1 ... 59 60 61
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/6/24 10:45 a.m.

Hannah shot on some Flicfilm 800.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/24 1:18 p.m.

We saw this bobcat a couple nights ago. It was only about 15'from the edge of the road and didn't seem to mind our presence. It hung out for a couple minutes before it slunk off into the brush. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/7/24 11:53 a.m.

From a recent PCA meet-up. Fuji 400 shot with my Canon A-1 and a 100/2.8 lens.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/7/24 11:56 a.m.

taken last night at Chemung Speedrome 

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/11/24 10:19 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/11/24 12:21 p.m.

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
9/11/24 12:53 p.m.

Gothic Arch in the Shoshone Ice Caves, Southern Idaho.

The platform I am standing on is approx. 90 feet below ground level, and the reflection is due to a 2" layer of water sitting on top of about 20,000 tons of ice that cover the cave floor year round. Outside air temp that day was 90 F, and the cave temp was 23 F.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/11/24 6:11 p.m.

I'm not good with photo editing...can anyone help me understand the best way to reduce the glare in the upper right corner?

Chris Tropea
9/12/24 9:40 a.m.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/24 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :

That's a great shot. laugh I wonder if that antiquing plaster job is intentional or natural weathering?

Chris Tropea
9/13/24 8:54 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Thanks! The plaster job is intentional, this was shot at EPCOT in the Norway Pavilion.

Chris Tropea
9/13/24 11:38 a.m.

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
9/13/24 8:26 p.m.
4cylndrfury said:

I'm not good with photo editing...can anyone help me understand the best way to reduce the glare in the upper right corner?

One approach would be to add a radial mask, inverted and flattened to an ellipsis, oriented to the curve of the light, with plenty of feather, then adjust the white balance toward blue (-34 in the console at right), in order to decrease the yellow/orange light:

At the point the yellow/orange color cast was gone and matched to the adjacent sky, a little color remained in the upper right corner, so I added another, smaller radial filter and removed more yellow/orange, again, by adjusting white balance (-100 in the console at right):

I used white balance because this photo's colors are *way* off: your camera is probably trying to determine what's white by evaluating the sign, but the light above your car is *much* warmer. The white balance setting is consequently making everything lit by the light very orange. I looked at a photo of your car and briefly tried to get the color closer. It's still pretty far off, but...a little closer.

If I lost you at "white balance," it's a camera setting that tries to determine what is actually and truly white, so that all other colors are accurately represented. While our eyes can automatically adjust for this, cameras can't, or, they can -- they have an automatic setting to do this -- but not always successfully. Your camera, by (my guess) using the white in the sign to set the white balance, caused the much warmer light above the car to be very yellow/orange.

I also adjusted the entire photo's white balance by sampling the asphalt: it's assumed to be colorless, so whatever hues were present in the asphalt were removed by Lightroom, in the same amount as the sample point, everywhere. It's a bit of a blunt instrument, though: the sign isn't really affected by the light above the car, but its color is revised, nonetheless, because you have multiple color temperatures in the same photo, and I can't see anymore cuz I've fallen down an unnecessary rabbit hole when all you asked for was how to knock down the streetlight flare...

TL;DR: Radial filter, inverted, heavily feathered, adjust white balance or otherwise remove the color you want to remove

---

More on color temperature:

1 ... 59 60 61

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
InjngK197P7Hufg7cL4VMVdxaXE4rIYhdGg80bpKpPa4b9KTgEuOUpaPpMpumKro