1 2
matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
1/3/24 5:27 p.m.

If it is just to keep the curious out, a regular exterior door knob with lock on your closet is easy, but you have to lock your closet.

Stack-On makes some very affordable options, and they use good keys (double sided with different cuts on each side). They also make some that fit between studs, so you don't lose space.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/24 12:07 a.m.

I store all my long guns using either a trigger lock or a cable lock.  

These are all then stored in safes.  I am a firm believer in redundancy when it comes to securing these things.

Another thing to consider is Amo.  Amo is locked in Amo Box's and locked in steel cabinets.  This is the other half of what is needed to make it go boom so I treat it the same as the actual firearm.  And some of the Amo is expensive stuff.  Some of the stuff for my long-range rifles can be a couple of dollars per round.  There is no need for people to be messing with it unless supervised. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/4/24 3:14 p.m.

With the stock extended on the AR10, they do get close to matching in terms of geometry for locking up like the picture above.

Laying them on top of each other, I think I can put rods where the circles are, and saddles where the oblong sections are. That leaves room for the eventual scope.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
1/4/24 4:58 p.m.

Out of site out of mind option with a lock is good.  Stack on makes a nice lightweight setup that is typically cheap and available.  They also make one that is meant to to fit into hole cut in drywall between studs that would be pretty stealthy. 

For that matter just put together a wood or metal door, chop into drywall, and add a simple hasp and padlock.  Do it in a closet behind clothes and literally noone would find it.

Edit - A quick google search says most of the lightweight safe options are still ~$150 or so.  Easy button is cable locks thru the breaches.  As a foster parent I had to have my guns locked and individually action secured with ammo stored separately.  I made of some cable locks with stainless cable that had a nice rubber coating that I bought by the foot at Depot.  They also sell the crimp clasps to make a look for a simple padlock.  Solved the problem on the cheap, although not really an anti-theft thing if that is the concern.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KhpBDp2QuCGvaGO5QptQAg35JF2Ix6X4k6nvQZ5CV9dJhcdhLfLrMhkIMVWwXprf