1 2
psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/28/08 9:57 a.m.

I figure this should get some interesting responses. List each type of vehicle you've operated in your life. The operation need not have been extensive or even legal, but you have to have moved some type of motorized vehicle from A to B. Subdivisions of "types" on a common-sense basis.

My list:

1) Car 2) Motorcycle 3) ATV (3-wheeled and 4) 4) Tractor (Ford 8N) 5) Airplane (Cessna 150, 172, and 182 and some kind of old Stinson) 6) Boat 7) Large Truck (M37 Dodge Weapons Carrier)--think that's a 1 1/4 ton 8) SUV 9) Pickup truck 10) Van 11) Scooter 12) Go-kart 12) Sailplane (Schweizer something or other)

All I can think of right now. Probably more if I think about it. I'm interested to see what some of you nutjobs have driven.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
5/28/08 10:08 a.m.

12) Sailplane = non-motorized

(you made the rules)

My list is similar, although my 'operation' of aircraft, both single engine and sailplanes are limited to some steady altitude turns with an experienced pilot ready to grab the controls at the first sign of me berkeleying-up.

I can add tractor, backhoe and bobcat and riding mower.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
5/28/08 10:09 a.m.

1) Car (sedan, coupe, convertible, wagon...). 2) Pickup Truck. 3) Motorcycle. 4) Scooter. 5) Forklift. 6) Tractor. 7.) Excavator. 8) Airplane (but I was just allowed to do it for kicks...I don't think it should count). 9) Power Boat. 10) Sailboat. 11) Toter Home truck (like a semi, but not quite as big...single axle, gooseneck, airbrakes). 12) ATVs. 13) Van. 14) SCCA TransAM cars (R&S, Rocketsports, Huffaker clones). 15) ALMS Panoz GT car. 16) Formula SAE cars. 17) 36K GVW (?) Straight truck (lumber). 18) 24'-26' rental box trucks. 19) Dune Buggy. 20) RV / Motorhome. 21) PWC / Jetski type stuff.

I'll keep thinking ;)

Clem

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/28/08 10:35 a.m.
bludroptop wrote: 12) Sailplane = non-motorized (you made the rules) My list is similar, although my 'operation' of aircraft, both single engine and sailplanes are limited to some steady altitude turns with an experienced pilot ready to grab the controls at the first sign of me berkeleying-up. I can add tractor, backhoe and bobcat and riding mower.

D'oh. Yeah, it was being towed by a motorized vehicle...at least at first...but if that's the case, then I can add "upside down car hood being yanked around a snowy field by a dunebuggy" to the list. Yes, I am a redneck.

And, like everyone else who grew up in the midwest, I can add riding mower.

Jay
Jay HalfDork
5/28/08 11:01 a.m.

Cars, vans/SUVs, motor homes, lawn tractors, "real" tractors, ATVs, bobcats, school buses, normal buses, cube vans, non-articulated box trucks, some small motorboats, and a jetski.

Edit: forgot snowmobiles and gokarts.

> J

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
5/28/08 11:21 a.m.

Well, let's see. Minibike, scooter, go-cart, ATV, motorcyle, chopper, car (sedan & wagon), pickup truck (2WD & 4WD), military trucks (jeep, duece&1/2, HMMV, HMET, scamp), tugs, snowmobile, powerboat, RV, cube van/truck, airplane (Cessna 172), helicopter (UH-1H Huey & CH-47 Chinook), bobcat, rider-mower, tractor. That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll add more when I think of them.

Duke
Duke Dork
5/28/08 11:42 a.m.

OK, not sure I understand the 'power' rules, but here goes.

Car: all body configurations and drivetrain layouts

Trucks: Pickup, stake, dump, and van bodies up to 10,000 lbs GVW

Tractors: Riding mowers (4-wheel and zero-radius style), agricultural up to 100 PTO HP

Construction equipment: skidsteer, backhoe, steel roller

Motorcycles: dirt, street

ATVs: 3-wheel, 4-wheel, 6-wheel

Miscellaneous: Snowmobile, kart, jet-ski

Boats: Row, paddle, sail, outboard, I/O, inboard up to 50 feet in length

Airplanes: Single engine, glider

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
5/28/08 11:53 a.m.

