1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/30/15 10:55 p.m.

May Day tomorrow in seattle. I expect something interesting.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/30/15 11:37 p.m.
Donebrokeit wrote: Lead paint bullE36 M3 AGAIN, come on that is so 1990's that argument is worn out many many people have live with lead paint all over the world and they do not behave like this. I will have to try to compose my opinion/ perspective of the way thing's really are in Baltimore as I have most of my life living there. Lead paint, give me a break. Paul B

While I have no doubt lead paint is not the culprit here- careful with the rant. You've not lived til you've seen a 10 year old victim of lead poisoning since birth flip a stove in anger. Fun times at the group home. Poor kid had no impulse control and one helluva mean streak.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/1/15 12:07 a.m.

Is it irony that the solution to fake mass lead poisoning is a lethal dose of real lead?

Seriously, some of those people are disenfranchised and angry about the police hitting them with stuff. Some other people are joining in because some men just want to watch the world burn. Some others might have an agenda... but lead poisoning?

FFS. Sthapp it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/15 7:28 a.m.
Boost_Crazy wrote: In reply to mad_machine: I don't doubt that it happens. And it sucks for everyone, the people who are unfairly targeted and the other cops that don't do that and get a bad rep. Did your co-worker get pulled over? If so, what was the reason? If not, can you really call that DWB? There may have been a call on a silver compact car.

He didn't get pulled over that time.. but he gets pulled over -a lot- and he never does anything to warrant police's attention. He stays with the flow of traffic, generally drives small "anonymous" looking cars (currently a silver Corolla) and does not dress out of place.. neither a slob or overdressed.

If we go anywhere together.. he almost always lets me drive. There is usually a comment of "I don't want to get pulled over again.." or "We don't have the time for me to get pulled over"

It's a sad state of affairs...

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/1/15 8:16 a.m.

Not intending to flounder up this thread, but take a look at this blog post. I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts about some of the points he makes. I tend to not see this as a Democrat vs. Republican issue since I think the two parties are by and large the same and they are both working against the people's best interests, but some of the issues he mentions are interesting.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/1/15 8:30 a.m.

regarding lead paint and "we all used to live with it" pre-automated assembly when people could make a livable wage and possibly even land a job in a field with a union that earned you a pension for some relatively unskilled labor some with lead poisoning could ascend to middle class, purchase their own home and afford renovate it, removing the lead paint from being around their children or future children in the process. Those jobs are long gone, and economically it doesn't make sense to bring them back. Skilled labor, which is in demand and needed, isn't something that a victim of lead paint poisoning is capable of.

I'm making the argument not as it relates to Freddie Gray's case, though apparently it greatly effected his life, but as it effects the lower class living in America's impoverish inner cities as a whole. Look we take pride in accomplishing things, it enriches our lives, makes us feel better about ourselves and feel good. If you're unfortunate enough to be born into a toxic situation, literally, that causes you to have difficulty learning, accomplishing thing to be proud of, reaching milestones in school, getting a career that you can be proud of, you're going to end up going to the lowest common denominator to feel good. Whether it be earning far more money in the drug trade, getting high, having sex or standing up to "the man" to feel empowered. Everyone has a right to be able to accomplish something that they take pride in, it shouldn't be stripped from anyone. In many instances lead paint poisoning strips it's victims of that ability within the context of society and the law.

It's not an excuse, it doesn't make it right, and it doesn't absolve them of accountability and punishment. However, banning use of lead paint doesn't remove the old lead paint and doesn't absolve society and communities of the responsibility to do so. You have to extinguish existing fires, not just prevent new ones. It's not cheap, but the economic benefit will far outweigh the cost in 25 years.

drummerfromdefleopard
5/1/15 8:35 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

I couldn't continue reading after the second paragraph, the only thing worse than a keyboard commando blogger who pretends to be media is one that pretends to have all the facts regarding a case or continuing investigation and decides what charges need to be brought down and how a jury should rule. People like that need their power cut and the be banned from places with free Wi-Fi.

drummerfromdefleopard
5/1/15 8:39 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

I'd review a cliff notes of the points if you want to share, I didn't want to make it seem like I was mad or setup with you for sharing it, it was just unreadable. Baltimore politics certainly has had it's share of issues including personal vendettas sabotaging leaders within the system for the sake of personal gain, or personal revenge, at the cost of what's best for the community.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/1/15 8:44 a.m.

No offense taken, it's not like I wrote it or anything.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/1/15 8:56 a.m.

In reply to drummerfromdefleopard:

The cliff notes:

1. The school system is expensive but not effective.
  2. The violent crime rate in Baltimore is 370% higher than the US average.
  3. The percentage of out of wedlock births is astounding.
  4. The actual unemployment rate is astounding.
  5. Taxes are high and a large portion of the population get by with some sort of aid.

So, in effect, it seems we have a city of poorly educated, unemployed, single parent families which seem to produce a lot of criminals. I don't think Baltimore is much different than other large US cities. I have no solution or suggestions other than do not live in cities. At least in rural areas the population density is a lot lower so the crazies are spread out.

mad_machine
5/1/15 8:59 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Not intending to flounder up this thread, but take a look at this blog post. I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts about some of the points he makes. I tend to not see this as a Democrat vs. Republican issue since I think the two parties are by and large the same and they are both working against the people's best interests, but some of the issues he mentions are interesting.

