1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
2/2/11 8:31 a.m.

That was a heck of a lot of fun.

In the GRM race I opted for the Integra Type R since it's FWD and I don't have a wheel (plus they're the most awesomest cars evar) and I figured it would be a great deal easier to control with all the traction aids off. I knew it wouldn't be the ultimate setup, but the controlability paid off in the first corner. Figured I had the last podium spot pretty well locked up, but I had no idea Sports Medium tires would wear out in just 18 laps. Pitting didn't occur to me, so I really Bob Costasfooted those last two laps trying to stay on track and praying not too many people flew by! The final lap was horrific, absolutely zero grip on the front of a 328 hp FWD car is no fun.

Wanted to pick something unusual for the CMS race, and about an hour before it started I found that Lancia Stratos in the used lot. Thew a bunch of power at it and decided to test my DualShock3 drifto skills. It's actually a pretty easy car to slide--it's actually hard NOT to slide--but it was a bear on the Turn 3 right-hand sweeper, very eager to swap ends (which it did at least once). Also, contact in Turn 1 with somebody (Aircooled maybe?) fragged my right rear suspension and I did 2 laps that were really ugly before trying the pits for repair; glad to know that indeed works. The last 7 laps were catchup, I think I got by fifth on the final lap.

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/2/11 8:41 a.m.

I'm not sure what happened to the room last night. I clicked to start the race and the countdown began, then it hung on my screen at "Race begins in 1 second" and just sat there. I gave it some time in case it was just trying to sync up everyone before starting; then I started getting messages that everyone else had black-screened. My PS3 was fine and still connected to PSN, the XMB was responsive... I finally just "quit game" and started it again. I'm just glad that we were able to race with the field we had last night! That was great, good racing all around.

I think I could have done better in the GRM race. My brake balance was jacked up at the start of the race causing a number of spins. Took me three laps of adjusting the bias (best part of the DFGT wheel) while racing down the front straight to get it sorted. By the time I had it where I wanted, my tires were shot and I had to pit. With fresh tires and a car that would stay underneath me, I set off chasing literally EVERYONE else in the race. I got my pace up and consistent and managed to pass 2 cars while they pitted for tires. Aircooled and I had some good racing for several laps until his tires started to go off then I was able to take advantage accelerating out of corners.

The CM race was challenging as usual. Oddly my brake point for turn 1 was too much different from the GRM car. What was different was the care I had to take when braking, just a hair off straight and I was in a slide approaching turn 1. Funny enough, I actually on a couple occasions managed to make the slide into a nice line and came close to the apex. The battle of the back-markers was really a contest of not losing control. I think most of the passes were made while another car was in the dirt. Props to Skiggity, trailing me for the last couple laps of the race, he kept the pressure up and caused me to wear out my tires. On the last lap, in the long 180 sweeper I lost the backend and went around, he picked up the position just before the race ended. Doh!

My office still needs to be put together, but I'll see if I can grab some pictures later today / tonight!

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
2/2/11 9:13 a.m.
BradLTL wrote: The battle of the back-markers was really a contest of not losing control.

That would be me. I need to get my braking dialed in on my CM. Touching the brakes would snap the rear around, usually putting me into the wall on turn 1. Sorry if I clipped the white Vette. (apex?)

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
2/2/11 10:26 a.m.

Well, monkey boy runs off with it again! We needed our Canadian fiend to keep him in line but lost him in the crash...

First off, apologies: I was pretty clean in GRM but in CM.... I tapped the red Camaro in the first corner (I think he was fine) but damaged my suspension, then I t-boned the Corvette a few turns later (pretty light tap, but it totally hosed my car), I think he was OK. I also cut someone off in the first corner which made me totally understand how easy that was.

The draft on the long straight was crazy! I must have been a 15 mph boost. I didn't figure that in my gearing and would run out of gear in a draft. I actually got into a three way draft at one point (I think that involved the Integra) which resulted in all of us loosing it in the first turn.

Tires were killer on that track. That long left sweeper in the back was killing my rear tires (driftin' yo) and the hard braking was killing my front. Hardest corner was probably the last before the straight, getting that line was tough (the white FD got screwed up in that corner a few times).

Not sure what happened in that CM race. I was completely messed up by the first lap (both front tires and engine damaged) and had to pit on the second. I figured I was done, but something really went wrong at the front. I knew the spinning doorstop (Stratos) would not stay out of the walls for long. I ended up passing a few sliding cars and another in the pits to get to third... something to be said for slow and steady.

