1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
5/11/09 10:08 p.m.

If you build a Rio Grand narrow gauge model train layout in the basement and you don't have a Galloping Goose, you ain't e36 m3.

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
5/11/09 10:44 p.m.

When I was younger, I used to railfan all the time. Mainly the MBTA (Mass. Bay Transportation Authority, a.k.a. The T) and Guilford (a.k.a. the worst-run railroad in America). I got to tour the cab of an F40PH commuter rail locomotive and an SD26 freight loco (these were pre-9/11 days). I rarely railfan anymore, but I keep up with the scuttlebutt on various railfan forums.

I also have a stash of HO scale trains I've collected over the years. I never set up a layout due to lack of space and me eventually getting into cars and paintball, but when I move out of my parents' house I will set up a layout.

MBTA F40PH:

Guilford SD26:

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
5/12/09 6:07 a.m.

I've been in the stationary cabs of a few locomotives. The Big Boy (last page) was truly impressive from a sheer size standpoint. I also snuck into a GG-1 at the Altoona museum and sat in the catbird seat. That was waaaay cool. You can still smell the 'electrics' inside. Imagining what it must have been like to run one is just impossible for my brain to get around. Recently, I was at the Strasburg museum and talked my way into a restored F unit in Reading livery that is used for rail excursions. Toured the engine area and then had a seat in the cab. Wow. Just wow. The view is definately a king-of-the-world feeling. If I had started 20 years ago, I'd have gone for an engineer's job. Too late for me now. Union rules make starting out in railroading at my graying age less than appealing.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/12/09 6:44 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: I've been in the stationary cabs of a few locomotives.

When I was a kid I was allowed up into the cab of Reading T-1 2102 while she was under steam (but stationary between runs.)

I was once promised a cab ride in the NKP 765 but that was several years ago, I don't know if the offer still stands.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/09 7:59 a.m.
John Brown wrote: From the title I was so expecting SOMEONE to toss in a dirty comment.

There was one time in Vegas with a little tank engine...

I love to travel by train. When I was 19 I took Amtrak down to Daytona for testing. It was long, about 26 hours i think, but a real nice ride. We had about an hour layover in DC to change engines and I went and walked around Union Station, and then we had another hour in the morning somewhere in GA that I slept through. It was nice to be able to stretch out and relax, or get up and walk around if you wanted to without being tackled. I would love to see a return to luxury rail travel instead of flights for shorter trips. Trains are so much less hassel than flying that It would have to save me alot of time to fly instead.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/09 10:14 a.m.

Generally when I go up to NYC for pleasure, I take the commuter train from princeton junction to Penn station under the garden.

definatly worth a little hassle as opposed to a LOT of hassle

kpm
kpm New Reader
5/12/09 1:05 p.m.
ddavid said: I also snuck into a GG-1 at the Altoona museum

I was born and raised in Altoona. We just went to the Horse Shoe Curve on Mother's Day,but didn't pay the six bucks to go up to the top. I spent enough time up there when it was free.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nJiBf4FLk5kQwSdtODw6T3wBXVXNOKl60iz7l4gkdUWXjN6K40jVOeMj95JO51QW