 piece jazz ensemble and before he played any original works, to showcase the capabilities of his electronic flute, he covered Purple Rain. The 90 minutes that followed was a blur of the single greatest live performance that I've had the pleasure to be in the room for. Mike had an organist and 60 person choir and Mike and Big Boi closed out with a 90 person marching band consisting of a 36 drum corp and 54 pieces of brass covering International Players Anthem with Mike and Big Boi on vocals. Andre performed his vocal portion on the flute and the adaptation was astounding. 

If you like jazz, soul, funk, hip hop, gospel or meditative new age, I strongly recommend Andre's new stuff. The sound is very different than the first five core genres that I reference, but the construction of the pieces will resonate with you. There's a correlation that he managed to tie in that will allow you to dive much deeper into audio frequencies then you previously been engaged. 

11/16/23 6:41 a.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

In a similar vein, if you like Soulquarains stuff, you'll love Andre's new work. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/23 6:44 a.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

So I saw Andre (with Killer Mike and Big Boi) Tuesday evening and I can confirm that you haven't heard anything like what Andre's doing. It was his first time performing works live, with an accompanying 11 piece jazz ensemble and before he played any original works, to showcase the capabilities of his electronic flute, he covered Purple Rain. The 90 minutes that followed was a blur of the single greatest live performance that I've had the pleasure to be in the room for. Mike had an organist and 60 person choir and Mike and Big Boi closed out with a 90 person marching band consisting of a 36 drum corp and 54 pieces of brass covering International Players Anthem with Mike and Big Boi on vocals. Andre performed his vocal portion on the flute and the adaptation was astounding. 

If you like jazz, soul, funk, hip hop, gospel or meditative new age, I strongly recommend Andre's new stuff. The sound is very different than the first five core genres that I reference, but the construction of the pieces will resonate with you. There's a correlation that he managed to tie in that will allow you to dive much deeper into audio frequencies then you previously been engaged. 

That sounds bonkers!! Was it a special one off performance or are they doing some sort of tour? I'd book travel to go see that!

TJL (Forum Supporter)
11/16/23 6:47 a.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

That sounds like a berkin amazing show!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/16/23 7:02 a.m.

I was already excited for the album but you have me even more excited! 

11/16/23 7:11 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

It was a one off hosted by the Peabody Conservatory. They're working on putting together a series that is going to consist of their artist and graduates performing a set, a cocktail hour break, and then a national artist coming on to perform with student and graduate artists from their programs. Think longer sets of NPR's Tiny Desk, only in an larger space, though still intimate, with much better acoustics. 

Tuesday nights event was actually hosted in a Gothic style church, and I'm going to say that there was probably 80 people there that were not performers. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/23 7:55 a.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to dyintorace :

It was a one off hosted by the Peabody Conservatory. They're working on putting together a series that is going to consist of their artist and graduates performing a set, a cocktail hour break, and then a national artist coming on to perform with student and graduate artists from their programs. Think longer sets of NPR's Tiny Desk, only in an larger space, though still intimate, with much better acoustics. 

Tuesday nights event was actually hosted in a Gothic style church, and I'm going to say that there was probably 80 people there that were not performers. 

Man. That sounds even more amazing. I'm bummed they aren't going out on the road!

yupididit
11/16/23 9:09 a.m.

Dude next time you see something cool like that going on, pm me lol. 

11/16/23 10:04 a.m.

I'm seeing Lupa Fiasco tomorrow night with similar instrumental and percussion backing 

Info on that event

11/16/23 10:31 a.m.

I'll add, Clipse is performing at the Kennedy Center tomorrow evening as well. I had been planning on attending that, but Lupe is closer to home. I wish the schedules weren't conflicting. Common is performing at the Kennedy Center next month, I'm planning on getting down for that show. 

yupididit
11/16/23 11:55 a.m.

I just saw Lupe in Sept with Robert Glasper, Common and Rapsody.

I wanted to go to see Clipse but couldnt pull it off with work.

11/16/23 2:50 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I'll definitely have to hit you up about shows, you're definitely on the same as I am. 

yupididit
11/16/23 6:02 p.m.

I would appreciate that! 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
11/17/23 9:52 a.m.

Its out. Certainly got strong "ambient" vibes. 

for the rappers out there that said they were going to rap all over this album, it would seem 3000 said "i wonder if i can make an album thats impossible to rap over". 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
11/17/23 10:18 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

Gonna be some spoken word stuff coming from it, I'm sure.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
11/17/23 10:56 a.m.

Started listening on my way into work. Most of the way through the second track. Not sure what I think of it yet.

First reaction is that it's definitely a vibe I can situationaly get behind. I think I'd dismiss this as "the background music they play at a corporate massage studio" if it came from anyone but Andre 3000. I hope we're going to see more variation in the instrumentation as the album progresses.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
11/22/23 12:41 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bjnXy2jC7oSnDqoS0e9dIBcRsJfvs9SpsPtIGimY62MGCXGg1ZTURyPHEamyrfGA