1 2 3 4
The Hoff
The Hoff SuperDork
8/26/15 2:17 p.m.
Enyar wrote: Scary, this could happen to anyone. In fact this happened to someone that works at the same accounting firm my wife used to work for, albeit a different office. 2nd amendment debate thread in 3...2...1...

Thanks for starting that flounder

This is why these useless debates get started. Remember "It's my party..."? How about you keep the controversial opinion to yourself and the rest of us will to.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/26/15 2:30 p.m.

Super disappointed to see the prez take his shot at politicizing the situation like he has. Never miss the opportunity to take advantage of a crisis for political gain.

Laws wont stop people hellbent on breaking them. Stickers on doors wont stop bullets. Sad that we are willing to rely on bandaids like that to "ensure" safety...yay murkuh

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of the victims. Sounds like it was supposed to be a good day for the cameraman and the producer in the studio who witnessed his murder live (she was his fiancee). Today was their last day as they were moving on to a bigger show in another town. The reporter was also planning to get married, and had just moved in with her boyfriend. What a tradgedy.

Just sad.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
8/26/15 6:51 p.m.

In reply to The Hoff:

We're usually on countering viewpoints, but this one we share common ground(amazingly see my reply to him on page 2)

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/26/15 6:57 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Super disappointed to see the prez take his shot at politicizing the situation like he has. Never miss the opportunity to take advantage of a crisis for political gain.

Had this been some terrorist attack, you would have expected some response from the President. How is this different?

Just a different tragedy.

And for this one, the only real reason we are all talking about it was that it happened on live TV. If it happened in the privacy of someone home, and it was just in the local news (which did happen here a few months ago), we would not be talking about it.

mattm
mattm GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/26/15 10:27 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Super disappointed to see the prez take his shot at politicizing the situation like he has.....

Thanks for starting that flounder

This is why these useless debates get started. Remember "It's my party..."? How about you keep the controversial opinion to yourself and the rest of us will to.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
8/26/15 10:45 p.m.

Did some news agency (CNN?) actually play the Go Pro "kill cam" on TV? I heard a radio host that sounded like he watched it being broadcast. I sure hope not, showing a killer's snuff film on the "news" is way past poor taste. I also agree with not giving the killer any publicity.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/15 4:51 a.m.

I don't think CNN showed it but for a while the radio station I had on was telling you how to find it online until it was taken down.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
8/27/15 6:56 a.m.

Glad they took it down. E36 M3 like that could inspire the next nut job.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/27/15 7:16 a.m.

Just found out that a friends wife went to High School with the cameraman. Small world.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/15 7:25 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Glad they took it down. E36 M3 like that could inspire the next nut job.

Taken down from Youtube/Facebook/Twitter I'm sure, but you can't take things off the Internet. There are sites that specialize in collecting that kind of stuff.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/27/15 7:55 a.m.

Saw this yesterday, it made me ill. BTW, the CNN website has a link to video.

I'm reminded once again that the real root cause of the problem here is not guns but rather people with mental problems having access to them. I'd have no problem with a potential gun owner having to pass an evaluation of their mental state and also if someone is on a prescription which has psychosis as a possible side effect they'd have to surrender their firearms until they are off that prescription.

Anybody here who is getting ready to jump me over this, save it: I have first hand experience with the problem of pills causing psychosis. You know I'm right.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
8/27/15 8:03 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: I'd have no problem with a potential gun owner having to pass an evaluation of their mental state and also if someone is on a prescription which has psychosis as a possible side effect they'd have to surrender their firearms until they are off that prescription.

I know I'm being Captain Obvious on this, but... what about the mentally unstable that don't go through legal channels to get guns, and don't have legally registered guns to surrender? That potential gun owner might say "screw it" and go to the "black market" and buy a gun that has none of those legal restrictions on its purchase. People who are willing to break laws against killing others aren't going to obey laws dealing with buying weapons...

