1 2 3
poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
11/15/13 7:41 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote: Relative to gross income, 36.5% goes to savings (401K, Roth, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Individual Investment Account, and paying down mortgage principle) and ~26.5% goes to fed + state income tax so that leaves me with 37 cents on the dollar. I pick up a little more in gross savings from various matching programs but then I liquidate some of my employee stock when I make a big purchase like a car so it pretty much evens out. I’m a natural born worry wart…I’ve had my current job for nine years and it pays well, I’m 49 and I’ve already saved many, many times more than most people my age but it’s never enough to make me feel secure. I get a big laugh every time I access my on-line brokerage account because the cover page has a danger sign that reads, “Brett, based on your current savings and standard investment projections, you may only have XXX dollars to spend per year in retirement”. It’s funny because the number is huge and they’re only seeing one of many accounts. None of this matters, I worry and worry and save and save.

PERCENTAGES!!!??? THAT'S CRAZY TALK!!! PUT AWAY YOUR CALCULATOR, ELITIST NERD!!!

(Jokes.)

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/15/13 11:09 p.m.
barrowcadbury wrote:
JoeyM wrote: I'm not comfortable putting specific numbers out there. I will say that it is SIGNIFICANTLY less than the [self reported] median income of GRMers as seen in the GRM media kit that is available to advertisers. FWIW, in general, the forum members here have a tendency towards being more DIY and less affluent than the general readership.
Error 404 - Linkey no workie...

I just tried it again. It works fine for me. If you want to find it, scroll to the bottom of this page, and click on "advertisers".....it is a link to the media kit on that page.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/16/13 8:48 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to logdog: I grew up poor, so I always feel the need to have cash at the house. I usually have $10-15K in the safe. Don't know why I do it, but I do.

My father-in-law grew up poor in rural Alabama - today he walks around with $1,500 cash in his pocket. Don't mess with him because at 77 years old he would easily want to "box your jaw". He grew up in this era with these guys......

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
11/16/13 11:35 a.m.

I'm still a student so not much. Any extra cash that I may have in the future is already earmarked for baby stuff, and any left over is probably going to college fund. My parents put me through college, I'm paying it forward. If not college then tech school, emergency fund, whatever. I can entertain myself with the stuff I already have, if I actually do autox again I'll just need tires and gas. My car handles beyond my mega-noob skill level, no need to dump cash into it.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/14/13 8:36 p.m.

And I don't want you and I don't need you
Don't bother to resist, or I'll beat you
It's not your fault that you're always wrong
The weak ones are there to justify the strong

The beautiful people, the beautiful people
It's all relative to the size of your steeple
You can't see the forest for the trees
You can't smell your own E36 M3 on your knees

There's no time to discriminate,