To sum it up as Democrat vs Republican does everyone a disservice by making it all too simple.

Some of his points are very good.. the bits about corruption so ingrained into the system, it became the system. Baltimore is -not- a nice place. I would rather walk through every neighborhood of NYC than venture more than a block or two from the Inner Harbor. It is just that bad.

Sadly, like a powder keg that has been left for too long, it's grown unstable and the only thing it can do right now is blowup. Like our president said, we need to do some Soul Searching.. and then once we find it, we need to roll up our sleeves and get to work solving the issues. It's what America Does all over the world, we dig in, take care of the problem (when not invading it) and, and leave... isn't it time we did some of that at home too?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/1/15 8:59 a.m.

Here is another take on things. This guy, as opposed to my blogger who wants to blame everything on liberals, wants to blame the mess on the war on drugs.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/1/15 9:02 a.m.
T.J. wrote: At least in rural areas the population density is a lot lower so the crazies are spread out.

You tend to know most of them on a first-name basis too. Unfortunately, that also means you're often somehow related to them.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/1/15 9:17 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I was talking about out on the streets where most of this stuff occurs. The whole home invasion at 3:00am by SWAT is bullE36 M3 and needs to stop unless it is VITAL. Unfortunately, the highest court in the land has said its hunky dorey.

Thanks for clarifying Spitfire Bill. I agree on your point about no knock warrants and such.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/1/15 9:32 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: To sum it up as Democrat vs Republican does everyone a disservice by making it all too simple.

I agree. I was posting more for the litany of statistics he provided more so than his partisan political blame game. FWIW, the author does not believe that the other party are the good guys, but from that post you would think he was a rabid Faux news fan.

drummerfromdefleopard
5/1/15 9:40 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

that's a powerful piece. I'm personal friends with former commissioner Norris, and Simon is spot on regarding his assertions of policing under O'Malley and the massive amount of issues it created. The would round up, sometimes beating down, entire corners of citizens hanging out on the corner on a warm summer night, just to clear the corner and release them without charge the next morning. I was taken in on 3 such occasions, all occurred in Patterson Park a nice area, once for sitting on the stoop drinking a beer with a friend, once for being on the corner waiting on a cab, who had been called, and once while carrying a bag of charcoal back from a bodega. I was an officer in Wicomico County Maryland, visiting friends in town, at the time of 2 of the pickups and was floored. The point on it polluting the jury pool is absolutely true as well.

mad_machine
5/1/15 10:30 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: I was talking about out on the streets where most of this stuff occurs. The whole home invasion at 3:00am by SWAT is bullE36 M3 and needs to stop unless it is VITAL. Unfortunately, the highest court in the land has said its hunky dorey.
Thanks for clarifying Spitfire Bill. I agree on your point about no knock warrants and such.

no knock warrants are one of the worst things to happen. How many stories have we all read or hear about where kids get hurt because the door is burst in without warning and a flashbang just tossed in?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/1/15 10:35 a.m.

The other shoe drops.

Officers charged.

mad_machine
5/1/15 10:54 a.m.
kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
5/1/15 11:43 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: From the NY times

I'm predicting this doesn't end well. The "grab bag O charges" tells me they still don't know what the berk happened, but they're going to throw something out there and hope its sticks, or someone gets scared, cracks and decides to throw the others under the bus.

It won't work. These officers will turn themselves in together, with bail in hand and a coordinated team of big $ lawyers. The case will fall apart or end up with a not guilty and things will only get worse. (See, for example, the Zimmerman/Martin case)

Given the direction they've taken this thing, I certainly hope they have something solid to back this up.

mad_machine
5/1/15 11:46 a.m.

I find it interesting that police cars now have cameras.. but the vans, which are meant to transfer and transport prisoners, don't.

I think something serious is going to stick, if only to diffuse the situation a little longer

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/15 12:32 p.m.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/30/us/what-happened-freddie-gray-arrested-by-baltimore-police-department-map-timeline.html?_r=0

On Friday, state prosecutors said that they had probable cause to file homicide, manslaughter and misconduct charges against six police officers in the death of Freddie Gray. Marilyn J. Mosby, the state’s attorney in Baltimore, described a sequence of events that differed significantly from the police.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/15 12:35 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec:

I think her approach makes more sense. One of the reasons Zimmerman walked was because the DA overcharged him and couldn't back it up. By giving a jury a range of options it's more likely to find something to either prove to a jury or get someone to take a plea on.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/1/15 1:56 p.m.

This is an interesting background story on Baltimore.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-30/baltimore-microcosm-america

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
5/1/15 2:13 p.m.
kazoospec wrote: It won't work. These officers will turn themselves in together, with bail in hand and a coordinated team of big $ lawyers. The case will fall apart or end up with a not guilty and things will only get worse. (See, for example, the Zimmerman/Martin case) Given the direction they've taken this thing, I certainly hope they have something solid to back this up.

6 people have been charged with murder. While I agree with your assessment, I disagree that it is a good thing. When was the last time you saw SIX people charged in one crime, specifically murder?

That is what makes this seem grab-bag; them charging anyone and everyone. It almost makes it seem like its not the police that are corrupt, but the politicians... say it ain't so!

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q19bAGF2RzhHNir5axFJ9n4DluiuWU95hpTZOI17RbB47KFYnw1PinI0ZbRylJAh