1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/22/11 9:31 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: You might as well grab a car for the CM class as well. :) You can do whatever mods you would like to it... just remember you'll be running on Comfort-Medium tires without traction control or ABS.

yeah I went for massive car, massive engine, and massive power. Not the best choice. The GRM car is much easier with no ABS than the CM car, and accelerating a 730hp, 1300kg mustang on comfort tires isnt exactly a walk in the park. Would I pick a different car if I had the choice? Maybe, but it would probobly be even bigger and heavier, like a Daytona or something. Burnouts are fun

Oh and the crazy paintjob probobly won't last after tuesday. It burns my eyes a little lol

thestig99
thestig99 New Reader
1/23/11 8:20 a.m.

I'm bad enough with the Z, you think more power and less tire is the answer?

It can be a bit of a handful, but that's the cars' fault. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/23/11 10:21 a.m.

In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson... "More Poooooowerrrrrrr!"

After driving a CM car a couple weeks, the GRM car will seem like cake. It will handle like a dream.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/23/11 12:29 p.m.

+1 to that. My FC is a freakin vacation compared to that Mach 1, but something tells me a supercharged Daytona would be even more...power.... Maybe next time. Also I used to pass them by in the used car lot constantly, Now i've been waiting for one to show up for a long time...

Nothing says America like a car with rediculous levels of power, crazy showy looks, and so much excess weight that with all of its noise and energy consumption, it can barely move. God bless America.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/23/11 6:24 p.m.

More on topic: for next season's race, if we went with your CM small bore cup idea (which I would vote for), what might the rules look like for that? 1974 and earlier under 2000cc? I think we could have a cool japan vs. europe thing. I'd have a really hard time trying to pick a car, because there are just so many awesome ones to choose from...

BradLTL
1/23/11 6:42 p.m.

That is exactly what I am thinking. I need to research the available cars and make sure the years and engine size will give enough variety. I'll have to update my car database to include engine size.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/24/11 1:07 a.m.

There should be enough variety. I have 19 cars that qualify under those rules that could be competitive (eg. i'm not counting a 2CV or anything with super low power) just in my garage, and I don't have nearly all of them. There's a spitfire, 2 cosmos, 4 nissan/datsuns, a couple alfas, a couple Isuzus, elan, evora, a celica, and plenty more. It should be pretty varied. Frankly i'm totally devided between all of them for what to pick, I love them all. They are all standard, which kinda sucks, but I don't care. I would also like to say we shouldn't use aero upgrades either. Most standard cars only allow for a giant rear wing anyway and they look stupid and are not exactly period correct. Also oddly, the old mini is a '98 and I vote for the classic rally cars to be off limits. Also also oddly I ended up with more than 1 of each of the old skylines that qualify, so if someone wanted to use one but hasn't seen one crop up in the used car lot I can send ya one. I should probobly stop speculating on next season now at the very least until this season is done with

BradLTL
1/24/11 10:34 a.m.

Spent some time this morning (thanks to my son waking up at 3:45 and refusing to go back to sleep until 5:15) tweaking and tuning my S2000 a bit more.

After I was happy with the S2000(GRM) setup, I decided to test a car with the "projected" Small Bore Cup (SBC) Class. At less than half the HP, it was 1-2 seconds faster than my CM Class GT350 @ Monaco. I'm sure this track is a bit of an exception with all the turns, but it was a bit surprising because it felt slow going around the track. As you say though, focus on finishing this series before worrying about the next!

thestig99
thestig99 New Reader
1/24/11 6:25 p.m.

Gonna go do a little suspension tweaking. I CAN get it to consistent 1:49's, dammit!

Also.... did somebody mention brightly colored wheels?

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/24/11 8:01 p.m.

Yes I believe someone mentioned bright wheels at some point. Perhaps we could make this race look like Hot Import Nights meets Monaco? also, with my FC i've been encoutering slight oversteer, but lots of understeer going through the tunnel. How about your Z?

BradLTL
1/24/11 8:09 p.m.

I get wicked understeer right at the end of the tunnel.

I would throw some nice TVR color change on my wheels, but I'm a lowly standard car.

I think that we are going to have a good race tomorrow... if we can avoid running into each other long enough to get some good laps!

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
1/24/11 8:45 p.m.