Brad: I was wondering what was going on with you. You started out super slow, but by the time I was running with you (you were already lapped) you were right with me. That was actually pretty fun. Since you were lap traffic, you were ghosted and I didn't have to worry about using your car occupied space as a braking zone. My tires did wear out though.

Some crazy driving, can't wait for the pictures. One thing you might look out for was my rather spectacular 360 and recovery about halfway through the first lap of GRM.

P.S. the inverted start was a bit of surprise, especially in CM.

Scott Lear
2/2/11 10:31 a.m.

Lol, spinning doorstop. I like it.

Gonna try that car in the drift comp, it's really, really tailhappy but still easy to control at lower speeds. Just need to work on the suspension so it's not so fickle on high-speed corners, slide-correct-snap-goodbye.

For the record, though, I don't think I actually hit any walls in the thing, thanks to Fuji's acres of paved runoff. EDIT: Well, not hard enough to damage the car. Except on the way into the pits, but that wasn't my fault, and it got fixed in a hurry.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/2/11 11:25 a.m.

The GRM race was interesting. I choose a WRX STI and as a result of reverse gridding was 2nd to last at the start of the race. Count on an AWD boost buggy to get a wicked start! I was in first going into turn 1, then I forgot that the brake settings defaulted back and I spin in that first turn. I want to say that I am sorry for any contact that I might have caused fighting through the pack. I was able to tear away into 2nd place within awhile and stick there for most of the race. It got interesting when chimp pitted and I had the lead for awhile, but my tires were gone and I couldnt hold it. I was running about 2-2.5 seconds a lap off of my pace and I had to pit. I emerged from the pits in mid pack, but was able to get through because peoples tires were hurting. I could tell that some were bad enough that they were fighting to keep it straight.

On my car choice, I have to admit that I was up in the air between the Subie and a C4 Grandsport. I did my testing at trail mountain and they were about the same pace, but the subie was MUCH more recoverable from a screwup. A bootfull of throttle and some countersteer and most sins were erased with a minimum of time lost. You can just throw the car around and get away with it. Seeing that most cars others selected were RWD, I figured that that could be a real advantage. it factored, but was not to the extent that I expected. I really have to watch it to conserve my tires.

CM... what can I say.. All the power in the universe, but almost no way to use it. Gun for the straights, carry what little speed you can for the turns. As soon as you are pointed straight, FLOOR IT! Lay down lots of rubber, then pucker and hope you slow down in time for the turn. It was majorly about finding those places you could straighten out and blast on the throttle.

I didnt do bad my first time out, but it is really hard to match Chimp's pace. My laptimes in GRM were in the low 1'56" whereas his seemed to be in the high 1'54" range. Gonna have to put in some time at Tokyo and see how I can tweak to be faster.

Scott Lear
2/2/11 12:47 p.m.

Is changing cars allowed, or does that screw things up for scoring?

BradLTL
2/2/11 1:56 p.m.

Changing cars is not allowed. You've got to run the same car throughout the series... trust me, I would have ditched my GT350 long ago otherwise. Good news, only 2 races left in the inaugural series. You can select a new car for Series 2.

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
2/2/11 2:02 p.m.

17 second "corner cutting" penalty for pushing way wide out of the last turn plus front tires that were totally slagged by lap 12 and my race was pretty much over. The prospect of fighting my 2002 for 18 laps kind of depressed me at that point so I went to bed. Had fun though as always you guys are awesome to run with. I think my season is over as I am out to sea starting tomorrow for at least a month so see you guys next season.

Scott Lear
2/2/11 2:04 p.m.

No worries, not in the hunt anyway as a latecomer, but FWD won't be as big an anti-spin payoff on a track with walls. Still not sure why they didn't think to allow for wheel changes on Standard cars, I want MY bronze Volks on MY Type R.

BradLTL
2/2/11 2:20 p.m.

On to the pictures!!!!!

First the GRM Class... Fuji Speedway F_35

Fuji Speedway F_33

Fuji Speedway F_32

Fuji Speedway F_31

Fuji Speedway F_27

Fuji Speedway F_24

Fuji Speedway F_22

Fuji Speedway F_21

Fuji Speedway F_20

And the winner is... Fuji Speedway F_14

And now for some Classic Motorsports.... Fuji Speedway F_13

6 wide into Turn 1, shouldn't be an issue... Fuji Speedway F_12

Then again... Fuji Speedway F_11

Fuji Speedway F_10

Fuji Speedway F_9

Fuji Speedway F_7

Fuji Speedway F_4

Fuji Speedway F_2

Fuji Speedway F_1

Fuji Speedway F

There are a few other pics in the photostream, I just didn't deem them post worthy.

