J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/13/24 1:13 p.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/24 1:31 p.m.

If you take the original definition of a meme, they've been influencing stocks forever.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
5/13/24 2:53 p.m.

Oh dear, not this again...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/13/24 3:10 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Oh dear, not this again...

I do believe you mean "still"

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/13/24 3:41 p.m.

Weird, the tweet he posted was just a dude leaning forward in a chair. Nothing about Gamestock, and he's apparently since deleted it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/13/24 3:43 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

This meme is usually an indicator that E36 M3 is getting serious in a game.  Boss fight, that one part of the track you always mess up at, etc.

Considering the video game aspect of it, and what he is known for, it's probably seen as a signal to pay attention.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
5/13/24 3:56 p.m.

The stock is up like 200% from its low, will be interesting to see how it works out.  

I still think it is a great example to highlight some of the (possibly legal, it's very murky at that level) fraud and manipulation we allow in our markets from market makers, large brokerages, hedge funds, etc.  Phantom shares shouldn't be a thing, and if there is some valid short term reason (intraday trading), they certainly shouldn't be a thing for months on end.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/14/24 9:32 a.m.

I said GOT DAMN.  Up 100% at opening 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
5/14/24 9:36 a.m.

Just to throw this out there, as everyone will certainly say more about meme stocks today - the people who have access to pre-market trading and the ability to trade the volume of shares that's been happening is not regular retail investors. there's absolutely craziness around this, but it's from the massive investment firms 100x more than it's from regular people. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/14/24 9:44 a.m.

I managed to make $2k in my Roth IRA the last time, but I think I'm too chicken to try again. Although seeing today's jump I feel some FOMO for sitting this one out.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
5/14/24 9:47 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I've got maybe 80 shares at an average price of $20-something. I sold enough long while back to make up for the buy in and tax.  I'm just sitting on my hands now and watching.

These shares predate the stock split.  The short shares still haven't closed.  I'm just waiting.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/14/24 9:51 a.m.
dculberson said:

I feel some FOMO for sitting this one out.

If you take this chance you'll take the next and the next until you eventually get whacked...anything times zero is zero.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/14/24 11:05 a.m.

My 401k is still  90% nft's. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/14/24 11:28 a.m.

My coworker net the better part of $20k in 2021, then bought a Civic and moved west for a job. Didn't jump on it this time. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z5M4K4MbvnSBiHRhKlVTFzFzLn2OujzE6ZmzlIhm3gVzHgYIfhwSEYTwuMxUEcN9