1 2 3 4
Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
6/19/13 6:16 p.m.

For the purposes of this topic, lets assume one sitting is from waking up to sleeping again.

So I'm looking at a job working the oil fields in ND, which according to the Google's is just under 1700 miles away and nearly a 28 hour drive.

Of course, I can fly there on my dime too, but I'm looking at making the drive at least once just to do it. Maybe just drive every time because I love road trips, hate flying, and no worries about checking bags or lost luggage.

My longest day to date was just over 24 hours, which was 1100 miles roundtrip to Indianapolis from WV, with a little sightseeing and test driving a car.

I'm figuring at worst, I sleep after my shift in ND, wake up, jump into the car, and drive past the halfway point and find a Motel 6 or something...or maybe just sleep in the Vic. After all, its probably near impossible to cover the whole trip in one sitting, right?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/19/13 6:20 p.m.

I did 2500 miles from Los Angeles to Decatur, IN in 42 hours in a 1975 Plymouth in 1999.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
6/19/13 6:27 p.m.

Longest to date is about 12 hours. That was Owensboro, KY to Menominee, MI, going through Chicago and Milwaukee. Realistically I would probably limit myself to 12 hours if I were doing all the driving. Most I've ever done on my own is about 8.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
6/19/13 6:35 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Well, berk. Guess I gotta put on my big boy pants and just truck on thru. :D

I think planning for two days is prudent, but if I can make it all in one stint, why not?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/19/13 6:38 p.m.

Close to 11 hours, which I did on an offroad TSD (plus a 1-hour break after the first 5 hours.) Near the end I was microsleeping at the checkpoints, I was half-dreaming while listening for the signal to take off.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
6/19/13 6:44 p.m.

When I was younger, 750 miles in a Europa and I was about done for the day.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/19/13 6:47 p.m.

I've done Chambersburg PA to Minneapolis MN in one shot. Was just over 16 hours.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/19/13 6:49 p.m.

I can do 30+ hours without a lot of problems. I'd hammer through that trip.

Now if I'm traveling consistently, I try to stay around 12hr or less a day.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
6/19/13 6:50 p.m.

Just did 1150 miles in a shade under 19 hours. I had every intention of stopping when I wore down but I had an unusually good day. In my youth I could consistently do 20 hours. Now that I'm pushing 40 a 12-14 hour day is usually my limit. The trip you're describing is a two day trip. Considering you'd lose a day flying, it's only adding one day to your trip. With a trip that long, mileage matters too. I burned about $250 in gas on my recent trip. Driving back will cost me another $250. That $500 is about the cost of a plane ticket. I'm moving four people one way and five back so the savings for me are pretty significant compared to a single person traveling. The equation of time and money is different for each person. A single guy in a truck might do better flying. A pair of you on the same shifts team driving a civic might do better on the road. It all depends.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/19/13 6:51 p.m.
Racer1ab wrote: In reply to aussiesmg: Well, berk. Guess I gotta put on my big boy pants and just truck on thru. :D I think planning for two days is prudent, but if I can make it all in one stint, why not?

In truth there was a beautiful brunette waiting for me in Ohio so I had motivation. She is now Mrs Aussie.

I do Ohio to Daytona in one sitting regularly, have driven to Waco TX to pick up a $475 ebay 73 Capri and plenty more.

Mongo is tougher to do it on your own in, he just needs so much more effort. Fixing the tiller, once known as steering would help.

I appear to be odd, when I get behind the wheel I just drive until I get there. Drives the wife crazy.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/19/13 6:55 p.m.

Damn. You guys are soft. We did south FL to WV once a year when I was a kid. 1000 miles on the dot. I've done it twice as a grownup.

The Canexican has done Winnepeg to Brownsville TX in one shot on multiple occasions. THAT'S a berkeleying hike.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
6/19/13 6:57 p.m.

I've only had to do 12. I'm sure I could do near 20 with the invention of energy drinks. Havnt had a roadtrip in many a year.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/19/13 6:59 p.m.

Stock up on redbull or other wake me up of choice, and knock it out in a day. Stay away from Chicago,that alone should save you an hour....

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
6/19/13 6:59 p.m.

I forgot to mention, even with the Vic's somewhat dismal fuel economy, a plane ticket vs. the cost of fuel is basically the same. Time is really the only thing I save flying, but every 8 weeks someone would have to pick me up and take me to the airport or I gotta pay an arm and a leg for a taxi service if no one is available to get me.

The biggest fear with the drive is a mechanical failure, of course, that's always in the back of my mind when flying too. :D

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
6/19/13 7:06 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Damn. You guys are soft. We did south FL to WV once a year when I was a kid. 1000 miles on the dot. I've done it twice as a grownup.

