1 2 3
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
4/5/16 6:28 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: You can't bring a thermos and walk to the lobby? I haven't left a hotel without a thermos of second rate coffee in years. When I need to make it myself I travel with a blue plastic funnel, some filters, and a bit of loose coffee. You guys are complicating things.

Exactly this. Or walk across the street to the damn gas station and buy a $1.49 cup of coffee.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
4/5/16 6:45 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Exactly this. Or walk across the street to the damn gas station and buy a $1.49 cup of coffee.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/5/16 7:06 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: You can't bring a thermos and walk to the lobby? I haven't left a hotel without a thermos of second rate coffee in years. When I need to make it myself I travel with a blue plastic funnel, some filters, and a bit of loose coffee. You guys are complicating things.
Exactly this. Or walk across the street to the damn gas station and buy a $1.49 cup of coffee.

McD's is $1 for any size and it's pretty good.

volvoclearinghouse
4/5/16 7:33 a.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

Yup. When you're traveling you learn to accept compromises. It's a lot easier to carry a few bucks than it is to pack a coffeemaker.

Or google a local independent coffee shop. I enjoy the social interaction in the morning. And, occasionally, a scone.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/5/16 7:42 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Yeah. I carry the jetboil if I'm driving or on the bike and camping - or at the track because I like to make my own while I take a break (and I use it to cook when camping as well) but even when I'm on the road - when I just need a fix to make the thinker come online in the AM - the closest place is the best one.

I really should cut back. I'm typing this from behind my 3rd 20oz mug of french roast.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/5/16 7:55 a.m.

These are all fine solutions, but isn't the real GRM answer just to skip the coffee?

Enyar
Enyar Dork
4/5/16 8:00 a.m.

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/16 8:01 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: These are all fine solutions, but isn't the real GRM answer just to skip the coffee?

No. The GRM answer is to get some used coffee grounds somebody was going to throw away, dry them out, and reuse them. There is still some life left and let the sucker that buys new pay all the depreciation on the beans.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
4/5/16 8:01 a.m.
02Pilot wrote: I have an older version of this: http://www.amazon.com/Delonghi-EMK6-Alicia-Electric-Espresso/dp/B00009W5F0 If you want espresso, it's a pretty decent option. Still not quite a strong a brew as I would prefer, but I suspect I'm not the average coffee consumer.

I vote either this or the aero press but for the aero press you need a source of hot water. Seems like too much stuff to carry around so an even better solution would be to visit the local coffee shop.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/5/16 8:02 a.m.

In reply to logdog:

What color is your KLR 650?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/5/16 8:19 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: In reply to logdog: What color is your KLR 650?

No bikes in the Logdog house.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
4/5/16 9:56 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: These are all fine solutions, but isn't the real GRM answer just to skip the coffee?

Naw. The real answer is to just carry a bag of roasted beans and chow down on them as you go. Which isn't as bad as it sounds actually.

volvoclearinghouse
4/5/16 9:57 a.m.

In reply to foxtrapper:

Cover them in dark chocolate and I'm sold.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/16 10:04 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: In reply to logdog: What color is your KLR 650?

Well played.

Someone has been hanging out at ADVrider.

I actually got that one. He would need a milk crate to go with the bike though.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
4/5/16 10:13 a.m.

Electric Kettle and then choose one of following:

French Press - Coarse ground coffee, some cleaning involved, great flavor.

Aeropress - a bit more cleaning involved, but possibly better coffee. You can get basically get espresso out of this.

Pourover - easier on the cleaning front, but harder on consistency, you need to moderate the flow of water into your pourover for control.

If you are really looking for a pick-me-up and want the strongest of coffee. Small camp stove and make turkish coffee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yv6CqFmxVQ

wae
wae Dork
4/5/16 10:19 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:

I buy a lot of gas station coffee and use a thermos a lot, but I totally understand the OP's motivation here. At the Rolex this year, I rented a travel trailer and a generator and the only coffee maker I thought to bring was 110v. That meant that I had to get dressed to go outside to start the generator so I could come back in to make coffee. So in my RV search, an absolute requirement is that it have a generator that can be started from inside the coach so that I don't have to get dressed to make coffee. It may be a first-world problem, but how can you expect me to figure out how pants work before I've had my first (three) cup(s)?

I have used a decent thermos before in that situation -- get some good coffee before turning in for the night and load the thermos before bed. That requires me to care about Future Bill, though, and I'm usually all like "screw that guy! He never does nuthin' for me!"

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/16 4:12 p.m.

When I stay in a hotel the coffee is always on the cart the wheel my breakfast in on.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
4/5/16 5:27 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: If you are really looking for a pick-me-up and want the strongest of coffee. Small camp stove and make turkish coffee https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yv6CqFmxVQ

Turkish coffee is my preferred option - I'm actually finishing my second after-dinner cup right now. Very strong while preserving the flavor of the beans, yet rather low in caffeine (level of caffeine in coffee has little to do with the strength of the brew; much more important is how long the grounds have been exposed to hot water). Been drinking it since I was 10.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/5/16 7:24 p.m.

One does NOT simply "skip the coffee!"

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/5/16 7:34 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: When I stay in a hotel the coffee is always on the cart the wheel my breakfast in on.

Like a proper gentleman.
Of course.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
4/5/16 7:38 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: When I stay in a hotel the coffee is always on the cart the wheel my breakfast in on.

This is why the post is about motel coffee :)

I think I found the answer, and it's from Black & Decker!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/5/16 8:45 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
One does NOT simply "skip the coffee!"

When I was just a Tunakid myself, maybe 5 or 6, apparently the price of coffee spiked rather dramatically. TunaMom was going ballistic in the grocery store. My wonderfully innocent self said "Mom, just don't get coffee if it's too expensive".

The world stood still for a moment, like something out of the Matrix, and then.

TunaMom said: NOT BUY COFFEE!?!?!?!

And I learned a valuable lesson.

Do not get addicted to anything. Ever.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/5/16 8:58 p.m.

Years ago, what I used to do when traveling on 2 wheels and before motels had in-room coffee is carry my single burner gasoline coleman burner and a camping 2 cup coffee pot. I'd get the burner started, set the thing outside with the coffee pot on it, go take a shower and when I came back out, the coffee pot would have boiled over, extinguishing the burner and leaving the coffee just done. Worked out great. These days, I have a propane single burner stove and I can do it inside the room.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/6/16 7:29 a.m.
02Pilot wrote: Turkish coffee is my preferred option - I'm actually finishing my second after-dinner cup right now. Very strong while preserving the flavor of the beans, yet rather low in caffeine (level of caffeine in coffee has little to do with the strength of the brew; much more important is how long the grounds have been exposed to hot water). Been drinking it since I was 10.

I've never tried Turkish coffee, but was kind of wondering about it - especially after seeing this thread and thinking it doesn't really need very much equipment to make it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/16 7:37 a.m.

Black coffee the night before from Mc Dees with cream and sugar on the side. Re heat coffee in microwave being careful not to boil it in the morning. Add condiments as needed.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6EhhbEAKbZhJO59wEyCIofhgQQp2XPhFeb7q39HYfuFB1YKYAlfc65sg7TC9PVAq