1 2 3
tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/17/13 2:42 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Let the record show: I like you enough to censor myself.
Do you like me enough to tell me what you were going to say? And by me, I mean everyone else?

Do you like me enough to censor yourself so the thread doesn't dissolve into sexual innuendo?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/17/13 2:43 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Does she have other marketable talents besides music? I'm reminded of an old girlfriend who was a semi-pro classical musician; that wasn't enough to pay the bills, but she was also a talented writer and did a lot of freelance technical writing and editing for various companies. She was (and still is, as far as I know) able to work out of her home for the most part.

She did a blog for a while, but she couldn't figure out how to translate a few dozen readers into money.

http://underneaththebigtop.wordpress.com/

She also has an Etsy store

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Takes2Stitches

but it's not exactly earth shattering cash.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
12/17/13 2:56 p.m.

Having a lot of kids and needing both parents working is difficult, especially when one or more of those kids is a challenge.

My girlfriend's brother and sister-in-law are on number 3, and they utilize government assistance. He's been lucky with his job so far, but he's also got lots of empty promises about that "big raise" in another year that never happened.

Good luck, and stop having babies!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/17/13 3:03 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Having a lot of kids and needing both parents working is difficult, especially when one or more of those kids is a challenge. My girlfriend's brother and sister-in-law are on number 3, and they utilize government assistance. He's been lucky with his job so far, but he's also got lots of empty promises about that "big raise" in another year that never happened. Good luck, and stop having babies!

All done with the babies!

Fast forward five years and everyone will be homeschooling and my income will be enough, if just. For the interim, we're trying to get the kids through preschool and we're having some mathematical issues.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
12/17/13 4:08 p.m.

Clickworker can sometime be worthwhile. My wife made ~$2K in about a month or two just working at it a couple of hours a night. She ended up making enough to go on a nicer vacation this year than we had planned on.

What about medical transcription working from home?

Good Luck.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/17/13 4:35 p.m.
  1. Is there state funded Pre-K? It's all the rage in Ga.
  2. There is good money in teaching. My MIL teaches several days a week, several hours each day (Guessing a total of 15 hours a week) and has 20 or so students and a permanent waiting list. Teaches Suzuki method violin to the kids of overachievers. As young as 3, and up into middle school. Dunno exactly how much she's pulling, but I'd be shocked if it was less than $25/hr. There's also the "set up shop in a music store" route. My college roommate did that through school and for many years afterwards, teaching guitar. IIRC he was getting $15 for a half hour lesson and had to give 10% to the store for room rental.
paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
12/17/13 6:10 p.m.

Medical billing/coding isn't bad work either. I did it ten or so years ago.

Just to throw it out there, Mrs. Android has been waiting tables for the last six months or so in a family style restaurant. After a five hour shift she comes home with 70 to 100 bucks in her pocket. Not glamorous, but it's low stress.

Wxdude10 wrote: Clickworker can sometime be worthwhile. My wife made ~$2K in about a month or two just working at it a couple of hours a night. She ended up making enough to go on a nicer vacation this year than we had planned on. What about medical transcription working from home? Good Luck.
xd
xd Reader
12/17/13 8:33 p.m.

Seriously if you own your home have her get her FFL and do transfers and accept online shipments. At 20-30 a pop she can make some coin and never leave the house.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/17/13 8:52 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
mndsm wrote:
poopshovel wrote: Let the record show: I like you enough to censor myself.
Do you like me enough to tell me what you were going to say? And by me, I mean everyone else?
Do you like me enough to censor yourself so the thread doesn't dissolve into sexual innuendo?

Yeah... you're right.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/13 11:20 p.m.

I really hate having to be the one to say this, but...

Stop rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic and find a cheaper school / public school?

Sorry tuna, but I love ya buddy and it kills me to read about how berked you are.

Joshua
Joshua Dork
12/17/13 11:43 p.m.

Public education?

Edit: Javelin beat me to it! Darn you!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/17/13 11:55 p.m.
Joshua wrote: Public education?

Guys, you've done great so far, but this is a reminder to keep it civil. Tuna made it clear that this isn't an option he wants to consider

tuna55 wrote: have political, religious, and quality issues with public schools (let's not have that discussion now, just accept it as an axiom).

