1 ... 12 13 14
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/11/15 1:33 p.m.

Oh yeah, I remember that. Quite clearly. And no the cops don't forgive or forget, but there's a sizeable bunch of the public who will get outraged if a cop justifiably shoots a civilian, then if a cop gets shot like this it's 'so what'? THAT is what I'm referring to. Freddie Gray has been leading the news for nearly a month now, I am willing to be the two cops plays out within the next 48 hours and the trial will get a 10 minute blurb two years from now. OTOH, if the cops involved with Gray go on trial there will be media coverage you won't believe.

Did you know recently a NYPD plainclothes cop was shot in the head, hospitalized and later died? http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/04/us-usa-newyork-police-shot-idUSKBN0NP1LG20150504 That story blew out in 3 days, the last news story about it was 7 days ago. Where is the outrage? Something is SERIOUSLY wrong.

madmallard
madmallard Dork
5/11/15 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

to be fair, the case you linked was a case of just a policeman getting killed in the line of duty and them tracking the suspect down.

this guy attacked a police barracks. O_o So beyond the officer's death, this wacko represented a different kind of calculated threat against the state and the public at large.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
5/11/15 6:52 p.m.

I used to have a couple of friends that were cops, and I will say, there are more good ones than bad. Their job is unlike anything most of us can imagine. It is also one of the most thankless. Sure there are bad ones, and they need to account for their actions just like any of us, but I fear all we have done is make it open season on otherwise decent people. And think what this will do for recruitment. It will simply lead to worse cops in the future as the good ones will simply go another way.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/15 7:07 p.m.

the problem with cops.. is they do not police their own. They would rather close ranks around a bad cop than weed out the ones dragging the rest down.

If that is not the case.. it certainly appears that way that to the general public

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/11/15 7:47 p.m.

Even if your statement was only half true, police protecting their own, regardless of the circumstances, is the public perception.

Even myself, and I like cops.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/12/15 7:37 a.m.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases-2014-preliminary-statistics-for-law-enforcement-officers-killed-in-the-line-of-duty

'Preliminary statistics released today by the FBI show that 51 law enforcement officers were feloniously killed in the line of duty in 2014. This is an increase of almost 89 percent when compared to the 27 officers killed in 2013. (Note: From 1980–2014, an average of 64 law enforcement officers have been feloniously killed per year. The 2013 total, 27, was the lowest during this 35-year period.) By region, 17 officers died as a result of criminal acts that occurred in the South, 14 officers in the West, eight officers in the Midwest, eight in the Northeast, and four in Puerto Rico.'

There's all kinds of people who will point and holler 'but that's no worse than [insert another profession here] and is no reason to get wound up'. Maybe that's true. The difference is, cops get killed cleaning up our messes; ask them what call they fear most and they'll tell you a domestic disturbance, typically a husband/wife argument.

I don't think cops should cover up for other bad cops or that they should receive special treatment when they are busted. Here's what many people don't stop to consider when singling out cops: covering up for a crappy colleague is common in just about every profession and is said to be worst among doctors and nurses. Ponder that for a moment.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
5/15/15 8:01 a.m.

Minority children, doing nothing wrong, chased by white police officer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7qrura10Us

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/15/15 8:41 a.m.
ronholm wrote: Minority children, doing nothing wrong, chased by white police officer.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7qrura10Us

Oh the horror of it all. Will no one stop these evil policemen from harassing these poor kids?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
5/15/15 8:45 a.m.

This thread has lasted longer than the riots and resulted in no actual deaths or property losses.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/15/15 9:49 a.m.
T.J. wrote: This thread has lasted longer than the riots and resulted in no actual deaths or property losses.

got your wallet.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
5/15/15 10:17 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
T.J. wrote: This thread has lasted longer than the riots and resulted in no actual deaths or property losses.
got your wallet.

Racist!

1 ... 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xUstmmEirUjuDTgoEXGHaBXRaJEGjiUdiqfPkR62BwRTPYlIWSIeM3hmbZYI4vZb