RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/16/23 3:57 p.m.

So I searched online and found a million conflicting articles, searched on here and couldn't find anything relevant.  So I have a Gopro hero 10 and want to add a external mic or two.  I want to get better with this kind of stuff and I figured trying to make some neat autox videos would be a start.  I think I have the overlay software figured out for speed and all that but I want better sound.  So I know I have to get the media mod to plug external mics in but I don't know what mics to get?  I was thinking one on the back bumper so it picks up car sound without all the wind, I see a guy at Daytona all the time that has one on his back bumper.  I was also thinking one by the intake or something that way I would have options for sound.  So I am wondering if anyone has done this and if so what should I get.  Also wondering if this is even a good idea?  Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. 

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
11/16/23 4:14 p.m.

For rigging mics on cars I use 2 lav mics, one on the back bumper and one in the cabin. I have tried putting one on the intake and to me it does not sound natural. Mixing the mic on the bumper with the one inside to me gave the best results. It is also important to add wind protection to the mics with something like this

For an easier setup you could always start with just adding a windsock to the mic on the GoPro media mod and that should get you improved audio over the standard GoPro mic. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/23 4:43 p.m.

Lavalier mics are a good choice, don't skimp on muffling, the bigger and fuzzier the better - wind noise can be hard to kill even in the cabin. I velcro-strap one to a seatpost behind my head and connect it with an extension cable, it works well, I only need more muffling because I still gets some pops from wind noise.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/16/23 5:33 p.m.
ChrisTropea said:

For rigging mics on cars I use 2 lav mics, one on the back bumper and one in the cabin. I have tried putting one on the intake and to me it does not sound natural. Mixing the mic on the bumper with the one inside to me gave the best results. It is also important to add wind protection to the mics with something like this

For an easier setup you could always start with just adding a windsock to the mic on the GoPro media mod and that should get you improved audio over the standard GoPro mic. 

Thanks for the quick response.   I have two mics in my cart, do I need any other adapters or extensions?  I looked at all the product manuals and couldn't find a length of the cable.  The gopro site isn't real helpful with the media mod either on what type and how many audio inputs it has.  Sorry I'm being a pain in the ass with stupid questions but they seem to hide this info.  I really appreciate your help

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
11/16/23 5:35 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Lavalier mics are a good choice, don't skimp on muffling, the bigger and fuzzier the better - wind noise can be hard to kill even in the cabin. I velcro-strap one to a seatpost behind my head and connect it with an extension cable, it works well, I only need more muffling because I still gets some pops from wind noise.

Yea I wasn't sure if the intake was a good idea.  Just figured it might have been neat to mix in some intake roar and the bypass valve now that it's super loud in my car.  In the car will be funny.  berkeley, berkeley, berkeley, E36 M3, dammit, cone, crap, oh well.....lol. color commentary. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pnoqdDKnMAvajL0Ze1zyLTvG5crDvxQKWw9CqTELkGTRj5NNxKkv01pyXzrZkVSS