tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/3/21 3:19 p.m.

Pictures coming

Kid has a grind box built out of 2x4 and ply with a fencepost at one edge for grinding. It's maybe 6'x3'. It's too heavy for him (or Tunawife) to lean and unlean to use it. I guess maybe 90 lb. I want to pulley/winch/chain hoist it up against the ceiling, but I also don't want it to fall on his head. I have lots of ideas, but none of them are good.

What say you?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/3/21 3:29 p.m.
hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
11/4/21 9:47 a.m.
tuna55 said:

https://www.fleximounts.com/overhead-garage-storage-racks/lift-4-x-4-gl44b maybe?

Have a friend who has two of these (style) and he likes them a lot

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/21 9:53 a.m.

You could probably diy that with a boat winch and some cheap pulleys. 

How to make a Pulley/Winch System that Raises a (warhammer) Table to the  Ceiling!! - YouTube

The last overhead storage lift I built used 1/8" cable and garage door pulleys. They are rated at 200 pounds each and are super cheap.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/4/21 9:56 a.m.

Could you use a single winch to help with the leaning operation instead of lifting the whole thing into the air?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
11/4/21 10:41 a.m.

Instead of lifting the whole thing up, could you mount casters at each corner that flip up when it use and flip down to roll it out of the way?  I understand it's heavy, but lifting a corner (maybe add handles to make it easier) might be doable without having to figure out how to lift the whole thing.

-Rob

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/4/21 10:44 a.m.
tuna55 said:

Pictures coming

Kid has a grind box built out of 2x4 and ply with a fencepost at one edge for grinding. It's maybe 6'x3'. It's too heavy for him (or Tunawife) to lean and unlean to use it. I guess maybe 90 lb. I want to pulley/winch/chain hoist it up against the ceiling, but I also don't want it to fall on his head. I have lots of ideas, but none of them are good.

What say you?

Long handle to make it easy to lean?

11/4/21 11:00 a.m.

Harbor freight also sells inexpensive hoists, I had one that I got in a holiday box that I passed along recently or I'd send it to you.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/4/21 8:35 p.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

You could probably diy that with a boat winch and some cheap pulleys. 

How to make a Pulley/Winch System that Raises a (warhammer) Table to the  Ceiling!! - YouTube

The last overhead storage lift I built used 1/8" cable and garage door pulleys. They are rated at 200 pounds each and are super cheap.

I like the idea. Is the brake on a boat winch reliable enough to trust?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/4/21 8:38 p.m.

All lean issues relate to how much free wall I have. It's a really good idea otherwise. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/21 8:44 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Yes. Get one with the brake instead of the clicker. They are more expensive but they won't break your hand if the load gets away from you. 

The other option is an electric winch. They aren't much more expensive than a braking hand winch. This one is $95 from JB Evil Empire.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/21 9:53 p.m.

Can he move it once it's down? Ie is this only an up and down problem or is it also a slide it out to the driveway problem too?

11/4/21 11:42 p.m.

Let us know what you come up with, I started skating again a few months back and have been thinking of building some ramps!

Gzwg
Gzwg New Reader
11/5/21 2:34 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/5/21 8:31 a.m.

Wrinkle (sorry, still no pics)

Tunawife doesn't feel safe with it on the ceiling.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/5/21 9:35 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Screw a couple handles to the ends of it to use to drag it around and drill a couple holes through it that allow you to insert a broom handle or whatever to tilt it on it's side. Optional would be something on the wall it would be placed near to prevent it from tipping back to the floor. It would get used less frequently if on a hoist anyway, just like bicycles that get hung from hooks. Stuff like that needs to be really easy to use or people are less likely to use them.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/5/21 9:41 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

In reply to tuna55 :

Screw a couple handles to the ends of it to use to drag it around and drill a couple holes through it that allow you to insert a broom handle or whatever to tilt it on it's side. Optional would be something on the wall it would be placed near to prevent it from tipping back to the floor. It would get used less frequently if on a hoist anyway, just like bicycles that get hung from hooks. Stuff like that needs to be really easy to use or people are less likely to use them.

I think this is the right track. Right now it has wheels on one edge and handles on the other, so I stand it up and roll it out and set it down. The thing is that I am the only one in the house with muscles, apparently. It's upright just leaning precariously on the storage rack next to the compressor, which means I can't get to either without flopping it about or moving it out of the way. It's also short (read, not tall) enough that it can't just stand on its edge on its own, it will flop over. The casters have brakes, but even then it flops. I don't have any walls handy either.

I have an idea, but it's a bad one. Stay tuned.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
11/5/21 9:02 p.m.

Under the bench! I cut out a support, but the bench stinks anyway. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i7ISjoY2fdv2nxy7uTxEqnpOWPeFAuA7tDCFEiyOgOwkJbKDcW2PXjWD0PYqInLp