ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/29/20 10:34 a.m.

I currently use a Logitech G430 headset.  I like it.  But, the audio cable has started to (I believe) get flaky on it.*

I would like to do 1 of the following:

1) Replace the headphone cable with a much much more robust cable.  Like one of those thick, coiled cables you see in studio environments.  The downside here is I need to crack open the headset and solder the cable onto the board & find a way to incorporate strain relief.

2) Replace the headset with something that a) has a replaceable cable or b) has a cable that will never wear out.

Recommendations for either of the above?

* Its really frustrating to me lately how many things I use that require multiple systems to interact with each other and make diagnosing problems really difficult.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/29/20 10:42 a.m.
Honsch
Honsch New Reader
6/29/20 4:48 p.m.

I like Sennheiser headphones, the usually have replaceable cables.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/30/20 10:53 a.m.
Honsch said:

I could be convinced to go this route.  How do you tell if they are replaceable?  I can't seem to find it explicitly stated on their site.

z31maniac said:

May not be the cable?

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/logitech/g430-gaming-headset

I'm not sure I follow what you are suggesting here.  They are low quality?  Or that there is some other known issue?

FWIW, they have worked great for ~3 years and now they are flaky when I move around in my chair (and the cable moves along with them).

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/30/20 11:23 a.m.

Here. Be done with it. Great sound and a nice mic. With a replaceable cord and ear cups. Lacks all the goofy ass RGB gaming nonsense.

I had a set of those Logitech G430s (yes, I have issues with my collection of headphones) they were nice for their price point, but the difference between them and something like the Sennheisers is night and day. The sound is better, they fit better, they're more comfortable to wear for long periods, and the mic has a better pickup. Plus parts are replaceable for what seems like an indefinite period of time.

I also hate the floppy mics that companies like HyperX put on their headphones. It works fine on a set of David Clarks or Bose A20's, with the reinforced boom body, but they never seem to stay put on gaming headsets and I can't flip them out of the way like the solid mic boom the PC37 has.

I'm not even an audiophile. After too many years of being near running turbines and having stuff blow up nearby I can't claim to be either. I'm just particular about the way headsets fit and the way I sound when using the mic.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/30/20 11:33 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
Honsch said:

I could be convinced to go this route.  How do you tell if they are replaceable?  I can't seem to find it explicitly stated on their site.

z31maniac said:

May not be the cable?

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/logitech/g430-gaming-headset

I'm not sure I follow what you are suggesting here.  They are low quality?  Or that there is some other known issue?

FWIW, they have worked great for ~3 years and now they are flaky when I move around in my chair (and the cable moves along with them).

Yeah, I was just sharing it seems like your issue isn't uncommon and may not be only the cable. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/30/20 2:37 p.m.
The0retical (Forum Supporter) said:

Here. Be done with it. Great sound and a nice mic. With a replaceable cord and ear cups. Lacks all the goofy ass RGB gaming nonsense.

I had a set of those Logitech G430s (yes, I have issues with my collection of headphones) they were nice for their price point, but the difference between them and something like the Sennheisers is night and day. The sound is better, they fit better, they're more comfortable to wear for long periods, and the mic has a better pickup. Plus parts are replaceable for what seems like an indefinite period of time.

This seems like a good option.  I like to support companies that offer replacement parts for components instead of treating them as disposable.  I might have to pony up for these.

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/30/20 3:32 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

They're a slightly tweaked version of the Sennheiser One's, but the ear cups, headband, and line in/out are interchangeable from common parts.

Side note: I don't know how people kill so many gaming headsets. I have a couple sets that have been kicking around for better then a decade and see 6+ hours of use at work every day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CKkh01JFNFZzIrFLShoLt3WJ1sTf8S8hwT1ziFojpoaouo8EF9SJDoYyFb1SrwQx