1 2
Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
8/8/10 11:36 a.m.

Well as some of you might know, I'm now the proud owner of a 4 month old Beagle puppy. Thus far he's actually been very well behaved, despite what everyone keeps warning us.

In, what is perhaps a silly move, I'm paying for Obediance Training. The only other experience I had training dogs was from the old Chokechain And Loud Yelling school of training. Even as a kid I didn't like it.

Anyways, he's doing very good. Except for potty training. We're trying to get him on a schedule of eating (either breakfast or dinner) and then going out to poop. However Bucky (the puppy) doesn't seem to like this schedule. The trainer we have told us to let him out for 10 minutes, and if he doesn't go, then 10 minutes in his kennel. Repeat. However he'll go through this cycle for over two hours. Despite really having to go, if you know what I mean.

Is there another way to go about this, or should I just stay on course?

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
8/8/10 11:44 a.m.

When he's out - stay out until he goes. Once he goes praise like he won a Nobel prize. Go in, get a cookie. Also watch him his behavior will probably change a little right before he goes. When you see it get him outside quick

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/8/10 12:29 p.m.

When you walk him, take him to a spot where he has recently pooped, the smell should remind him he needs go. Also, some dogs really prefer a certain area for pooping and will hold it forever until they can poop in the right locale (location, location, location). If he seems to like going under a bush, or on the pine straw, or whatever, make sure you incorporate those areas on your outings.

Congrats on the new pup!

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
8/8/10 12:30 p.m.
oldtin wrote: When he's out - stay out until he goes. Once he goes praise like he won a Nobel prize. Go in, get a cookie. Also watch him his behavior will probably change a little right before he goes. When you see it get him outside quick

The trainer I'm going to told me that is a bad idea. Her reasoning was that it teaches him that he can go out on his schedule. I'm trying to train him to realize the backyard (small as it might be) is for going potty.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
8/8/10 1:40 p.m.

I disagree with putting him in his kennel as punishment for not going potty. That teaches him that "kennel" is bad place. "Kennel" is supposed to be safe place, not jail.

Put a bell on the doorknob. Take pooch to the bell, ring bell with his paw, take him outside - to his potty spot (you DO have a potty spot for him, right?) and wait. When he relieves himself, praise him like he won the Nobel prize and give him a treat. Be careful though, the bell is only for potty, not "Hey, I want out."

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/8/10 2:13 p.m.

They won't potty where they sleep. I have potty trained puppies by putting them on a short leash (short, like 6-8") at night at the foot of the bed, then FIRST THING in the morning, before you even get your coffee, put the regular leash on them, take them out side and wait until they potty. They figger it out pretty fast. Keep a close eye on them at all other times and when they look like they even might be stating to go, pick them up and carry them outside.

Congrats on the puppy.

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
8/8/10 2:19 p.m.

If he's not potty trained the first priority is outside, then timing. Another option is matchsticks. It's a little weird but works. My wife was a trainer for about 10 years plus taking on a lot of rescue dogs as a foster home with Doberman and great Pyrenees rescue.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
8/8/10 3:32 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: I disagree with putting him in his kennel as punishment for not going potty. That teaches him that "kennel" is bad place. "Kennel" is supposed to be safe place, not jail. Put a bell on the doorknob. Take pooch to the bell, ring bell with his paw, take him outside - to his potty spot (you DO have a potty spot for him, right?) and wait. When he relieves himself, praise him like he won the Nobel prize and give him a treat. Be careful though, the bell is only for potty, not "Hey, I want out."

See that's part of it. He doesn't yet associate our backyard with his potty spot. And going in other peoples yards (even if we pick it up) if frowned upon. He's got the peeing thing down. He knows the when needs to go, we go out back and he goes. It's the pooping thing he isn't getting. He actually hasn't pooped all day. He doesn't seem upset or in pain. Every time we take him out he always seems like he's on the verge of going, but then doesn't. I've seen those Potty Rocks. Any ever used one before?

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
8/8/10 3:43 p.m.