I got some practice in for both classes. There is no understeer anywhere for me, I am going way loose. I can throttle and brake steer like mad. This is going to require some patients though... lets see if I can stay out of the walls.

Not sure where any passing is going to occur.

thestig99
thestig99 New Reader
1/24/11 8:55 p.m.

My problem is brakes, which I just cannot seem to modulate. With the ABS on I'm easily turning 1:48-1:49 laps... off and I'm stuck with 1:50-1:51. Problem areas are coming out of the tunnel down the hill, and going into the 1st corner.

The Z is an interesting beast. Understeer in the really tight spots (the hairpins, and that little corner of death after the tunnel), and wild oversteer everywhere else. Good luck seeing through the tire smoke when you're lapping me

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/24/11 9:40 p.m.

yeah passing is going to be interesting. My plan is wait until someone crashes and carefully pass then, hoping i don't crash myself lol. I think this race will be won by the one who bumps the walls the least. those mechanical damage dealies sure are sensitive...

BradLTL
1/25/11 7:49 p.m.

Room is up @ 1472-6399-8494-1421-3608

thestig99
thestig99 New Reader
1/25/11 8:24 p.m.

>All night: Random internet activities >8:50: Hey, GT5 room must be up by now >8:50: Page cannot be found.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/25/11 10:08 p.m.

Sorry we missed you stig99! I see you signed in at one point (assuming you are saabstig or whatever the name was, be sure to put it on the psn id thread here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-gran-turismo-5-gamertags/29038/page1/ ) . The internet can definitely suck sometimes.

Btw we should revive those time trial challenges in that thread. Those were fun.

Also, good racing tonight. That took way too much concentration staying off the walls! and i'm glad i didn't have too much damage to deal with during the CM race, though rear tire management was pretty tough...

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
1/26/11 5:38 a.m.

Yeah, I made it in once I was back online but couldn't do more than watch.

Oh well. Maybe next week...

BradLTL
1/26/11 5:59 a.m.

In reply to thestig99:

That sucks. Racing was good, we had a couple randoms join, but they ran clean so it made it more entertaining. Like I said, might as well pick up a CM class car. You could have joined us for the 2nd race last night.

BradLTL
1/26/11 9:48 a.m.

For some reason, the new paint on my car didn't make me any faster. That is disappointing.

Some visuals from Monaco...

Côte d'Azur_23

Côte d'Azur_22

Côte d'Azur_21

Côte d'Azur_19

Côte d'Azur_18

Côte d'Azur_16

Côte d'Azur_14

Côte d'Azur_12

Côte d'Azur_9

Côte d'Azur_10

Côte d'Azur_7

Côte d'Azur_6

Côte d'Azur_4

Côte d'Azur

BradLTL
1/26/11 10:29 a.m.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
1/26/11 11:31 a.m.

Yeah that lapierre guy sure put up a fight! a few laps from the end we were both having rear tire issues (see pic above) so he pitted and I didn't. He was catching up by a few seconds a lap, but he just couldn't make it in time. 2 more laps and I think he would've blown my doors off, leaving me burning my totally worn out tires. Similar story for the first race, that Dcollins guy was about 6-9 seconds back the whole time, until I pitted halfway through. He didn't pit until i caught back up too him, at which point there were only 4 laps or so left, and my tires were good enough to not lose any time. I did spin on the last corner, though, thanks to some attempted 'victory lap drifting'. I do hope that french canadian guy comes here and joins the series. he had me sweating in my ginormous Mustang!

BradLTL
1/26/11 11:39 a.m.

I sent him a msg and invited him back. I was pretty impressed that he joined the room and immediately asked the rules rather than just picking whatever car he wanted.

He was also fast, even being a back marker like me, it is always good to raise the level and quantity of competition.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/26/11 11:42 a.m.

Are all of you using a wheel setup? I really want to buy it just to race with you all, but i don't have the space/money/care to buy a wheel setup.

I could hang in GT4 (and domintate heh heh heh( with the controller, but i'm unsure if i could in GT5.

BradLTL
1/26/11 11:49 a.m.

I use a DFGT strapped to a collapsable card table. You are welcome to join a race and see how you do.

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zmiWJs9SxG3ZmtUc3dL7DngSp6gXwWIJwsFdAsUsrKSUZcOFZDt1sohgGYjfCjIa