BradLTL
2/2/11 3:09 p.m.

Results and standings...

Administrative Spreadsheet

BradLTL
2/2/11 3:19 p.m.
ahutson03 wrote: The prospect of fighting my 2002 for 18 laps kind of depressed me at that point so I went to bed.

We cut CM class races in half, it was only 9 laps.

Sucks that you won't be able to race for a bit. We'll look for you when you get back.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
2/2/11 3:19 p.m.

Hey, you got a pic of the spin (yellow FD, BTW that is me going backwards at that point), and one of me center punching the red Camaro (note how I am ghosted).

Final Race Question: I believe it is with Fireblades right? Are those only available used? I found one used last night so I bought it. If they are only used then it might be hard for some to find and they should start looking for them (or others can buy extras to trade).

Tokyo is going to be interesting with the walls. There are a few corners I can think of that are going to attract a lot bumper paint and chrome. The fasted run will be: "All balls, no walls"

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
2/2/11 3:26 p.m.

Cool pics, Brad. Could I possibly have a full-size copy of one for my wallpaper? (the Camaro and Vette)

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
2/2/11 3:30 p.m.

That was the first time I've raced online, in a serious manner. The Boy and I have done online racing, but it usu... always ends up in a "who can push who into the wall harder" event.

I had a lot of fun and look forward to more of it.

BradLTL
2/2/11 3:36 p.m.

This series RoC (Race of Champions) is actually Nascars at LeMans.

The Fireblades are for series 2.

@RealMiniDriver, sent... you can download them at 1024x from flickr though

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
2/2/11 5:23 p.m.
BradLTL wrote:
ahutson03 wrote: The prospect of fighting my 2002 for 18 laps kind of depressed me at that point so I went to bed.
We cut CM class races in half, it was only 9 laps.

Oh ok my 2002 did nothing but depress me every race, I can't wait until next season, hopefully it falls while i'm in port.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
2/2/11 6:20 p.m.

My goal was pretty much to stay out of the way be conservative. The Z doesn't do conservative. Lots of sideways action but not a lot of fast.

And who the hell put a sharp corner at the pit entrance?! Found that the hard way lol.

Next time: practice, and be more awake.

Next series = AWD, methinks.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
2/2/11 7:42 p.m.

I tried to race to the best of my abilities in tire save mode, but I figured i needed a pit in the GRM race to stay speedy to the end. Turns out I could make the whole CM race on one set of tires if I didn't do any burnouts (very difficult) and i found out I actualy went faster trying to save tires than going all out. In the GRM race I turned about 1.5 seconds slower per lap (trying to save tires) than in practice (with no tire wear). For next season, I might keep my FC for GRM, or maybe i'll go for something cooler looking. I think for the small bore race I'll take the total opposite of what I did in CM and use the smallest car i can find, ya know, instead of the biggest. I haven't really looked yet.

I did figure out why i didn't gain anything on the straights while drafting in my FC. I switched mods around and got 60 lb-ft extra with the same peak hp, but the peak was about 1000 rpm sooner and fell off very fast after that. The torque sure helped exiting corners, though.

Tokyo is gonna be fun. high speeds, no runoff, walls... that Mustang gets tricky at high speeds! well, and low speeds, and while cornering... It basically handles like a drunken elephant on ice, and stops like one too. Acceleration, however, is like a rocket. sounds like group B, ya know, where all those people died... I'm glad this is a game and not real life!

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/4/11 7:35 p.m.

damnit, if my internet wouldn't cut out :(

BradLTL
2/6/11 7:12 a.m.

Another weekend, and no practice for this week's event. Maybe I can sneak in a few laps tomorrow. Anyone willing to share a practice lap time that I can shot for?

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
2/7/11 10:49 a.m.

I am going with my standard schedule of only getting practice in the day before. I will post a time when I have one. Of course my times are generally mid-pack times, you will have to look towards the simian world for a competitive time.

BradLTL
2/7/11 2:32 p.m.

I have to imagine the setup is fairly similar to that for Fuji, long straight, sweeping corners, a hairpin... biggest difference is the (lack of) run off room in the first corner. First lap = survival, every other lap is the race.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/7/11 2:58 p.m.

With wall contact penalties this one could be very punishing if you cant help tapping them.

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vBDdSlQoZn5XyjTyzQOi3Cy7xmceejrsKOeh5bIHMxl1MjZ7JJCqBCGNEaxzDoVU