Maybe your entire backyard, however small it may be, is too vast an area for him to get the picture. We have a 8'x4' pen for our dog (6lb Papillon). We got it at a pet store; it's just a wire fence. Well, two 4x4 sets put together. It's his potty spot.

I don't want to scare you, but it took almost a year for our dog to get past having accidents in the house. But then again, Paps are difficult in that regard.

Watch your puppy, don't let him out of your sight. When he has to grind one out, he'll probably get antsy: circling, sniffing, arching his back, getting his rear feet closer to his front feet, pacing, etc. You'll start to learn his signs when he has to go.

Hang in there. Bucky will get the hang of it, eventually. Also, Nature's Miracle is pretty good for cleaning/disinfecting/odor eliminating accidents.

f86sabjf
f86sabjf Reader
8/8/10 7:06 p.m.

i would suggest walking him on leash all over the yard until he goes. Dogs are no different than us. Walking him will help the poo work its way out. Dont let him just sniff around at his leisure.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/8/10 7:27 p.m.

Congrats on the puppy. We did it Oldtins way and it worked in about two weeks. He is also good at telling us if he has to go. He picks up a heavy or squeekie toy and makes noise from us to the front door and then drops the toy at the door. Since my schedule is different day to day it's kinda hard to keep him on one.

Hotlinked image Ollie at the pooping grounds

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
8/8/10 8:09 p.m.

I hate to quote or even cite to the Dog Whisperer but exercise seems to be the great cure. Take him for a walk on whatever schedule you can develop and apply consistently. Usually the dog will tell you if there needs to be another trip; you just have to recognize the request.

kcmoken
kcmoken New Reader
8/9/10 7:33 a.m.

Just as he is getting ready to go, give him a command. When he finishes, praise him. It doesn't take very long for them to associate the command with going to the bathroom. And having them poop on command is helpful if you have a neighbor you don't especially like.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
8/9/10 11:36 p.m.

I give up "....another option is matchsticks" ?

For starters, if all the training you have been doing so far is STRICTLY at your "obedience trainers" advice/orders....I'd fire that person. While not necessarily harmful, her "advice" is very "counter-intuitive" for a dog. MOST of what the other posters here have advised is what you will find in REPUTABLE dog training books. BTW, some breeds can be stubborn about training, but it almost sounds like you either need to walk your pup longer, or it's eating the wrong food.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
8/10/10 4:57 p.m.

At 4 months old, we're getting up once in the middle of the night to take a pup that small out to do his business at 3 AM -- their bladders can't quite get them through an 8 hour stretch.

And here is another vote to take the dog outside and encourage the h3ll outta them to go potty.....keep saying/using the same phrase over and over.......when they finally go, like oldtin sez -- praise 'em like they won the nobel prize! And taking them to the same spot where they went before helps, too. Let them pick the spot initially, just keep taking them back there again and again......

And if you can't watch them, keep them crated so they don't leave presents for you! MOST dogs won't crap where they sleep, but there are some that just don't care. And if they gotta go (read that as --- if YOU leave them in a crate too long!).....they gotta go.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
8/11/10 7:43 a.m.

Well as if to punish me for trying to take shortcuts, the puppy has diarrhea. I think it's because of the new puppy food we got. It started last night. We took him out 3 or 4 times in the evening and he poop, or squirted, each time. This includes when we took him out right before bed around 1100. Then around 0530 he started going ballistic. I went down stairs to find he had made a very solid poop in his kennel. He has NEVER gone in his kennel before. So I cleaned the kennel out as best I could (I also discovered we don't have a hose). I took him for a quick walk, where he pee'd and squirted again, but seemed fine. I put him back in his place around 0545. Went back to bed. Woke up at 0700 to him crying again. Ran downstairs in time to get him outside to poop, however he had pee'd in his cage this time. Or possibly really runny poop.

Some quick research says I should fast him for at least 12 hours, to try and let his stomach settle. Just a little bit of water. Or if he keeps getting sick, boiled rice with some chicken for flavor (although he doesn't get the chicken this time). He seems to be his normal self. I'll be keeping a very close eye on him today.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
8/11/10 8:19 a.m.

