914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/9/12 3:11 p.m.

Nope. Not a car.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/914Dan/?action=view&current=MVI_0889.mp4

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/914Dan/?action=view&current=MVI_0884.mp4

Spent a week playing with the Marines at 29 Palms California.

Propellants are chosen based on how far you want the projectile to go, they range from 1 to 8. Pumping zone 8 stuff bad things happen to the cannon; but the Marines get all excited. This 10,000 lb. cannon gets pushed backward a foot with every shot, even though the trailing legs are dug in pretty good.

The high zone stuff rattles your Soul! Ever stood on the line when Gassers are running at the drags? Not even close, this is reverb!

All of the vehicles within 1/4 mile have their windows rolled down, otherwise they are blown out.

Soldiers are not allowed to shoot more than 10 rounds of this stuff, the concussion impacts their health and sleeping habits. (bad dreams and breathing)

We shot 50 rounds of high zone stuff, I got to pull the trigger twice!

The projectile (bullet) ended up 20 miles down range.

29 Palms is 3/4 the size of Rhode Island.

More pics later, long week ....

Baghdad Highway.

No, this is on the highway, not a military base.

These guys are here 200 of 365 days. Cactii, taruntulas, Black Widows and oh yeah, when you go to the Porta-Potti - lift the seat and peek around for scorpions.

If you're not out by sunset, you're camping out; not allowed to leave.

God Bless these guys - - - screw that.

Me letting one fly! Take a look at the rear legs of the weapon. They had to stop, dig out, relocate and start again. 25 ft. lanyard because of the concussion.

It took six minutes!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
12/9/12 3:22 p.m.

Very cool looks like some fun

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/9/12 3:42 p.m.

A reminder from the land of where stuff don't rust .....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/12 4:36 p.m.

if you are going to pull a trigger... you took the saying "go big or go home!" to heart...

I bet it sounds like fun

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/9/12 8:17 p.m.

That smile should wear off by about May.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/9/12 9:15 p.m.

nifty

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/10/12 7:07 a.m.

Big boom = big fun. Next time you go, can you put me in your luggage?

chuckles
chuckles Reader
12/10/12 9:17 a.m.

What bore size? What propellant? Black powder?

yamaha
yamaha Dork
12/10/12 9:41 a.m.

155mm M777 is what it looks like......and it wouldn't be blackpowder....

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/10/12 11:46 a.m.

155mm (6.100 inches) M-777, H203A1. Again, 1 to 8 in horsepower, we fired eights.

I have to qualify this by sayng the bullet makers don't talk to us, the gun makers. They invent the latest greatest propellant and never even consider whether the tube can stand up to that kind of pressure. The issue I am investigating is the propellant has titanium in it to slow the burn rate. Under intense heat and pressure the Ti goes right to a gas but 4ft. down bore is cools to a liquid, sticks inside the rifled grooves and then goes solid, taking with it all the debris and BS with it. This is harder'n hell, like a ceramic. Cut the tube in half where you can get at it and you can't remove this stuff with a hammer and chisel. The problem is the projectile has a band of copper around its butt. In the first two inches of forward movement, the rifling cuts grooves into the copper forcing the projectile to follow the helix of the rifling. With the rifled grooves full of crap, the band gets removed, the shell "ballets" or bounces down the bore. One in Afghanistan bounced so bad that the rear of the shell was so tipped up that it hit the inside of the muzzle brake, causing the thing to blow into 40 or so pieces. No one got hurt, luckily I didn't have to do a field trip for that one.

The question today is: "What's changed in the last five years to cause this problem?"

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/10/12 12:01 p.m.

Unleaded propellant?

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
12/10/12 12:26 p.m.

They stopped using hair spray?

yamaha
yamaha Dork
12/10/12 12:41 p.m.

Time to put magnesium in it instead?

chuckles
chuckles Reader
12/10/12 12:48 p.m.

The REALLY big guns, Battleship size, use black.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
12/10/12 3:30 p.m.

CO2 regulation?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/10/12 3:39 p.m.

They stopped putting a little bit of Chuck Norris's hair in every bullet?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/10/12 4:24 p.m.

Ethanol!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PJRbhvZanpsorFDmj8CYfMWp1XPRtiztn4bUHhTcxmo7BpVeGYdoltGp7EQ20QJM