1 2
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/15 11:09 p.m.

My old army pack is falling apart and honestly too big. With my upcoming travels I want a good new backpack for globetrotting.

Needs:
Adjustable size (compressible or strappable)
water resistant

Wants:
Lockable (to prevent the honest thieves)
convertible (backpack or roller bag)

Been doing some shopping and discovered that I don't know the good brands anymore. Come to think of it, not sure I ever knew.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
8/31/15 11:29 p.m.

convertible is darn near impossible with the above requirements. Find a local REI and go to town getting fitted for free. I have a 2 day and 5 day from osprey that have held up for years.

The big thing right now is ultra light weight, avoid this if at all possible the fabric will destroy itself in less then a few trips. Great for backpacking in hilly terrain but terrible for any sort of extended traveling.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/31/15 11:35 p.m.

I have a savier skateboard back back I bought like 10 years ago. Its pretty berkeleying badass, however Nike bought the label and shut them down some time ago. I'd check ogio or some of the other extreme sports labels. Dakine is another one I see a lot of. Snowboarding ones should be waterproof. Most will lock with a simple padlock through the zipper. Convertible? No idea.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
9/1/15 5:14 a.m.

Second a visit to the likes of REI and getting fitted. All the brand suggestions in the world don't mean nearly as much as trying things on and finding something that fits.

curtis73
9/1/15 10:41 a.m.

This forum kinda rocks.

Thanks guys. Great starting points.

I have found a couple convertibles; inner soft-frame camping/hiking packs. The top just has a handle and the bottom of the frame has wheels, but the wheels are about 3/4" diameter. That's not a rolling pack, that is a dragging pack.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
9/1/15 12:17 p.m.

Since I almost always travel with a camera, I got a Lowepro pack which is half daypack, half camera case. From REI of course. They've got good stuff and stand behind it.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
9/1/15 12:19 p.m.

I think your requirements nixed my first 2 thoughts, but :
Timbuk2 Uptown
Saddleback Leather backpack

calteg
calteg HalfDork
9/1/15 12:23 p.m.

Wife and I did an extended Italy trip last year, we travel swift and silent, so we needed everything to fit in two backpacks. We spent literally a month researching, and ended up with the Kelty Flyway. It doesn't have wheels, but does everything else you want, and doesn't cost $300.

One of the big selling points for international travel is that the overhead bins are sometimes differently sized than the ones on domestic flights. The Flyway is designed that, crammed full, it'll still fit. If you're checking your bag, it doesn't matter.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/15 12:33 p.m.

If you want it to be convertible so it can go through an airline baggage system without straps dangling all over, consider picking up a stuffable duffel as well. It protects your pack from abrasion. When you're flying, the bag goes in the duffel. When you're not, the duffel goes in the bag. If you need more space, you have a duffel!

Here's what I use. It comes in a few sizes and it's been all over the place now.
http://www.rei.com/product/848174/eagle-creek-no-matter-what-flashpoint-duffel-large

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
9/1/15 1:24 p.m.

What do you need to put in the backpack? Because I freaking love my Swiss Gear backpacks for traveling with my laptop and associated paraphernalia.

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
9/1/15 1:35 p.m.

I'm very partial to the whipsnake.

http://youtu.be/ZAtzN_ScKXY

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
9/1/15 1:36 p.m.

Been a LL Bean fan for years. The backpack I bought in college is still holding up, despite much use/abuse over the last 20+ years. One of the back zippers occasionally doesn't zip right, though, which just started. And I wanted one with a compartment specifically for a laptop. So I got a new pack, for my birthday. This one:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83531?feat=506219-GN2&page=super-deluxe-book-pack

Been using it for a month now, and like it a lot. Holds a E36 M3 ton of stuff, more compartments than I could think of using, comfortable to wear. And didn't cost $$$. Plus the lifetime guarantee.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/1/15 1:39 p.m.

I don't remember the brand name, but my pack has a huge cushioned waist band and sometimes I'll have all the weight of the pack on only my hips. It can give your shoulders a good rest.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/15 1:44 p.m.

I have had great luck with Ogio backpacks and bags, but I am more of a business traveller who needs a laptop, iPad and spare underwear.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/1/15 2:21 p.m.