What was he eating before the new food you started?

If it is possible, try to blend the old stuff with the new -- make a gradual transition to the new stuff over a few days.

If that isn't possible, yes, hold off on his food for a bit, then start with something bland like chicken/rice or ground beef/rice. You can add in the meat, not a ton of it, but he needs some protein.

Have you had him to a vet to be checked out? I didn't catch where you got him from. Regardless, puppies can have worms, intestinal parasites, etc., and this could be the cause of your issues. A vet will be able to check him out and get you the right meds to get him back to normal.

As an aside, we got a ~1yo dog from a shelter -- went through almost 2 months trying to get all his worm/parasite/whatever issues cleared up. He had tooter and bladder issues. Lots of meds to clear it up.

Hang in there! All the work you are doing now is good and you'll be rewarded with a good dog as a result!

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
8/11/10 9:42 a.m.
orphancars wrote: What was he eating before the new food you started? If it is possible, try to blend the old stuff with the new -- make a gradual transition to the new stuff over a few days. If that isn't possible, yes, hold off on his food for a bit, then start with something bland like chicken/rice or ground beef/rice. You can add in the meat, not a ton of it, but he needs some protein. Have you had him to a vet to be checked out? I didn't catch where you got him from. Regardless, puppies can have worms, intestinal parasites, etc., and this could be the cause of your issues. A vet will be able to check him out and get you the right meds to get him back to normal. As an aside, we got a ~1yo dog from a shelter -- went through almost 2 months trying to get all his worm/parasite/whatever issues cleared up. He had tooter and bladder issues. Lots of meds to clear it up. Hang in there! All the work you are doing now is good and you'll be rewarded with a good dog as a result!

I think the previous stuff we had was Nature's Brand Puppy Mix. It was recommended by the pet store. He eat it, and if anything it made him poop very little. We ran out faster than I thought, so I didn't mix it like I should have.

We got him from the local SPCA. He's up to date on his shots, and doesn't appear to have any other symptoms. I guess I'll just have to watch him and see how this goes.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/11/10 2:54 p.m.

Wow cats are so much easier...you just let 'em outside and they never poop inside again. Unless they're sick, or old.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/11/10 5:32 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Cats ARE easier, but it takes less time to clean a litter box than to take a dog outside for it to do its' duty.

A good dog owner will take the dog out for exercise and its' relief. A good cat owner will clean the damn box once a day and invest the "time saved" by bonding with the cat with some play-time.

Just sayin..........

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/10 8:03 a.m.

Litter box? Like I said, mine haven't pooped inside since they were too small to be let outside on their own.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
8/12/10 8:15 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Wow cats are so much easier...you just let 'em outside and they never poop inside again. Unless they're sick, or old.

We have three cats too. Yeah, we're sort of the creepy pet family. I love cats and dogs. My cats are sweet, but they just don't have that "OMG I'm so happy to see you!" thing that I love so much from dogs.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/10 4:57 p.m.

Cats are easier for a reason. If they took any work they wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
8/12/10 5:26 p.m.

I got very lucky with my current dog. He was a stray that showed up at my girlfriends house. She already has 2 dogs and 3 cats. So she asked me if I wanted it because she won't take an animal to a shelter.

He was already house trained. The only accident there has been was my fault. I was gone for about 16 hours. I came home and went straight to the bathroom. He looked in the door and looked at me and just started to pee. Totally my fault.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
8/12/10 6:28 p.m.

sigh Now I'm starting to get frustrated. I went out and bought him the old kind of food. Yesterday he had a solid movement, but only one. So this morning I tried to mix a little bit of the two foods together. Be pooped in the morning outside. Then I had to go run some errands, and when my wife came home he had pooped in the kennel. She took him out, he did nothing. Then he had a goopy poop in the house. So I took him out again. A little later, another goopy poop. Looks like I gotta get serious about this potty training.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WlAWASelZJjbREbPOWMiCzXaZsoOBBfUkpgca7BCkO2EyFIjizyChNTJCZX4SmfX