curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/3/12 11:34 p.m.

[EDIT: this is an old thread resurrected by a canoe. Move on, nothing to see. - JoeyM]

I'm looking for some spy cameras. Years ago I used to buy from X10 and Asianwolf.com, but they seem to have a very limited selection. Google turns up what i would call questionable sources.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
12/3/12 11:54 p.m.

Deal Extreme?

Luke
Luke UberDork
12/4/12 6:14 a.m.

Board member cwh might have some suggestions, (I believe security systems and the like are his business). Maybe shoot him a PM.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/4/12 6:14 a.m.

Depending on the type you need, I've had good luck with the keyfob cameras. Search the bay of E's for #16 HD keyfob camera.

Info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

Sample (from an older camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id4C2C3SgkY&list=UUEnuA7iv-9rfb-n13ctLZfQ&index=1&feature=plcp

cwh
cwh PowerDork
12/4/12 6:51 a.m.

Not the kind of stuff I normally deal with, but they are all over the place. Look on Amazon, and try a company called Gadspot. I get e-mails for this stuff all the time, but delete it. I don't mess with spycams or nanny cams. Just creeps me out.

drainoil
drainoil New Reader
12/4/12 7:12 a.m.
drainoil wrote:
curtis73 wrote: I'm looking for some spy cameras. Years ago I used to buy from X10 and Asianwolf.com, but they seem to have a very limited selection. Google turns up what i would call questionable sources.
I'm in the market as well and I will be watching this thread for any other recommendations but as of now imo dropcam looks to be good quality, easy to use and affordable for what it does. dropcam.com You can search dropcam on youtube and its got some user how to videos that makes it look like a decent option.
cwh
cwh PowerDork
12/4/12 7:44 a.m.

I looked at the Dropcam site- stuff looks very good, excellent resolution. For 150.00, good value. Might have to look into becoming a dealer. Thanks.

curtis73
12/4/12 7:17 p.m.

I checked out those links and they are very informative, especially the one with the keyfob cam.

Here is what I'm wanting (and I have spoken with cwh in the past, but like he said, he's not much into the nanny thing)

I want a couple cams outside to monitor visitors, theft, etc. I also want a couple inside to monitor the dogs AND the dogsitters. I like the Dropcam stuff, but its pretty obvious that its a camera. I want to put mine inside a clock or a smoke detector, then have a 4-channel DVR that just keeps a record of the last X hours. I also want to be able to check it live.

I was thinking something like this:

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
12/4/12 8:03 p.m.

In WW2, the Minox was THE spy camera. I don't know if a better product has superceded it yet or not.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
12/4/12 8:40 p.m.

Curtis- If you are willing/ able to run a 4 conductor wire to cameras, you can get real cameras in smoke detectors and motion detector housings. Commercial quality, not junk. These I deal in. PM if interested. Historically, wireless cameras for home use were real crap, but wi-fi is changing that. Use a lot of wi-fi for real long range systems, and the stuff is stupid cheap. (For commercial grade security equipment)

curtis73
12/5/12 1:50 p.m.
cwh wrote: Curtis- If you are willing/ able to run a 4 conductor wire to cameras, you can get real cameras in smoke detectors and motion detector housings. Commercial quality, not junk. These I deal in. PM if interested. Historically, wireless cameras for home use were real crap, but wi-fi is changing that. Use a lot of wi-fi for real long range systems, and the stuff is stupid cheap. (For commercial grade security equipment)

I am willing and able to run cable. I have plenty of housings in which to put cameras; an old clock radio, old smoke detectors, etc. I want to buy the cameras themselves and install them in things. For instance, I can get that keychain #16 listed above for $40, it claims true 720p HD, and the videos I've watched seem to support that. If I buy the camera already mounted inside a clock it seems to be disproportionately more expensive. I have no idea about their quality or reliability (nor am I sure that I can sift through the firmware hacks to get the operation I need) but I have to think the cameras themselves are pretty cheap.

I know you're not much on the nanny-cam part of this, cwh, but you probably have tons of knowledge on the rest of the system that is invaluable. Here is what I want from the rest of the system, and you tell me if I'm even in the ballpark.

