1 2 3 4
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
12/12/17 6:39 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

In reply to pinchvalve :

See, if they split it in half, so it made one waffle, and didn't take up my entire counter, and only charged $225 for that, I'd be sort-of interested.  Metal >> Plastic

Huh.  Actually, they do.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/18/17 9:28 a.m.

I pulled mine out and used it this weekend.  Turns out it is this one:  https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KPWB100OB-Waffle-Baker-Black/dp/B003AM7KKI

Do you any of you guys do whole wheat waffles?  If so, how do you alter your recipe other than flour?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/18/17 4:37 p.m.

I made some waffles this weekend; they were great. I used one of the "easy" recipes that used yogurt so I didn't need to separate the whites / etc / etc. Turned out really good and the one leftover waffle made a great sandwich later in the day.

Anyway, it turns out we have a Presto Flipside waffle maker like this:

and it worked quite well. No problem staying up to temp and the waffles cooked well. It feels a bit cheap but that's not enough to make the waffles taste bad.

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
12/18/17 6:43 p.m.

Alton Brown, many years ago, did an episode on Good Eats about waffles/waffles makers.  When it came to the makers, the features he recommended:

1. Ready light, doneness/temp setting, audible alarm
  2. No Flip overs
  3. Round is better.  Heavier is better (more consistent heat)
  4. Sharp edges on the waffle pattern will make better waffles.
  5. Single waffle maker only - A flip model that makes two waffles at once doesn't work well. You can't get enough power out of a single counter circuit to properly cook two waffles at once.
  6. Moat around the edge to collect run off.

He recommended a two Villaware models, but they seem to be discontinued. 

• VillaWare Classic Waffle Maker
  • VillaWare Belgian Waffler (I have this one)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/17 7:25 a.m.

I have had many waffle makers over the years. Expensive usually does not mean better. I settled on a cheap. Ok very cheap white plastic round one that is for Belgium waffles. I got it at a yard sale. You just plug it in. No settings. A green light comes on when it is up to temp. That is it. No other features.  It has non stick plates that are non removable.  I wash it in the sink by hand with a brush. Rinse and let stand dry.  Obviously do this unplugged. I have had this one for about 10 years. We make waffles 2-3 times a month. As for the batter I have found that the Krusteez Belgian waffles mix is the best. Yes I can make home made but dam it this stuff is better and 100 times easier.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/19/17 9:51 a.m.

Single waffle maker only - A flip model that makes two waffles at once doesn't work well. You can't get enough power out of a single counter circuit to properly cook two waffles at once.

I can debate the other points, but this one is just flat out false. You can easily cook two waffles at once from a single wall circuit.

I love the flip on mine.  Single maker takes too much time.  And I'm only cooking for 2.5 people (toddler).

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/17 7:58 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Single waffle maker only - A flip model that makes two waffles at once doesn't work well. You can't get enough power out of a single counter circuit to properly cook two waffles at once.

I can debate the other points, but this one is just flat out false. You can easily cook two waffles at once from a single wall circuit.

I love the flip on mine.  Single maker takes too much time.  And I'm only cooking for 2.5 people (toddler).

I suspect that the real issue is not the plug on the wall. I suspect that the plug and the cable on the waffle makers are not rated to provide the amps needed.

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez Reader
12/20/17 10:20 p.m.

I got a sorta old school Nordicware range top thingy made in Minneapolis, MN that I got from goodwill or something out there.  Buttloads of sentimental value and works pretty good.  I can't get the recipe or temp right to make 'em like I remember from Belgium.  Crispy on outside, lightish on inside and sweet enough to not need syrup.  So... even if they're good, I'm always a little disappointed. 

Ditto on the Krusteaz mix.  Mmm.  Too much toddy to run to Target now, but mmm.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/20/17 10:35 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Nope, not false. A double waffle iron is like a 4-slot toaster. It can not heat up as quickly or as hot as a single waffle iron (or 2-slot toaster). 1500 watts is the limit on a 15 amp outlet and my single waffle iron uses 1100 watts. If you add another iron it's going to have to reduce wattage per waffle. So while you can cook two waffles at once, neither one receives as much heat as a single iron and it will take longer to recover fully between waffles. If you're not picky and are cooking from a mix it probably doesn't matter, but I would lay money on my waffles tasting better!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/20/17 10:38 p.m.

On initial heat up, I would agree.  But once the iron is hot, it doesn't take anywhere near that wattage to maintain the temp, even when dumping in batter.

In my double iron, a single waffle takes the same amount of time it used to in my single iron.  Now I just get to do 2 at once :)

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
12/21/17 4:35 a.m.

