Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy SuperDork
10/13/24 12:30 p.m.

I'm building a rolling gate on the side of my house. My lot is at the end of a court, and my house is set back from my neighbor, enough that his side fence runs almost to the end of my front yard. It makes my front yard nice and secluded. The lot widens as it goes to the back yard, and my side yard is very big. I'm landscaping the back yard, and I'm installing a large rolling gate to tie the front and back together when open. Once the landscaping is done it won't be used very often for vehicles, but it will be nice to have that option available. The total gate/fence length is 31'. The gate opening is on the house side, 15' wide, with the open gate sliding away from the house. It will run on a V channel attached to a new 12" wide concrete strip. 

My problem- the land slopes up away from the house slightly, in the direction of the gate opening. From the closed side post to the open side post, it rises up about 1" over the next 15'. From that post to the end, it slopes up another 4.5" over the last 15". I do plan on leveling out the land a bit- I'll be taking about two inches off the high side, but that is about it. That leaves me with a 2.5" rise over the last 15', 3.5" total over the total 30'. The gate weights around 200lbs, and rolls on steel v grove wheels with bearings on track. Would that be too much of an incline? I want to make sure the gate opens easily, and don't want it to run away when closing. It would need a latch in the open position. This option would be easiest, look the best, and manage debris and water the best. 

Option 2 would be to pour the concrete level and have it recessed below grade a few inches on the high side. My concern is that I 'd have to shore up the edges of land that would sit above the track, and and recessed strip would accumulate water and debris. I'd be adding drainage (adding one anyway on the backyard side of the strip to the front side) but there are lots of trees in that area. 

Option 3 would be to raise the house side 2" and make the far side just slightly recessed, keeping it level. Not really a fan of this, as it would rely heavily on drainage back to front, and this effectively makes a dam if not drained property. I also want to front and back to flow together when open, and I think a 2" speed bump would distract from that. 

What do you guys think? Pics aren't uploading for me, I'll try again later. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/24 12:40 p.m.

Consider running fence end of the gate on rails attached to the fence so it can move horizontally as long as it has clearance below? Then you'd only have to either level or live with that 1" that the gate-end wheels roll on the ground.

That's the way mine is set up.

EDIT for pic:

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy SuperDork
10/13/24 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

I already built the gate, it's a decorative steel/wood one that is designed to run on V track. So I'm stuck with following whatever slope I put pour the concrete at. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy SuperDork
10/13/24 1:45 p.m.

Ooh, I just thought of option #4! What if I matched the slope, but added a counterweight system to offset the weight of the gate to zero it out? Is that nuts? It sounds like something that would be fun to build. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/24 2:04 p.m.

I wouldn't think that a 2.5" rise in the 15' would make any difference as far a opening or closing. 

2.5"/180" = 1:72 slope. I think. How are you going to support the top of the gate when it goes over the kink in the V base?

I guess I would make it all straight the entire 3.5" in 30'. 3.5"/360" = 1:103 slope. I would call your yard virtually flat.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy SuperDork
10/13/24 2:16 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

I think you are right and I'm overthinking it. I'd make the slope constant. It looks like a large difference at the big end compared to string line, but over 30' it's not much. It was just a surprise when I set the line because the yard looks level to the eye. Pretty sure I'm just going to go with the constant slope. If it's an issue I can add a counterweight later. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nwkD7c672yJV7KsRd8LOoId5Q3Tu7HT17JqN7ux03eBT1b6syNFQgqefsCH3HhLO