1 2 3
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/6/19 12:26 p.m.

So. My parents have an old upright that is in good shape in our house. It's so old the keys are ivory. 

They're having a hard time getting rid of it. Noone seems to want it and it's a shame to just cut it up and put it in the trash(my dad's idea)  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/6/19 12:37 p.m.

Put it in the yard and set it on fire.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/6/19 12:38 p.m.

Local school?  Independent Music teacher?  BFH?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/6/19 12:45 p.m.

Where is it located?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/6/19 12:51 p.m.

I almost bought one at the local thrift store this past week.  $100.  Name brand (I forget which, but name brand), nothing broken, not a scratch on it.  Dr.Linda couldn't think of a place to put it and it's not as convenient as the electric keyboards.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/6/19 1:04 p.m.

I have been a little surprised by the number of free pianos on CL.  smiley

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/6/19 1:04 p.m.

The local museum probably has a few thousand sitting in storage somewhere.  A full size piano is a thing that used to be in almost every home, and now they are just an ovesized pain in the ass.

I have one in my basement.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/6/19 1:06 p.m.

was that a Morris Marina?  Bit thin on the ground this side of the pond. wink

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/6/19 1:06 p.m.

Good luck.  We had a 100 year old beater piano. Our church has 2 student type uprights.  I have a sweet 1960's Wurlitzer organ in my basement that is leaving via pieces soon.  

You can't give them away.  I've tried many times on Craigslist.  

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/6/19 1:10 p.m.

If you smash it up be careful, there's a lot of tension when all the strings are added together.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/6/19 1:38 p.m.

I'll take it!  Free shipping, right? laugh

But seriously, there are people looking for free pianos.  I have one that my little guy plays and I actually paid like a hundred bucks for it.  You just need to "sell" it.  Describe what a fine instrument it is, what fine shape it's in, and that you and three of your strongest friends will help them move it.  Make them pick yours over all the other ones they can have by convincing them that yours is betterer.

But, yeah.  Supply definitely exceeds demand at this point in time.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/6/19 1:42 p.m.

I have a Chickering baby grand player piano in my living room. I wish I didn't but it has been in the family since the 1910s. My mother offered it to us and DW wanted the heirloom, so here it sits. It plays not well and the player mechanism, though complete, hasn't functioned in my lifetime. 

I would be happy if someone would take it away for free, but DW is convinced it is valuable.  Sigh. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/6/19 1:56 p.m.

My dad cut our old one up a few years back.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
10/6/19 1:56 p.m.

Whatever you do, please do not donate it to a local bar/club/music venue. They will of course be happy to have it, but it will always be on the stage taking up too much space and zero bands will ever use it. They only people who will touch it will be the drunks who decide to entertain the happy hour crowd with a terrible Tom Waites impersonation or bad showtunes.

frown

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/6/19 2:05 p.m.

It might make a really cool fish tank / terrarium.  Try marketing it that way.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
10/6/19 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

There is a family in your neighborhood ( school district ) begging for it.  Maybe Don’t have the resources to get it.  

Find a music /  piano Teacher and make the connection.  

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/19 2:40 p.m.

Organs and pianos are basically given away nowdays sadly.

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
10/6/19 2:42 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

Whatever you do, please do not donate it to a local bar/club/music venue. They will of course be happy to have it, but it will always be on the stage taking up too much space and zero bands will ever use it. They only people who will touch it will be the drunks who decide to entertain the happy hour crowd with a terrible Tom Waites impersonation or bad showtunes.

frown

Jazz / Country western bars will want it but they will put thumb tacks in the hammers  and now you have a honky tonk piano. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/6/19 3:03 p.m.

Mini bar. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
10/6/19 3:04 p.m.

This was my friends answer:

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/6/19 3:13 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I've gotta say, that little car fared a lot better than I would have imagined.  I wonder how high the piano was when they let it go?  I figured it would have folded the frame.  If you cut the roof off that car, you could drive it away.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/19 3:30 p.m.

Simple. Build a catapult or trebuchet. 

Fire is optional.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
10/6/19 3:40 p.m.

Didn't you watch cartoons as a kids? There were hundreds of ways to get rid of pianos and most involved dropping them out of a 10th story window onto somebody. 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/6/19 4:10 p.m.

Does your city have a street piano program? Twin Cities has this https://www.mplsdowntown.com/pianos/  they or another group may take pianos. Vancouver has a street piano program, and at times the spirit of the player exceeds talent while others are quite good. From time to time a piano meets an unfortunate demise and a replacement may be needed.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/6/19 4:30 p.m.

Turn it into a bar.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
su9CoOAgLfymYBBVZVzDPRuYyXhEnGMggYCfUGBUzHpQO2j6UYynuK3lRiROFTix