1 2
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
6/20/11 6:38 p.m.

Today I saw the Tinley Park police have themselves a 2011 Dodge Challenger. At first I thought it was a D.A.R.E car, nope, same paint job as the rest of the fleet. Light bar and everything.

Basically this paint job on a Challenger.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
6/20/11 7:00 p.m.

I think I've been pulled over by that exact Impala behind it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
6/20/11 7:12 p.m.

Ive been noticing a white charger in Pine Lawn, MO. It is unmarked with two speed stripes and subdued lighting. Recently they added the spot lamp. Well see how long it takes the transmission to fall out.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
6/20/11 7:15 p.m.

Or how long it takes to pop out a front sway bar bushing.

Actually I think Chrysler fixed that problem.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
6/20/11 7:17 p.m.

We have a butt load of Chargers in SoFla. I've talked to a couple of troopers, they prefer them to the P71s.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
6/20/11 7:20 p.m.

Either way, Dodge and Chevy don't make vehicles that are actually made to handle the punishment of police work. I was talking recently with a St. Louis County mechanic about the condition of the Impalas. Apparently they are in rough shape.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
6/20/11 8:24 p.m.

Rumor has it that there will be a Nash Bridges 'Cuda version.

Of course, in bright yellow for undercover police work.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
6/20/11 8:27 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Either way, Dodge and Chevy don't make vehicles that are actually made to handle the punishment of police work. I was talking recently with a St. Louis County mechanic about the condition of the Impalas. Apparently they are in rough shape.

Not sure about Dodge, but Chevy's looking to fix that:

Too bad there are no civilian versions in the works and the retired ones will be recycled instead of sold.

fastmiata
fastmiata HalfDork
6/20/11 8:27 p.m.

The locals here are ordering police package F-150 4-door trucks. Much cheaper than Tahoe's plus you can get the SHO motor or 5.0 V8.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
6/20/11 9:02 p.m.

Town I live in has a C6 Corvette. They use it for traffic enforcement and public relations. The driver brought it to an autocross school our club puts on.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
6/21/11 12:14 a.m.

Pretty much every fleet around here have already converted over to Chargers. There are still a handful of P71's left mostly the K-9 units. And the county I live in is actually about half Durangos.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
6/21/11 12:47 a.m.
RexSeven wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: Either way, Dodge and Chevy don't make vehicles that are actually made to handle the punishment of police work. I was talking recently with a St. Louis County mechanic about the condition of the Impalas. Apparently they are in rough shape.
Not sure about Dodge, but Chevy's looking to fix that: Too bad there are no civilian versions in the works and the retired ones will be recycled instead of sold.

where did you hear that they are going to be scrapped at the end of their service life?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/21/11 7:24 a.m.

The locals where I live have these:

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 7:37 a.m.

Man, they love some chargers out here. All colors and lots of unmarked.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
6/21/11 7:39 a.m.

They have a bunch of Ford Explorers around here in all-black with practically invisible light bars. Very unnerving.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
6/21/11 7:56 a.m.

I've been trying to get my dad to get a bull bar on the front of his Charger R/T AWD (with the Road and Track Performance Group ).

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
6/21/11 8:00 a.m.

There's only one company that makes a car that is actually made to handle the punishment of tax work.

Carbon Motors

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/21/11 8:08 a.m.

Charger police cars have been around since Dodge started making the (new) Charger...

We have just about anything local... Impalas, Tahoes, Suburbans, Explorers, Expeditions, Crown Vics, Chargers, Mustangs, etc.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 8:19 a.m.

Y'all don't read so well. The OP said Challenger not Charger. You know, the 2-door aircraft carrier...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
6/21/11 8:22 a.m.

Oops. Those too. I don't see why its surprising? If its domestic, chances are you'll see a police car made from it.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
6/21/11 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I can read well enough. It's called a tangent. It happens on this forum from time to time.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
6/21/11 9:04 a.m.

That is all.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
6/21/11 9:06 a.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to Javelin: I can read well enough. It's called a tangent. It happens on this forum from *all the* time.

ftfy

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 9:14 a.m.

I thought we were just posting what we (locally) keep an eye out for. My bad.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/11 10:25 a.m.

Any word from Carbon Motors yet?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wrcQBMm1flqVwsBsDmGYzGaj1F6KE4UQpF1RDMBjzqAGALXVUXu1LWWgsE9ZhXOS