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
8/27/15 8:11 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: I wonder if this is going to change what goes out "live". My brother brought up the point that kids were watching the morning tv while getting ready for school when this happened. We had warning about what we were about to see, I imagine it was pretty traumatic live.

I was at home sick watching TV when this happened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer

I still can't get those images out of my head and it was almost 30 years ago.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
8/27/15 8:33 a.m.

In reply to NGTD: I'd never heard about that, very sad. Hard to imagine the level of crap he'd already been through being falsely accused and convicted to reach that decision.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
8/27/15 8:37 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

Please note that since the registry idea is illegal for the intentional purpose of "it is none of their damn business".....the better path is making mental health less of a taboo in the minds of the general public. I still strongly feel that would do so much more good than people realize.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/27/15 8:44 a.m.
NGTD wrote: I was at home sick watching TV when this happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer

Ahhh yes. Good old Budd, always shooting his mouth off.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/27/15 8:46 a.m.
yamaha wrote: ...the better path is making mental health less of a taboo in the minds of the general public. I still strongly feel that would do so much more good than people realize.

The drop in stolen shopping carts alone would be huge.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
8/27/15 8:49 a.m.
The Hoff wrote:
Enyar wrote: Scary, this could happen to anyone. In fact this happened to someone that works at the same accounting firm my wife used to work for, albeit a different office. 2nd amendment debate thread in 3...2...1...
Thanks for starting that flounder This is why these useless debates get started. Remember "It's my party..."? How about you keep the controversial opinion to yourself and the rest of us will to.

Woah woah woah! I was by no means trying to start a debate. Just predicting that someone else would.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/15 9:12 a.m.

NGTD,

I saw that as a kid on the evening news. That was horrible. It was really a bad scene.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/15 10:44 a.m.

I would love to see mental illness get treated like other illnesses or even like addictions. I have some serious mental illness in my family that had gone unchecked because of the stigmas at the time. One of them eventually went away after stabbing his father to death. I deal with unstable people almost everyday and many of them could probably be productive or at least not a hazard to themselves or the rest of society if they were getting treatment.

After the Budd Dwyer shooting my grandfather said "Finally, a decent politician". I come by it naturally. Keeping my comments to myself yesterday was rough.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
8/27/15 12:33 p.m.

RIP to the unfortunate victims in this event.

jsinnard
jsinnard New Reader
8/27/15 1:09 p.m.

Absolutely horrible the way that A-hole ambushed those poor young people doing a job they both loved to do. I spent the day watching the live feed from WDBJ as their co-workers tried to report on the story and deal the substantial loss of their two friends and colleagues. It was absolutely heart wrenching to see, but in a strange way therapeutic in their sharing of grief and the behind the scenes stories who those people really were in life. It was a very long day here in VA.

Such a tragic loss on so many levels and a new low in how evil a person really can be. I still can't believe he recorded and released it on social media hours after the fact. Those poor survivors having to relive that mess and know what terror their friends went through in the last moments of their lives.

I am truly sickened....

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/1/15 12:12 p.m.

Reports are now claiming the shooting was a hoax. (I doubt it)

Anyone have any further (reliable) info?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/1/15 12:22 p.m.

I haven't heard that. In fact, I've recently heard a number of his (non-dead) coworkers and acquaintances describing at some length just how hypersensitively unstable this assclown was.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
9/1/15 12:31 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Reports are now claiming the shooting was a hoax. (I doubt it) Anyone have any further (reliable) info?

I hear the "hoax" claim every time something terrible happens. There are wingnuts out there who claim the holocaust never happened and that 9/11 was an inside job. I've heard big conspiracies that Sandy Hook was a hoax as well for the purpose of "grabbing our guns!"

I'm pretty confident that it actually happened. Just think, if it were a hoax then the three dead people at the center of the events have to disappear FOREVER. And I can't think of any way that would happen.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MtawWmMm5H8JusZSYDjp0WsBGaVRX60Mk19qS0uoS3WWo5dHHIqtrRTBLKGZECfH