1 2
mndsm
mndsm New Reader
11/25/09 2:53 p.m.

So- I keep forgetting most of the Mazda club is younger than me, and you guys seem to be a bit closer to my age (I'm 30). I need some help locating at least the name and some pics on the thing, if not one for sale. (I may not need the one for sale, the wife is already angry at me for the Atari stash)

So- as I remember this toy, it was sort of a snakelike Semi cab hybrid thing. It had 2 sets of duallies in the back of it, and like another 6 axles out in the front of it, so it was 20 wheel drive. It was articulated vertically so each axle could move independently of the rest so a certain extent. (If you were looking at the side of it, like a profile, imagine it being able to go in sort of a wave motion like ~). It was not articulated horizontally, nor did it have any steering, so it only went straight. It took like 4 d-cell batteries at the rate of about 1 every 45 seconds. The tires were removeable, and resembled a treaded innertube in that they were sealed and held air. It may or may not have had a fake chrome engine on it with zoomies and a giant yellow spoiler.... I might be getting my toys mixed up.

I last had one of these approx. 20 years ago... as I remember it I lost it around the time I moved after my father passed. I seem to remember having it for a number of years before that, so...... the thing is maybe 25 years old at this point? Anyone remember this thing?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/09 3:51 p.m.

Can't help you with that, but I've recently come into the ultimate vintage video game stash.

I've got ~6 Atari 2600s, some 4-switch & some 6-switch...including the ultimate setup with original box & papers, storage console, all controllers, a bunch of games(including 3-plastic "books" full of games, some with original boxes and/or instructions. It'll be going on eBay eventually, after I get it all cleaned up & tested.

I also have 5-NES systems & a bunch of games, an Atari-5200, an Emerson game console, and a 4-player Sports Computer Game Syster.

Shame I've never really liked video games...

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer Reader
11/25/09 3:56 p.m.

sounds like the mammoth car from speed racer

mndsm
mndsm New Reader
11/25/09 4:48 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Can't help you with that, but I've recently come into the ultimate vintage video game stash. I've got ~6 Atari 2600s, some 4-switch & some 6-switch...including the ultimate setup with original box & papers, storage console, all controllers, a *bunch* of games(including 3-plastic "books" full of games, some with original boxes and/or instructions. It'll be going on eBay eventually, after I get it all cleaned up & tested. I also have 5-NES systems & a bunch of games, an Atari-5200, an Emerson game console, and a 4-player Sports Computer Game Syster. Shame I've never really liked video games...

I'm a little jealous of that stash, only sitting on 3 ataris and 100some games.... only one working NES... sold the rest. Yeah. I know what your stash is worth, and trust me, if I could afford it, I'd paypal you tomorrow.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/25/09 4:59 p.m.

A few years ago I bought a cartridge for my Gameboy that has every Activision game ever made, plus a few that were never released. I was just looking for Pitfall when I found it.

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
11/25/09 5:03 p.m.

Is this?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/09 5:58 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I'm a little jealous of that stash, only sitting on 3 ataris and 100some games.... only one working NES... sold the rest. Yeah. I know what your stash is worth, and trust me, if I could afford it, I'd paypal you tomorrow.

I'd make a heck of a deal for everything - especially to a GRMer. PM me an offer if you're interested.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
11/25/09 6:15 p.m.

I had something similair, Remote controled (with an attached wire)?

mndsm
mndsm New Reader
11/25/09 8:03 p.m.
zoomx2 wrote: Is this?

Similar, but it's not that one.

It was not remote controlled, just fire it and pray.

bluej
bluej HalfDork
11/25/09 8:06 p.m.
zoomx2 wrote: Is this?

holy blast from the past! you beat me to it.

anyone else miss Mask and those dinosaur ones with rockets and lasers?

mndsm
mndsm New Reader
11/25/09 8:08 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: A few years ago I bought a cartridge for my Gameboy that has every Activision game ever made, plus a few that were never released. I was just looking for Pitfall when I found it.

I remember that one, that was an excellent piece.... I may have even had one. Sadly, a good portion of my portable collection got pillaged by a n'er do well. Sad thing is, I had an opportunity to keep one not too many years ago, and it ended up gone in a trade for an NIB/shrinkwrapped Ogre Battle..... made a few bucks on that deal, HOWEVER.... I was only thinking money at that time. I shoulda known better, I'm a collector, not a dealer.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/25/09 8:31 p.m.

You want the "Monster Machine." I was wasting hours on YouTube looking for the toy pictured above, and I found the Monster Machine , instead. (ironic, no?) Remember how everything in the late 80s required piles of C batteries?

Here's the commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55oQfVFaSTU

mndsm
mndsm New Reader
11/25/09 8:45 p.m.

HOLY CRAP YOU FOUND IT. EPIC.

Jay
Jay Dork
11/26/09 3:48 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: You want the "Monster Machine." I was wasting hours on YouTube looking for the toy pictured above, and I found the Monster Machine , instead. (ironic, no?) Remember how everything in the late 80s required piles of C batteries? Here's the commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55oQfVFaSTU

Somebody, somewhere, had better be working on a real-life version of that.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
11/26/09 8:25 a.m.

Appleseed. I had that exact one!

I seem to remember it have a forward and back remote though

mndsm
mndsm New Reader
11/26/09 8:43 a.m.

I don't remember mine ever having one.... I don't even really remember what the shifter lookin' doodad on top does. I probably need to buy one on eBay and find out.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/28/09 3:18 p.m.

Shifter = forward/reverse. The tires were soft and could be ripped off the rims. Which is what happened to ours. It was junked shortly afterward.

Anyone know the name of the red toy pictured above?

Marty! The other white meat....
Marty! The other white meat.... Reader
11/28/09 6:48 p.m.

Truckapillar. Don't know who made it though.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
11/28/09 7:58 p.m.
Jay wrote:
Appleseed wrote: You want the "Monster Machine." I was wasting hours on YouTube looking for the toy pictured above, and I found the Monster Machine , instead. (ironic, no?) Remember how everything in the late 80s required piles of C batteries? Here's the commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55oQfVFaSTU
BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
11/28/09 7:59 p.m.
Jay wrote:

I tried, but i ran out of budget for C batteries.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/09 8:15 p.m.

I still play with my Monster.

2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
11/28/09 8:20 p.m.

I had one of those, was awesome.
my favorite truck though was a 4 wheel drive that had claws in the tires, when it would run up against something the claws would pop out

mndsm
mndsm Reader
11/28/09 8:38 p.m.

I remember that thing! It was awesome.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/09 9:36 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I still play with my Monster.

Now you are just bragging..

I personally want a collection of stomper 4x4s

Marty! The other white meat....
Marty! The other white meat.... Reader
11/29/09 8:49 a.m.
2.0dohc wrote: I had one of those, was awesome. my favorite truck though was a 4 wheel drive that had claws in the tires, when it would run up against something the claws would pop out

The Animal...

Animal commercial

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UiTy3BVrm5gOyIdZL1d9nUH3Pu5S7r9sfay7Lhzqb9BBUXmEkZzFWo84I3bTIMep