He may NEED to think about it, and Javelin has stated in a very kindly manner. Let's not all harp on the idea, though. Tuna is aware that the option is out there.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
12/18/13 7:26 a.m.

Anything else you can do? We found it way eaiser for my wife to deal with the kids full time and I just work full time plus my own business on the side (auto related, 90% home/online).

We have tried to find my wife things to do but until all the kids are out of the house (another 6 years) there arent a lot of good options.

Sounds like private music lessons sounded like the best idea but that will take time to build momentum.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/18/13 7:40 a.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: Anything else you can do? We found it way eaiser for my wife to deal with the kids full time and I just work full time plus my own business on the side (auto related, 90% home/online). We have tried to find my wife things to do but until all the kids are out of the house (another 6 years) there arent a lot of good options. Sounds like private music lessons sounded like the best idea but that will take time to build momentum.

I get a lot of time in with my kids. I bring them to school, and back home. I get the dinner cleaned up, get them bathed and to bed each day. Assuming I do all that still, I will only get 'truck time', which is roughly 9-11 PM. I could, in theory, do something during that time. I have considered closing up fast food restaurants or some such thing, but in reality that doesn't pay very much. I would consider ideas. Got any? You guys know the kind of stuff I can do.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/18/13 7:40 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Joshua wrote: Public education?
Guys, you've done great so far, but this is a reminder to keep it civil. Tuna made it clear that this isn't an option he wants to consider
tuna55 wrote: have political, religious, and quality issues with public schools (let's not have that discussion now, just accept it as an axiom).
He may NEED to think about it, and Javelin has stated in a very kindly manner. Let's not all harp on the idea, though. Tuna is aware that the option is out there.

Thanks Joey

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/18/13 8:12 a.m.

Online teaching?

A work friends wife teaches high school online and is able to take care of three kids in the down time. One of those kids is quite small. Like less than one.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/18/13 8:19 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: Guys, you've done great so far, but this is a reminder to keep it civil.

Joey, I know you have delete - mod priveleges and I see you gave Margie a Christmas present; but are you now the PC Police? Every comment, insinuation or nuance is monitored and commented on? I saw nothing less than civil.

I know GRM has grown and needs help, but as a habitual offender I need to know where the line is.

Dan

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/18/13 8:24 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
JoeyM wrote: Guys, you've done great so far, but this is a reminder to keep it civil.
Joey, I know you have delete - mod priveleges and I see you gave Margie a Christmas present; but are you now the PC Police? Every comment, insinuation or nuance is monitored and commented on? I saw nothing less than civil. I know GRM has grown and needs help, but as a habitual offender I need to know where the line is. Dan

I'm not aware of any official PC policy. Quite the opposite, in fact, we tend to take a hands off policy. I am simply trying to be less of a jerk in life than in the past.

Tuna made it clear at the start of the thread that he didn't want a lot of discussion about sending the kids to public school. After two posts in a row, I thought it would be worth reminding people of that. Tuna's reply made it clear that this was appreciated.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
12/18/13 8:27 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Online teaching? A work friends wife teaches high school online and is able to take care of three kids in the down time. One of those kids is quite small. Like less than one.

She has looked and applied. Noit sure why, but she is having trouble connecting with someone to get it done. How did work friends wife handle it?

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
12/18/13 8:30 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Online teaching? A work friends wife teaches high school online and is able to take care of three kids in the down time. One of those kids is quite small. Like less than one.

There are online high schools?

rotard
rotard Dork
12/18/13 8:34 a.m.

I have a friend with music degrees from Furman that has ended up having to substitute teach in the upstate and western NC. I thought that a certain large turbine making company had programs that can help in these situations?

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/18/13 8:35 a.m.
mtn wrote:
There are online high schools?

http://www.flvs.net/Pages/default.aspx

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
12/18/13 8:37 a.m.

Substitute teaching pays well in Greenville County. But that doesn't help with Tuna#4.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/18/13 8:41 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
She has looked and applied. Noit sure why, but she is having trouble connecting with someone to get it done. How did work friends wife handle it?

I'll find out.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
12/18/13 10:21 a.m.

She can bid on local errands and jobs at taskrabbit.com.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ftm54VCfyfcMUUWq6OPQJ5t0EKTigQiWU7UvmiAdgFgp0IJIBb6rWaIIVzirq0KK