Cars: same as above, lotsa configurations

Trucks: Same

Motorcycles: One dirt, the rest street

Boats: Race sailboats, use rescue motorboats.
Nuclear Submarine (Yeah, they let me drive)

Flying things: Hang gliders (no motor, no tow)

foxtrapper
foxtrapper New Reader
5/28/08 12:16 p.m.

It's easier to describe what I've never driven.

No submarines, no diesel electric locomotives, no jet planes, and no Harley's.

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
5/28/08 12:45 p.m.

Many of what's already been mentioned, but including Steam Roller (and also a Chrysler Hemi-powered tandem drum road roller).

confuZion3
confuZion3 Reader
5/28/08 1:45 p.m.

R/C cars / trucks (gas & electric)

R/C planes

R/C boats

Real cars

Real planes (Cessna 150 & 172, Piper Cherokee)

Go-carts (Ocean-City style on-roaders, and my off-road units)

Boats

Dirt Bikes

Four-wheelers

Road bikes (CBR-600, Harley-Davidson, Suzuki SV-1000)

6-wheel ATV (those things are AWESOME!!!)

Small lawn tractors

Small farm / lawn tractors (John Deere 53 hp diesel - backhoe, front-end-loader, auger --- neat toy)

Bobcat front-end-loader thingy

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/08 2:02 p.m.

RC Vehicles: On-road cars, off-road buggies, ornithopters, hovercrafts.

Land vehicles: Cars/SUVs, go-karts, motorcycles, bicycles, skateboards.

Sea vehicles: kayak, body board, wave runner (OW)

Air vehicles: None :(

grtechguy
grtechguy Dork
5/28/08 2:54 p.m.

Street Legal w/ motor: car, truck, semi-tractor, motorcycle

Street and Offroad no motor: Mtn Bike, runner sleds, ski's, snowboards, roller skates, inline skates, skateboard

Off-road w/motor: Lawnmower, tractors, snowmobile, quad, 3-wheeler, motorcycle, skidster, dune buggy, go-kart

Seafairing: Kayak, Canoe, Jetski, powerboat, rowboat, dingy

assorted: Iceboat.

airfairing: Parachute

mtn
mtn Dork
5/28/08 3:16 p.m.

Cars-Convertible, Coupe, Sedan, SUV, Pickup, Wagon, Hatch,

Boats-Tiller, Console, Jet Skis, Wave Runners, Sail (with a lot of help), canoes, rafts, and a failed attempt at putting a 9 hp engine on a canoe (turns out it flips the canoe, who'd a thunk it?)

ATV's, Snowmobiles, go-carts, golf carts, golf carts with a clutch, minibike, riding mower, tractor, moped

Aston Martin. No, I'm not kidding, the course where I caddy has a car-wash on the weekends if it is nice, and they needed to move it so that they could get the next car in. My boss had already left for the day, and no one who was working could drive a stick shift. So I drove an Aston a total of 24 feet.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/28/08 3:21 p.m.

Cars, all kinds of trucks short of an 18 wheeler, Class A and C motor homes, farm tractors, bulldozer, backhoe, Bobcat (over way too soon!) articulated loader (that was fun too!), forklifts ranging from electric walk behind order pickers to 25,000 pound capacity tandem wheel diesel V8, motorcycles of all types, 3 and 4 wheel ATVs, ATTEX 6 wheeler,
go carts, RC airplanes, RC cars, RC boat (once) bicycles including tandem and 3 wheel, real boats including sailboats (not well) and powerboats (better with those) Jet Skis, both standup and rider,

and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/28/08 5:53 p.m.

