aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/8/22 12:00 p.m.

https://abc30.com/meteor-california-destroys-home-shower/12425011/

I am a bit torn on this.  As in, I am not sure I would be entirely upset by this happening to me because it would be so cool.

BTW - Someone needs to get over there with a metal detector (most asteroids remnants are iron based).  That rock could be worth good money, especially with the story behind it!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/8/22 12:06 p.m.

That's how I want to go.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/8/22 12:06 p.m.

So who owns the meteorite in this case? Are they covered under mineral rights? If the house is rebuilt by the insurance company, does it belong to the insurance company? 

Many people who saw the fireball in Friday night are drawing their own conclusions.

That's nicely understated :)

Scott Manley has drawn some conclusions as well. His main point is that it actually hit about 170 miles away.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/8/22 12:11 p.m.
Appleseed said:

That's how I want to go.

THIS

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/8/22 12:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

...Scott Manley has drawn some conclusions as well. His main point is that it actually hit about 170 miles away.....

Bah!   Come on now.  Let's not let facts get in the way of a good story!

House burnt down by meteor is more exciting.   I am going with that!  cheeky

(Yeah, it has to be a meteor, what else would have caused my meth lab on the porch to explode in flames...)

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/8/22 12:26 p.m.

The only things a meteor could hurt are birds, planes, etc...meteorites are the things that could hurt cars, houses, etc..

I'm waiting for some Luddite to argue it wasn't a meteorite because it was still moving; fight me!

How are meteoroids, meteors and meteorite related? | Socratic

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/8/22 12:36 p.m.

State Farm:

"Oh we're so sorry for your loss Mr. Procita, but there is no mention of meteors in your policy.

Is there anything else we can do for you today?"

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/8/22 12:49 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

The only things a meteor could hurt are birds, planes, etc...meteorites are the things that could hurt cars, houses, etc..

I'm waiting for some Luddite to argue it's wasn't a meteorite because it was still moving; fight me!

There's this song ("Emily" by Joanna Newsom) where the lyrics are trying to parse the different meanings of those three terms, but they're famously wrong (meteorite mixed up with meteoroid):

That the meteorite is a source of the light
And the meteor’s just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that’s devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee

And the meteorite’s just what causes the light
And the meteor’s how it’s perceived
And the meteoroid’s a bone thrown from the void that lies quiet in offering to thee

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/8/22 12:52 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

I'm waiting for some Luddite to argue it's wasn't a meteorite because it was still moving; fight me!

When it hit the house, it was traveling through the atmosphere, thus it was a meteor.  After going through the house, it is in the ground, thus it is now a meteorite.

cheeky

You can re-classify it once it touches anything that touches the ground I suppose but I would argue that is not the intent of the meaning.  Traveling through the atmosphere = meteor.  Sitting on ground = meteorite.  You could even interpret it to mean if it's moving along the ground it's a meteor.

A meteorite, by seeming definition, contains no kinetic energy, thus it is incapable of destroying anything (other then by weight).

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
11/8/22 1:01 p.m.

This happened not far from where I live. Much easier to capitalize on than a house.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/8/22 1:20 p.m.
Sarah Young said:
RX Reven' said:

There's this song ("Emily" by Joanna Newsom) where the lyrics are trying to parse the different meanings of those three terms, but they're famously wrong (meteorite mixed up with meteoroid):

That the meteorite is a source of the light
And the meteor’s just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that’s devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee

And the meteorite’s just what causes the light
And the meteor’s how it’s perceived
And the meteoroid’s a bone thrown from the void that lies quiet in offering to thee

This reminds me of a meme my geology teach taught us to remember the difference between a stalagmite and a stalactite.

"When the mites go up, the tights go down".

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
11/8/22 1:58 p.m.

Hmm... the Powerball winner was in CA!

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
11/8/22 3:46 p.m.

If a meteorite hit my house the first thing I'd do is make sure none of the emergency responders runs off with it. Those things can be worth a lot more than my house! 

RX Reven'
11/8/22 4:02 p.m.

In reply to pheller :

Exactly!

Somewhere between $224 & $8,960 per pound without even considering something that's super rare...

I've got one small iron meteorite in my collection and I keep trying to get out to the huge mineral & fossil show in Arizona each year but COVID, life, etc. keeps getting in the way.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
11/8/22 4:18 p.m.

Actually, nvm. https://sites.wustl.edu/meteoritesite/items/meteorites-are-not-worth-as-much-as-most-people-think/

• "What Got Hit – For falls, if the meteorite has a “good story,” like it went through a roof or hit a mailbox, then it is “worth more” than one found lying in a corn field or parking lot.  "

"7. The Chelyabinsk Meteorite - €336,000In 2013 a meteor exploded over the Russian city of Chelyabinsk. This rock is the only meteorite to have injured large numbers of human beings; over 1,500 people required medical treatment that day. The story behind a meteorite is also important when considering its value. A meteorite that had witnesses when it fell to earth, can command a higher price. The circumstances of its fall have therefore guaranteed greater values for fragments of the Chelyabinsk meteorite. "

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/8/22 10:40 p.m.
aircooled said:
RX Reven' said:

When it hit the house, it was traveling through the atmosphere, thus it was a meteor.  After going through the house, it is in the ground, thus it is now a meteorite.

cheeky

You can re-classify it once it touches anything that touches the ground I suppose but I would argue that is not the intent of the meaning.  Traveling through the atmosphere = meteor.  Sitting on ground = meteorite.  You could even interpret it to mean if it's moving along the ground it's a meteor.

A meteorite, by seeming definition, contains no kinetic energy, thus it is incapable of destroying anything (other then by weight).

If it's moving on the ground it's likely a Mercury Meteor.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/8/22 10:48 p.m.
Rons said:

There aren't many of those moving on the ground any more!  Maybe moving on a trailer. :)

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/9/22 12:09 a.m.

Woman Hit by Meteorite

For the Only Person Ever Hit by a Meteorite, the Real Trouble Began Later

Evidently, she was hit by a ricochet bounce, so not sure if she was hit by a meteor or a meteorite. smiley

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
11/9/22 10:33 a.m.

This reminds me of a meme my geology teach taught us to remember the difference between a stalagmite and a stalactite.

"When the mites go up, the tights go down".

Nice.

RX Reven'
11/9/22 2:40 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Woman Hit by Meteorite

For the Only Person Ever Hit by a Meteorite, the Real Trouble Began Later

Evidently, she was hit by a ricochet bounce, so not sure if she was hit by a meteor or a meteorite. smiley

If I threw a meteorite at her (assuming I could throw good) would she get hit by a meteor???

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/10/22 2:37 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Rons said:

There aren't many of those moving on the ground any more!  Maybe moving on a trailer. :)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/315961746263268/
not sure from bad pictures, but I think that's a meteor...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UEAnnUsoPTLxtpjxjtiv69ypceff1gTHapZNelLdPeOg7buy02DfyPVYiQc7fpQI