1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
1/4/11 8:07 p.m.

getting "entry refused due to network incompatibility with the room host." Gonna snake a hard line to the back of the PS3, need about 5 mins.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
1/4/11 8:11 p.m.
Scott Lear wrote: getting "entry refused due to network incompatibility with the room host."

Me too.

Scott Lear
1/4/11 8:16 p.m.

on a LAN now, we'll see if that matters (surprisingly no change in UL/DL speed indicated from wireless)

Scott Lear
1/4/11 8:19 p.m.

Same error, 774. Should someone else try to host?

Scott Lear
1/4/11 8:37 p.m.

Frustrating, I can find the room in a generic search for Monza, but can't connect. Error 774.

Scott Lear
1/4/11 9:31 p.m.

Okay, had to upgrade my router's firmware and finally enable all the proper port fowarding, but I can at least connect to races. Think I missed this one, however. Next time, perhaps!

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/5/11 8:07 a.m.

Good racing last night. Started with 5, had a couple that were able to get into the race it appears, hopefully that will be resolved next week.

@Scott, saw you connect and disconnect throughout the race. Hopefully the firmware will have corrected the issues.

Some images from last night, to add some color to the thread...

Scott Lear
1/5/11 9:05 a.m.

Yeah, I think it was a port forwarding issue with my router, I could connect for a few seconds, but the bar wouldn't get too far and then it would kick me with that error.

After I got things sorted, I was able to play online in a variety of places, and my connection went from NAT 3 to NAT 2, which is necessary for finding rooms.

In case anyone else was having problems, odds are it's your router's security. First, set your PS3 up with a static IP address.

Setting up for static IP.

Then set your router up for port forwarding on ports 5223, 3478, 3479, 3658.

Here's a really handy guide, just pick your exact router model out of the lineup and it will give you a step-by-step. Make sure you enter the IP address you fixed in that earlier step for your PS3 for each of the necessary ports. NOTE: You'll probably have to skip an ad on the site at some point, look to the upper right corner of the page that asks you to buy their stuff.

Port Forwarding list for Gran Turismo 5

My problem was getting the ports to forward, my router kept telling me I had a conflict. I showed it when I changed its attitude by shoving a pencil into the hard reset port.

Online play seems pretty good through WiFi, but a 100 foot CAT5 cable is just about $12 bucks shipped from Amazon, so I'm gonna hardwire that sucker and eliminate that as a possible issue. Netflix movies should stream more quickly, too.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/5/11 10:19 a.m.
BradLTL wrote: Some images from last night, to add some color to the thread...

It was pretty interesting last night, hope we get some more racers next time. That shot of me (Camero) trailing the 2002 was probably just before I passed him on the first lap. He went into the corner a little hot (very easy to do on that track) and I passed him on the inside. I don't think that 2002 had much of a chance on that track, it had a lot of high speed areas. The Camaro is over 500hp, I don't think the 2002 could stay with it on the straights.

The first race was a nail biter. The first photo is the very start. I (yellow RX7) came up on the first corner and braked conservatively early (which you really have to on that course). Someone behind me (I think it was Brad, no worries, all in fun) didn't realize the braking required and punted me into the barriers damaging my car. This required me to pit on the first lap (argh).

Fortunately Brad was having huge issues with traction, so I caught and passed him fairly quickly. The other RX7 (white) was a good 1/2 lap ahead of me (I think it was 45 seconds). After 10 or so laps of pushing hard it was down to under 15. At around lap 11 or 12 the tires started getting a bit worn and things got a bit slippery.

The white RX7 must have over cooked somewhere and found a wall because I quickly gained on him on lap 12 (of 14) and passed him as he wobbled down the course. Coming from 40 seconds down in a 14 lap race to win, quite the Cinderella story!

Just to give you a sense of what the CM (Camero) driving is like, I will describe a corner:

Blasting down the straight, looking for the braking point (use the gear notice as a clue). As the gear warning appears, start braking immediately. If I get some squealing, back of to avoid lockup. As the corner comes up, release the brakes smoothly. Just before the brakes are full off and the weight shifting is almost done, turn a bit into the corner and get a bit of oversteer. Stabilize the oversteer with a TINY bit of throttle (remember 550 hp and economy tires!). Slowly, slowly add in power in the corner. Let the car settle into a very slight oversteer (I have some rear bar dialed in) and be careful with the throttle until the car is into the straight.

Driving the CM cars requires VERY smooth driving. Any quick actions will result in lots of tire smoking spin action. If you are smooth enough though, you can get the car to do all sorts of interesting acrobatics. Get someone coming up behind you, or start looking at the map (for the other racers), it is VERY easy to make a mistake.

Is it like driving a real 550hp Camero on economy tires? I have no idea, but it IS challenging and it seems to require the same techniques as real car driving.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/5/11 10:23 a.m.
BradLTL wrote: Some images from last night, to add some color to the thread...

Oh, and a quick question:

How are you getting those images?