You sir, are soft. I do Texas to Michigan, the mentioned 1150 miles each way twice a year, every year. I've done it in the summer with no AC. I've done it in winter with crappy tires. I've done it alone. I've done it in a U-haul with a 19 year old who was 7.5 months pregnant. I've done it with babies in the car. I had a three year old who couldn't make it to a bathroom. #2. I just changed him and threw the pants away. I've got stories that could tell you stories.
In all seriousness, I'm starting to dread the massive straight through drives. I want to slow down and take back roads and see things. I'm getting old.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
6/19/13 7:09 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: The Canexican has done Winnepeg to Brownsville TX in one shot on multiple occasions. THAT'S a berkeleying hike.

That's roughly the same distance, and no border crossing to deal with for me, so maybe it is doable.

I've also recently developed an affinity for Rockstar recovery and Monster rehab energy drinks...so its worth a shot.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/13 7:19 p.m.

In 2004, I drove from Bozeman, MT to Omaha, NE. It's almost 1050 miles and it took me just over 17 hours. I had already been on the road all day the day prior and I really didn't want to prolong my drive. Plus as a fiscally irresponsible E-3, I didn't have enough money for another hotel room.

The worst part was the leg from Sioux Falls to Omaha going south on I-29. It was the middle of the night and I was so fatigued I was hallucinating. That was the scariest part of the trip by far. I was so relieved to get to Omaha. I promised myself I would never, ever do that again.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/13 7:21 p.m.

My record behind the wheel is 22 hours non-stop except for gas and restrooms. 12-14 hours was SOP 4 days a week. I was in my 20s at the time. I have woken up on the interstate with two tires in the grass staring at the end of a guard rail. I have driven through towns and not even remembered it. I have zoned out, missed an exit and ended up in another state 100 miles later.

Now, at 45, anything over 10-12, I'm stopping for the night. Apparently you do get smarter with age. Or maybe you just start feeling mortal.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
6/19/13 7:36 p.m.
Racer1ab wrote:
poopshovel wrote: The Canexican has done Winnepeg to Brownsville TX in one shot on multiple occasions. THAT'S a berkeleying hike.
That's roughly the same distance, and no border crossing to deal with for me, so maybe it is doable. I've also recently developed an affinity for Rockstar recovery and Monster rehab energy drinks...so its worth a shot.

That said, safety first, know your limits and its very manly to kick back for a couple of hours in a rest area rather that wipe out a minivan full of kids at 2am.

Have a phone buddy, someone to talk to when you are struggling, that is a big help.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork

800 miles, 13 hours, 1 tank in my Jetta from Atlanta to Keokuk, Iowa.

Since I had the range I didn't want to stop.

jere
jere Reader

The most I've done is 19 hour stretches, but that is with short breaks (bathroom, lunch...) in-between. Unless the money is really good I limit myself to 12-13 hours.

American highways seem to be long boring straights, good for saving time but also good for falling asleep behind the wheel. If I was just commuting for work I would just hop on a train or a bus sleep there and save some money, stress, and risks (car breaking, crashing, falling asleep,deer, cow falls...). Enjoy the scenery, watch some movies.

For the getting around on the other end maybe pick up a cheap motorcycle or something.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/19/13 7:40 p.m.
You sir, are soft.

Nah. I'm just way less of a...um...what's the politically correct term..."copper wire maker" than my dad. I'll crash. Or fly. If you can't afford $60 for a hotel room, wtf are you doing making the trip!?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/13 7:42 p.m.

I did a 24 hour stretch once but the second half doesn't count because I was in the passenger seat.

Longest trip where I was actually driving? That'd be the trip home from Tulsa last year. Left at ~8am and got home at ~2am, minus time changes = 16 hours, and I was a total zombie. About 4 hours from home I just sat at a rest stop and started calling people just so I could take a break without falling asleep. (And it turns out the only person who answered was my sister, who was working full-time PLUS going to school full-time PLUS taking care of her grandfather, which really put my situation into perspective...)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
6/19/13 7:53 p.m.

28 straight hours alone, you will be dead within a year. I don't give a E36 M3 what the tough dudes tell you, thats one of the most dangerous things you will ever do.

A couple of 14 hour days with a nice hotel in the middle will be more than enough, likely.

Now, add in a second driver, an XC90 (or similar big, fast wagon) with the back seat folded down, a couple of sleeping bags and some noise cancelling headphones, and I'll drive across the continent.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
6/19/13 7:58 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
Racer1ab wrote:
That's roughly the same distance, and no border crossing to deal with for me, so maybe it is doable. I've also recently developed an affinity for Rockstar recovery and Monster rehab energy drinks...so its worth a shot.
That said, safety first, know your limits and its very manly to kick back for a couple of hours in a rest area rather that wipe out a minivan full of kids at 2am. Have a phone buddy, someone to talk to when you are struggling, that is a big help.

Budgeting the time and money for a motel room is the smart thing to do, and at a bare minimum, I will probably kick back in a rest area and grab a nap in the P71.

Just kinda wondered what was the breaking point of folks here on the forum, because I know we are a bit crazier than most.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JCvP7hFzkkYarrNE3Su2d5XTFEfk6XT4gkqsUM57Jh2REWilg38IJB1YBBNKdybb