1 2
Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
10/20/24 8:02 a.m.

Lots of good advice.  I agree, internships and extra circulars are important. 

FSAE and it's derivative electric, Baja and other programs are fantastic. If there are other things that you want to experiment, see which school supports those better.

I think WNEU/WNEC is on the smaller side, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. For what it's worth, I went to UConn which is massive, but their ME program was ~80 students/yr if I remember right. It kind of had the big enough to have interesting stuff to do on campus, and the program was small enough that you knew everyone feel.

You can also read their various press releases to see who hires at their internship and job fairs.

Springfield itself isn't a destination, but it is pretty neighborhood dependent.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/20/24 9:24 a.m.

Congrats on getting acceptances. Go where the total cost won't saddle you for decades into the future.

Remember that far-away schools require money and TIME to come home. A four day fall break can be reduced to two days if you have to drive (or fly, ride, etc) all day to get there.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/20/24 10:21 a.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

In reply to mtn :

The tallest building between Chicago and St. Louis is a residence hall at Illinois State University plus they have a kick ass marching band - the big red marching machine.

PLUS you can join the marching band without being a music major which is not the case at other schools. 

I don't think it's that common that a marching band requires a music major. For sure, the two schools I went to, Idaho and Michigan, don't. And at Michigan, the college with the most members is engineering. That includes the music school. 

prowlerjc
prowlerjc Reader
10/20/24 12:32 p.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

A few general thoughts, considering I'm not familiar with either school.

1. If you don't have a full scholarship, consider the long term effects of the costs. Paying off huge student loans hinders future options & financial success/potential. Starting at a community college for a couple years and transferring can help with cost control, especially if you can stay at home or with family. Think of your education as an investment in your future and what is the return on your investment (ROI)?

2. For getting the first job out of school (and some once you get established, but less so in most cases) or getting into grad school, where you got your BS degree can be a big helping hand. So consider how well regarded is the school you select? ROI again.

3. Pick a full on engineering program and not an engineering technology program if you can. It will make a difference in your future opportunities. ROI again.

4. Pick one with an active student engineering society that participates in student competitions. You will benefit greatly from participating and get some semi-practical experience as well as have fun and make great friends. It also looks good on a resume.

4. Make sure the things you want to do in your limited spare time are available nearby. Not 2 hours away or further. You're going to be an engineering student not a business major (sorry if I offend anyone with that). If you can't live without going to a skatepark or mountain bike trails weekly, that needs to be on campus or very close. You will get busy with class work, extracurricular activities, etc. and it will be a struggle to find time to travel for non academic activities. Also, it is likely that as you progress through college you will go home less frequently and for shorter time periods (sorry to your parents, but you will develop your own life & friends), so being able to easily access the things you enjoy from campus will help you have a balanced life.

5. Even if you never plan to become a licensed engineer, take the FE exam while you are in school ( usually senior year, so this is very early advice). It's one day and $100-$200 cost. Most schools have a very high pass rate for students (85% or higher). Once you're out of school the pass rate drops to something like 25%. I personally know dozens of people who decided to take it at some point after graduating and none passed it in less than 2 attempts with most taking at least 3 tries before passing. Even as a ME there will be some jobs that you can't get if you aren't a PE.

Edit: went to the NCEES website & current cost for the FE exam is $225.

100% agree with 5.  Should be drilled into every engineering student

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
10/20/24 12:46 p.m.

I know nothing about those schools , 

But  try to find some grants etc to keep your "Student Debt "  down so it does not follow you for decades ,   

Good Luck

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nhrR4mkTw8zCH0UR3vE44eiEjmmUHhBgzl121LnqOdwGYykXiQM0yZq28tw4OpOv