1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
11/13/23 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I think I understand where you are coming from.  I know there are some people in the Boomer generation who joined National Guard or whatever to avoid getting drafted.  Did their time in the N.G., never set foot on foreign soil, and now 50 years later people are thanking them, for, essentially, being a legal draft dodger.  

If I know someone, and know what they did in the military, I might thank them in a personal way. 

My grandfather fought in WWII, cavalry.  He never talked much about it, and never wore his uniform except in parades- and even then, he preferred to ride his old-timey bike in civilian clothes.  He had a handicapped hang tag on his car that he got basically because he was a vet, but he preferred to park further out so he could get some exercise.  He never pulled the "I'm a vet so give me free E36 M3" card.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/13/23 11:21 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

You get it, dead on the screws. 

One of my friends, Jerry. Jerry was in 'Nam. Like for real. Survived two helicopter crashes. Baddest motherberkeleyer I know. Funniest guy on EARTH. Will gladly talk about his time in the Marines, tell some wild stories (with an excellent east coast accent that only makes it more hilarious) but Jerry will never lean into his time. I think he has a purple heart out of those crashes as well, not really sure. Never asked. He never volunteered. That's the type of guy that should absolutely get whatever the berkeley he wants. The guy I mentioned earlier? He actually got kicked out of VA housing for pulling a gun on his (now) wife- the charges were later dropped because she refused to testify or some E36 M3. berkeley that guy. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/13/23 3:08 p.m.

I probably would've dodged the draft for WW2 as well. Can't eat with you, swim with you, or piss with you but to want to force me to fight with you? Come home to get lynched and  dragged. Nah fam. Shout out to those who did though. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
11/13/23 3:30 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

For clarification, Boomers were Vietnam era.  And yeah, I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same, especially for Vietnam- with vets coming home from the war and getting spat on by protesters.  The WWII generation gave the Boomers E36 M3 for not wanting to "do their patriotic duty" - go off and die in some jungle E36 M3hole.  It was a helluva time.  

The Reserves / N.G. loophole seemed like it closed for those in my generation.  I know a guy who's in the Guard and he's done more tours overseas than I can count.  I think it started around Iraq I, in the early 90's.  

I think being a "Vet' sort of falls in with other public service type jobs that people seem to feel compelled to "thank" for - First Responders and teachers being a few others.  This "thanking" seems to be lip service and an excuse to pay them E36 M3.  Want to raise my taxes to pay teachers, military, and first responders more?  I'm fine with that.  Money talks.  You-know-what walks.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/13/23 4:15 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

It's the office pizza party. I don't generally want to hang out with my coworkers. What I do want is money. Wanna thank me for being awesome? Pay me. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/13/23 4:33 p.m.

My cousin Jack is one of the ones who didn't come back from Vietnam. His name is on the wall.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XdXx0Q46UbCgTHDf7kmZzCz0FeGDeH2wGveAzA9qXKFnXDKK98lLqQZBLllb8OP3