Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/28/23 11:33 a.m.

So a few weeks ago, I contacted a handful of gutter replacement companies and two got back to me.  One came out and actually spent some time checking things out, explaining possible issues, etc.  Second guy walked to my backyard with his wheel measure thing, rolled it the length of the house and said I’ll give you a quote here in a minute.  I went with #1 after they added a 10% vet discount to get closer to #2.

Signed their estimate, about a week later said when will you be scheduling the work?  They said you’ll be contacted next Friday.  Following Tuesday said you didn’t contact me, he said you’re on the list and we haven’t forgotten you.

Apparently they did because SWMBO went to my house at lunch on Tuesday to let my dog out and called me.  There was a box truck outside and your FRONT gutters are in the yard.  (They were supposed to do the back…)  So obviously I get the full deal for half price, sweet.

Got home Tuesday and I can see from my driveway it doesn’t look quite right.  Then noticed all the screws and nails all over the place, including driveway (great).  I got my drone out and took a bunch of close-up photos.

I just emailed the contact with the Flickr album and he says everything looks correct.  Can someone with actual knowledge of gutters/houses tell me did they do at least a competent job?  If not perfect?

Flickr album

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/28/23 12:56 p.m.

Competent?  Probably.  Pretty?  No.

I would hope that if you're putting screws into white material on the job, that the screw heads would be white also.

I notice you've got some tree branches overhanging, even touching the roof.  I would prune those back, any movement over time could cause damage to the shingles there.  You'd also have less leaf litter on the roof.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
7/28/23 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

if they did the front for free, I don't see how you can complain about how it looks when it was free. Im not a gutter expert, but nothing stands out as bad in those pics. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/28/23 1:57 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I know 2 people that let those branches go too close and they had attic raccoon issues.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/28/23 2:14 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I know 2 people that let those branches go too close and they had attic raccoon issues.  

It doesn't take tree limbs to have raccoon problems.   I've seen them use gutters.  

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
7/28/23 2:22 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

In reply to Jerry :

if they did the front for free, I don't see how you can complain about how it looks when it was free.

If I didn't have gutters in front at all, you would be correct.  But they took down decent gutters that were not very old, and replaced them.

If you took your new car to Tire Discounters for new tires with expensive OEM wheels, and you came back to $90 American Racing wheels, would you say "well they were free..."?

But as I said, I'm not particularly worried about pretty, if they are functional and won't leak.  I replaced the roof in 2020 and it was very expensive because of prior water damage.

No Time
No Time UltraDork
7/28/23 2:41 p.m.

So you have any before pictures?  

Im not an expert, but there a few things that stand out that I'm curious if they are new or from the install 

- There a few spots where the first course  of shingles are raised up. If they don't flatten out after a couple days of sun, I'd want to take a look and see if they left fasteners from the old gutters under them. 

- The flashing looks a bit beat up in several places and if the roof was replaced with new flashing installed at that time, then they caused the damage during removal/installation and should at least straighten some of the worst sections. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/23 3:38 p.m.

The only thing that really stands out to me is the screws running through the drip edge to fasten the gutter covers. It doesn't look like there is any sealant to keep water from running through those holes and into the facial board. 

I also thought the gutter covers were supposed to slide under the shingles and fasten to the gutter, not the fascia. More like this. 

Are Leaf Guard Gutters Worth the Investment?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/28/23 5:08 p.m.

Free or not, that looks like E36 M3 to me.  If I saw it I would assume you did it yourself from Home Depot crap and got frustrated 1/2 way through and said berkeley it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uM3MSZJhEVPmshz7vadaZdMjsAv8GweaaQNwtG1hbL1iIDo5qzMUPB2oSQdPAyfc