I make French Toast in my waffle iron. What does that say about me as a person?

volvoclearinghouse
12/21/17 4:56 a.m.
dculberson said:
ProDarwin said:

Nope, not false. A double waffle iron is like a 4-slot toaster. It can not heat up as quickly or as hot as a single waffle iron (or 2-slot toaster). 1500 watts is the limit on a 15 amp outlet and my single waffle iron uses 1100 watts. If you add another iron it's going to have to reduce wattage per waffle. So while you can cook two waffles at once, neither one receives as much heat as a single iron and it will take longer to recover fully between waffles. If you're not picky and are cooking from a mix it probably doesn't matter, but I would lay money on my waffles tasting better!

It's a Waffle Smack Down!  

Clearly the only way to settle this is to add "wafflemaking" to the Challenge next year.  

And to anyone who thinks mix tastes better...you clearly need a small German woman at home to make your waffles for you.  wink

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/21/17 6:16 a.m.
akamcfly said:
Mndsm said:

I know that of you put brownie mix in it, and forget to grease it, E36 M3 goes way way wrong. 

This kind of wrong?

Just about. Tasted good though. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/21/17 7:57 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

It's a Waffle Smack Down!  

Clearly the only way to settle this is to add "wafflemaking" to the Challenge next year.  

It might be worth coming to the challenge just for this.

volvoclearinghouse
12/21/17 8:24 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Agreed.  I'll bring a half-gallon of real maple syrup (I can't stand that fake, high-fructose corn syrup E36 M3).

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/21/17 9:08 a.m.

Yes! Real maple syrup and real whipped cream only please. Hmm, now I really have to start making Challenge plans.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/21/17 9:42 a.m.

good thing the special class is wagons this year!

pheller
pheller PowerDork
12/21/17 9:57 a.m.

What I want to do is learn how to make cheap stroopwaffles. 

Honey Stinger makes an energy-bar type stroopwaffle thing that's delicious. 

Either that or I should just start packing waffles when I ride. 

volvoclearinghouse
12/22/17 8:06 a.m.

This thread has caused me to gain 5 pounds just from reading it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/8/20 9:57 p.m.

ProDarwin said:

I have the Cuisinart flippy-over 2 sided one.  I believe I got it from Costco.  So far, so good.  It makes 2 at a time (1 top, 1 bottom), so you get a nice waffle every 2 mins.

That said, waffle makers can be a bitch to clean.  Does someone make one where you can remove the parts you need to clean?

ProDarwin said:

VCH - yes, the spinny ones do take up a ton of space in storage :(

So, I have grown fed up of cleaning this thing.  Ive noticed the last 20 times my son has asked for waffles, I deflect and go for pancakes or french toast instead.  Much easier to clean up.  But man I miss those pockets to fill with butter and syrup!  Anyone have experience with the cast iron waffle makers you can use on the stove?  Will they work well on an electric burner?

Something like this:  https://www.amazon.com/Noxious-Additives-Material-Sandwich-Breakfast/dp/B07WWW1S84/

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/8/20 10:28 p.m.
dculberson said:

I made some waffles this weekend; they were great. I used one of the "easy" recipes that used yogurt so I didn't need to separate the whites / etc / etc. Turned out really good and the one leftover waffle made a great sandwich later in the day.

Anyway, it turns out we have a Presto Flipside waffle maker like this:

and it worked quite well. No problem staying up to temp and the waffles cooked well. It feels a bit cheap but that's not enough to make the waffles taste bad.

Just bought one of these, came highly recommended by everyone

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/9/20 7:07 a.m.

Minor confession time:  I don't clean my waffle iron.  It's a no stick finish and doesn't need it.  

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
10/9/20 7:18 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

Same... just wipe it down and keep it greased/oiled

I have the same Hamilton Beach pictured early in the thread, and use it pretty often. I also made some really good red velvet pancakes with cream cheese glaze last night, lol. 

wae
wae UltraDork
10/9/20 8:08 a.m.

The best waffle irons that I have ever used are the ancient GE models - there may be other manufacturers, but GE is the one I've seen the most of - that have the burnya metal bodies and the relatively heavy plates.  You absolutely, positively NEVER wash them - simply scrape off any "excess" waffle with a bamboo skewer and keep it oiled.  Nothing will ever stick to them and they will make a perfect waffle every single time.  Plus if you have small children it will teach them not to touch things. 

I got mine at the neighborhood garage sale a couple years back.  It had a price tag of "25" which I thought was a little steep but not out of the question.  As a negotiating step I asked what they were asking for it as though I didn't see the price tag and you can imagine my surprise when they said a quarter.  I gave them a buck before they could change their mind.  I remain on a passive lookout for another one.  Being able to double my production speed would make breakfast a little less fight-y.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
10/9/20 11:56 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

We've had our flippy Hamilton Beach one for a few years now.  The plates detach, and are super easy to hand-wash, as is the batter catch tray.  The rest of the unit I just give a wipe down, then when the plates are dry, I put them back in and put the machine back in its box in the basement. 

Makes great waffles, and the kids devour them. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xkzvDmUrEJkxmnzFnYMiXpn1NU8zgq7EkVp9wqruPWuBFycCmmEV7r6BKKoXBYJt