I suspect you are saving the replay. Can you then download the video from the PS3 somehow? There doesn't seem to be an easy way to send the photos you take in the game anywhere outside the game.

BradLTL
1/5/11 10:37 a.m.
aircooled wrote: Someone behind me (I think it was Brad, no worries, all in fun) didn't realize the braking required and punted me into the barriers damaging my car. This required me to pit on the first lap (argh).

It wasn't me, I have the replay to prove it . It was one of the Evo's that dropped about 3 laps into the race. I was spinning tires off the line and dropped a good bit back from everyone, got to watch the pile up going into the first chicane.

I saved the replay, and went back in to take a few pics for everyone. After you take the pictures, you can export to the XMB and then copy them to a usb disk. After that, copy them to a PC and upload. It is a bit of a process, but nice to share with everyone.

The pic of the 2002 in the lead is the first lap, but I tried to get everyone a glamor shot.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/5/11 10:54 a.m.

OK, that makes more sense.

I have to admit I was cringing going into the first corner at the start of the second race, but thankfully you guys played it safe and stayed out of my trunk!

The first corner in most online races can be interesting. Generally it is better not to be the first one in. I did one at Sears Point a while back and swung really wide in the first corner and got a good view of 5 or so cars shooting past my hood going straight into the sand traps! (and that was WITH ABS)

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
1/5/11 3:34 p.m.

Brad, those screens are awesome. You are exactly right about that first race. When you were about 20 seconds behind me, my wife came in and was trying to tell me something and distracted me just enough to make me miss the braking point into the second chicane and it was over after that... I was turning some lazy laps until I realized how quick you were catching up. I can't wait until next week to see our RX's go head to head. I think youre right about the 2002 it's tuned up to around 350 HP and pretty light weight but definitely not a good choice at Monza. I figured it would be good overall since we can't change cars week to week. I definitely have a long way to go to get it to act right with those comfort tires. I had fun though hopefully we have a good turn out next time.

BradLTL
1/5/11 3:49 p.m.
ahutson03 wrote: I think youre right about the 2002 it's tuned up to around 350 HP and pretty light weight but definitely not a good choice at Monza. I figured it would be good overall since we can't change cars week to week.

I am regretting taking the HP of the Mustang over the Europa and/or the Alfa. Especially considering how slow I am consistently. Probably would have been a better choice for me to take a slower car. Oh well, I will know better for season 2.

Scott Lear
1/6/11 1:43 p.m.

Went ahead and made this thread a sticky like the Forza one to drum up interest.

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
1/6/11 2:47 p.m.

Next week is Toscana right? I dont have that as a track I can use in practice, does anyone know what I need to clear to be able to practice on that track, I am not a fan of Toscana so I need some tuning laps

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/6/11 4:19 p.m.

I will have to check to see if I have that one in practice also.

One thing you can do is open an online session with that track and practice there.

You might get some others joining in, but if you set the restrictions to the what we use, most seem to drop out (they can't deal with the difficulty).

BradLTL
1/6/11 7:28 p.m.

I made sure that all the tracks were available in open sessions without having to level up. Not sure about practice mode though.

I have a business trip to Miami next week through Wednesday, so I can't host. Any volunteers (laps and settings are on previous pages)?

GRM Class starts about 9; CM class goes as soon as it is over about 9:45 ET

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/7/11 10:04 a.m.

I should be able to do it again. I am all the way on the west coast but I do have a very good connection.

I think the point of confusion with Toscana is that it is under the Dirt and Snow category. Make sure to buy some dirt tires, we're going rallyin'.

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
1/7/11 1:10 p.m.

There is a tarmac toscana, you drive it in world tour mode in a lamborghini I believe

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/7/11 5:23 p.m.

OK, I will have to get online and set up a race to make sure.

BradLTL
1/9/11 6:09 a.m.

Ok, I'll show you mine, if you show me yours?

No, but really, I could use some help getting my Mustang to stay underneath me. So here is 573hp and 594 ft-lbs of last place...

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
1/9/11 7:35 a.m.

I checked Toscana last night and it looks like dirt only, you guys want to maybe skip to the next track?

Brad I think you might want to almost swap settings on your sway bars, that much differential to the rear is probably making that thing pretty slippery. I've also found that I drive better when I keep my braking force pretty low, that way I have less of a chance of locking up all 4 wheels if my initial pedal input is too much.

BradLTL
1/9/11 8:04 a.m.

I started at 3/5 on the anti-roll bar settings and have gradually worked toward the current settings... it has been improved very slightly, reversing the settings seems counter-intuitive, but worth a shot. I'll give it a try when I get back from Miami

thestig99
thestig99 New Reader
1/9/11 11:55 a.m.

So I'm planning on acquiring a TV/PS3/GT5 pretty soon. Anyone know of a decent racing wheel with a 3rd pedal that's a lot cheaper than a G25/G27?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9ujLW2HRf5gf7FjOth679SgFmQ7uwGjc1mWqUKbyVkmrjOAJzokA4G3o0Qh12dkA