• DVR on loop. I have a 250g external drive and a 1TB external drive which are collecting dust and could be used if USB is fast enough. The case with the smaller drive has firewire but I think its also not SATA which might cut speed.
  • live view via internet/android. The security system I plan to install has text alerts. So, for instance, when a burglar shows up to take my TV I can use my phone to watch while I call the police and say, "He's wearing a blue hoodie, drives a chevy truck with this plate number, and I see a revolver on his right hip."
  • 720p HD, or at least really high quality
  • low light or IR not required since I have motion-sensing lights outside
  • waterproof would be a bonus but not required since I have patios front and back
  • audio would be wanted for inside, but not outside.
  • motion sensing (so I don't record 30 hours of nothing at my back door)
  • possibly run corded cameras to wi-fi? Not a necessity, but I was thinking that I could use my existing Win7 laptop connected to my wireless, which could have my existing 1TB external HD plugged in. That way I could do all of this without sacrificing the portability of the laptop. Otherwise I would probably need to purchase a standalone DVR and/or another dedicated computer. I think what I'm asking here is; is it better to do a system with a DVR that is capable of outputting to web/PC, or is it better to do a wi-fi system capable of going through my wireless N?

Another question I had... Many of the inexpensive pinhole cameras that advertise 720 HD come with a composite video output. Is that possible? I thought that composite was only capable of 480p at 30 fps.

I'm lost. Any websites that might help me understand the following?

• avi versus mov
  • resolution vs. HD vs. TVL
  • CCD vs CMOS

Anyone can buy a $5000 system and plug it in. I want to understand the how's and why's so I can get something that will work for me.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
12/5/12 3:12 p.m.

What I have to say would be a bit much for a thread entry, so will send you a pm. A couple of quickies- analog cameras are easily capable of 700 lines resolution. CMOS used to be described as C-LESS, but no longer. Major improvements in that technology. I have CMOS cameras rated at 600 lines, and are the cheapest ones I carry. Also, a decent quality stand alone DVR can be had for under 100.00 without hard drive. Sales presentation now over. PM to follow.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
12/5/12 3:36 p.m.

Preliminary PM sent.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/5/12 3:51 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: In WW2, the Minox was THE spy camera. I don't know if a better product has superceded it yet or not.

My dad had one of those. I wonder where it went...

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
6/6/13 12:54 a.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Deal Extreme?

Interesting story about that:

Deal Xtreme used to sell the key fob cameras and others but does not anymore. Why? Because the Chinese government will not allow domestic companies to sell spy cameras! Guess they're worried about some recording something embarrassing.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/27/14 10:50 a.m.

Zombie or not, you just reminded me I have one of these sitting around.

stroker
stroker Dork
2/28/14 8:27 p.m.

Any of those cameras any good in low light?

cwh
cwh PowerDork
7/18/16 10:30 a.m.

^^^^^ Cheap Chinese toys. Ships from mainland China. Caveat emptor.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/19/16 6:31 p.m.

Has camero, point camero at direxon prez botun en racord and downlode on camputre hardriv press link for sale

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
7/19/16 6:38 p.m.

In reply to cwh:

You can get good stuff cheap direct from China, just not through links posted to forums by E36 M3ty bots.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
7/19/16 7:10 p.m.

Most of all video cameras and equipment comes from China. Mine does. But there is a huge difference between the good stuff and the other stuff. It requires a lot of research. The quality manufacturers will deliver good product time after time. The others are just looking for a one time deal. As I said before, caveat emptor. Yes, I have been stung before, but never tried to sell that stuff to my clients. When the instructions are written in a language that you cannot understand, not a good idea to spend any more time with them.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
7/20/16 7:19 a.m.

Anyone seen a canoe, about 5 posts back?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/27/17 5:47 a.m.

Zombie thread, canoes removed.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/29/17 7:59 p.m.

I still have that smoke detector camera if anyone is in need. devil

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/17/17 4:17 a.m.

Resurrected again by spammer.