Osprey makes some awesome bags that are a bit pricey, but they carry a lifetime warranty where if the bag cannot be repaired (which they do for free) they will send you a new one.

kylini
kylini HalfDork
9/1/15 3:01 p.m.

Osprey makes the best backpacks that I've seen (all my coworkers have them).

Red Oxx (http://www.redoxx.com/) makes the best "I will survive anything" duffels and they have more specialized backpack/convertible options for airline travel and hiking. If they have something that'll fit your needs, you won't regret buying it other than they're not light. I can fit four days of casual and professional in their small duffel bag.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
9/1/15 3:18 p.m.

I have had a Kelty bag for 5 years. Travelled everywhere with me for all these years, planes, trains, automobiles, and motorcycles. Takes a beating and keeps going. It might be water resistant but not waterproof.

Not the most expensive or maybe even the best, but if budget is a concern is look there.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/1/15 3:22 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Osprey makes some awesome bags that are a bit pricey, but they carry a lifetime warranty where if the bag cannot be repaired (which they do for free) they will send you a new one.

Osprey bags can be not terribly priced in the low liter volumes when compared to the house label stuff at REI. 30-40$ a pack more on the 36 liter or so when I bought mine. I have done 10 day backpacks with a Osprey in the distant past and scrambled over more rocks and brush and never once had a issue.

If you get one have the hip straps heat formed to your body, normally included with the pack. It takes me almost 100 miles with a loaded pack to get mine settled in if I don't.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
9/1/15 4:30 p.m.

http://www.greengurugear.com/collections/backpacks/products/commuter-17l-backpack

Waterproof, made of recycled materials, American made. Amazon is cheaper though.

I have some of their items and well made. Customer service is great also. I had an issue with a product and I shipped it back on their dime and they sent a replacement no questions asked since it couldn't be repaired.

curtis73
9/1/15 5:13 p.m.

Whew... lots of research.

I have been reunited with the Pacsafe brand as well. My ex bought some of their stuff before and it is truly awesome. The fabric and straps are all reinforced with un-cuttable steel mesh which not only makes it ridiculously strong (for not much weight penalty), it is marketed as being incredibly safe. We had one that was about the size of a bank bag and it also had a cable you could lock to your bed, car seat, etc so no one could just swipe it. Problem is, the biggest bag they make is pretty small and doesn't have a ton of features.

I really like the redroxx stuff. Not sure about the configuration and size, but I'll have to look at one in person.

The Kelty Flyway looks awesome... but I can't find it anywhere so I suppose it has been discontinued?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/1/15 5:19 p.m.

I've had an Ogio backpack for at least 7-8 years now that's almost in daily use. I need to get a zip replaced, otherwise it's holding up extremely well.

curtis73
9/1/15 5:46 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: What do you need to put in the backpack? Because I freaking love my Swiss Gear backpacks for traveling with my laptop and associated paraphernalia.

Clothes, toiletries, light blanket (in case I end up sleeping in less-than optimum conditions) documents, DSLR camera (sometimes). That is usually what I take for backpacking travel. Always carry-on, never checked.

I also do a lot of camping, so every once in a while I'll strap a tent and sleeping bag to it, but I don't do the hike for 10 miles thing. Maybe 1 mile. So no need for a dedicated hiking pack or massive storage.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/1/15 6:59 p.m.

Check out https://www.duluthpack.com/ Made in Minnesota for 133 years.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
9/1/15 7:04 p.m.

My pack might work well for you then. Lowepro Sport 200

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=768092&gclid=CjwKEAjwmZWvBRCCqrDK_8atgBUSJACnib3l9SKQC-kyFA9wH1zV2ZJBI5900TfJQyKk1IZUmvl3uRoC6jPw_wcB&is=REG&m=Y&Q=&A=details

calteg
calteg HalfDork
9/1/15 8:09 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: The Kelty Flyway looks awesome... but I can't find it anywhere so I suppose it has been discontinued?

I consulted the wife, we bought them from zappos last year. I believe we got the 35L size

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
koHUgQNWmCsCoCJM81f5un3kcokI8e78GEHhlM9pB8UFbi32NtR5SUxD3rm5DXI3