Airplanes: old rag-and-tube, Chinese Military Trainer, Russian Acro trainer, competitive acro plane, big twin, assorted others

Cars: fwd, rwd, awd, sedan, roadster, wagon, Van, SUV, Moving Truck, go-kart

Boats: Sail 40', in between, monohull, catamaran, racing, Wind Surfer, dinghy, outboord motor, powerboat, canoe, paddle boat, rowboat, wind-surfer

No Motor: bikes, water skis, wake board, roller skates, inline skates, skateboard

Misc: Tractor, Golf Cart

RC/Model: trains, boats, cars, control-line airplane

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
5/28/08 7:00 p.m.

Car, pickup, SUV....wow, I have to get working. Oh, tractors, jet-ski, boat, standard stuff like that.

I really have to drive a CDL-class truck sometime just to say I have. Get my CDL license when I retire, if I ever do, or if they have trucks when I retire.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
5/28/08 11:48 p.m.

Lets see.. all varients of pickups, sedans, wagons, SUVs, ATVs (3 and 4 wheelers,) Snow Mobiles, Jetskis, jet boat, canoe, cabin cruiser, box truck, 36' straight truck (all over the country,) forklift, bobcat, tractor, riding mower, and when I flew the Space Shuttle Landing simulator at the Virginia Air & Space Museum a docent asked me how long I've been a pilot. I also crashed a soyuz into the ISS in another simulator. I'm working an angle to get behind the throttle of a steam locomotive too.

Duke
Duke Dork
5/29/08 7:44 a.m.

Oh, heck, if we're adding R/C into it, then I've flow R/C fixed-wing planes (powered and glider), boats (gas, electric, and sail), cars (gas and electric), offroad buggies (gas and electric), and, yes, an R/C snowmobile.

I also flew the full-motion C-5 Galaxy simulator they use to train pilots at Dover AFB. It was actually a sweetheart in the 'air' - very easy to fly. My first landing I came in a little hard because the landing gear was about 50 feet lower than I thought it should be, but the rest of the landings I greased, even when they threw me some bad weather.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
5/29/08 8:33 a.m.

I've operated 13 different types of vehicles. I'm only at liberty to discuss cars, trucks, and various industrial equipment. The other types are secret vehicles that only I know about.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
5/29/08 9:04 a.m.

While I have operated many diferent motorized....devices, I have never crashed a submarine or a hot air balloon. Sometime this month I get to go swamping in an airboat!

Bruce

RidgeRunner
RidgeRunner Dork
5/29/08 9:47 a.m.

Car, Light truck, Medium truck, Motorcycle, PWC, Boats, Farm tractor, Bobcat, Lawn mowers including ZTR, and last but not least: I have had my hands on the controls of a Cessna 172, but didn't do much besides get the feel of how little effort it takes to turn that thing.

On the to-do list: Motorcycle (beyond the parking lot). Locomotives, steam and diesel. Bigger boats. (much) Faster cars :twisted:

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
5/29/08 10:57 a.m.

Minibikes, 3 and 4wheel ATV's, gokarts (sprint, shifter, offroad), snowmobiles, dirtbikes, crotchrockets, cars, rallycars, pickups, vans, tractors (lawnmower and backhoe), class A and C RV's, class C trucks (26000gvw), Sea-doo, 16' skiboat, 85' maxi yacht (Atalanta---awesome awesome boat), Schweitzer sailplane, hot air balloons, and last but certainly not least, 2 hours' stick time in one of the Fuji blimps. Hell yes I logged it!

I also "drove" one of the monorails at Disneyland once when I was a kid....got to sit up top there and twist the rheostat...

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/31/08 1:48 p.m.

Don't think I can list them all- I'll list a few weird ones.

Yugo race car :grin: Hang glider (I know, it's not motorized) Soap box derby car (ditto) Crane Speedboat Motorized bathtub Snapper mower that could ride wheelies Unicycle Bus Tank Helicopter (OK, I was a passenger)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
5/31/08 2:37 p.m.

What, no Zamboni drivers here? :grin:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q8areg9VFbKztjij12GJdIepiChJSTXIB1HQhyurxJrzhLowiFZ9F4aeuWQA5AdG