1 2 3 4
z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
4/30/14 8:08 a.m.

How is all of this publicity "Damaging" the NBA?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/14 8:20 a.m.

For the NBA to do nothing would not go over we'll with their core fans. As it is most people who I've heard talking about it don't feel it goes far enough.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/30/14 8:20 a.m.

Adam Silver is green, and it remains to be seen if he will have the support to follow through.

Sterling loves the courts. This ain't even close to being over.

Meanwhile, just how much money has the NAACP accepted over the years from Sterling??

There seems to be no limit to the hypocrisy at virtually every level.

Wally
4/30/14 9:06 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Pretty much everyone in this story is colorblind. They only know green.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
4/30/14 9:15 a.m.
mtn wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Remember, the NBA isn't a public entity. While it does have to follow public laws, the sanctioning of people is entirely up to them. Be it nothing or this.
Good point. I forgot that. I guess I just have a hard time accepting the fact that it was a private conversation made public. Although I guess when you are in his position, there is no such thing as a private conversation and he should have expected as much.

As you point out, it's a very tough situation. Based on the evidence, there's no way that you get into a public hearing that way. Unless via a court order, or accepted by the accused- the recording just can't be used (assuming my light legal knowledge).

On the other hand, being legal or not isn't part of what professional sports uses as a level for being wrong. There are a host of items that get you fined or banned from a sport that is very legal in society. Heck, even the NCAA can levy punishment for things that are not legaly on the wrong side.

And on that note, since I'm not a fan of the NBA, and am not a consumer of their product, my interest in this case comes to an end. That's who they are trying to make feel better in the interest of protecting the players and owners income.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/30/14 9:47 a.m.
Wally wrote: For the NBA to do nothing would not go over we'll with their core fans.

You mean the 12 people in the world who want to watch some arrogant shiny happy person taunt the opposing team? Thats all it is anymore, and probably why I don't watch basketball now.

If this does somehow end up in a court of law, said recording will be eliminated from the evidence, then what will the NBA have to go on? You guessed it, nothing.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/30/14 10:10 a.m.
mtn wrote: What he said is disgusting. But what the NBA is doing is horrible as well. If his players and personell protest, and demand he sell or they're out, fine, wonderful--I am in full support of that. I wouldn't work for a boss like that. But from what I have gathered, this was a private conversation that was recorded without his knowledge. He wouldn't have said any of that if he knew that someone would be listening.

According to what I read on ESPN, the women and a witness said that Sterling knew he was being recorded.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/30/14 10:25 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Of course they'll claim that, otherwise their gravy train is over and they'll owe him damages....

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/30/14 10:28 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
mtn wrote: What he said is disgusting. But what the NBA is doing is horrible as well. If his players and personell protest, and demand he sell or they're out, fine, wonderful--I am in full support of that. I wouldn't work for a boss like that. But from what I have gathered, this was a private conversation that was recorded without his knowledge. He wouldn't have said any of that if he knew that someone would be listening.
According to what I read on ESPN, the women and a witness said that Sterling knew he was being recorded.

In that case he is a complete moron.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/30/14 10:29 a.m.

What did he say that was racist exactly? All I know is that he told her it is ok to berkeley black men, but don't post pictures of you and them and don't bring them to the games. Like I said earlier, unless he thinks it perfectly acceptable behavior for her to berkeley white men and then post pictures of them and take them to the games, then I fail to see this as a racist statement. If all the man did was call a black person (or people) black, then why is he being persecuted. Yes, I agree that the man is apparently a racist based on his past behavior and lawsuits. I am not saying that he is a good guy. I am saying that this whole story seems to be a big to do over nothing.

If I really cared, I guess I would actually listen to the recorded conversation. Perhaps there is something in there that is just so bad, that none of the 10-15 news articles I've read can even mention it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/14 10:41 a.m.

I haven't listened to the tape either, this page has the audio and transcripts of the relevant bits.

http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-extended-donald-sterling-tape-1568291249

Telling his girlfriend not to bring black people to the games is unquestionably racist (and in the context in which he said it, he wasn't referring to any specific people - but black people in general).

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/30/14 10:54 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

He sounds drunk and she sounds like a b*tch to be around.......

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/30/14 11:14 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: How is all of this publicity "Damaging" the NBA?

a huge % of their fan base is black, the vast majority of their players are black, nearly half of the management is black … if any or all of those think that the commissioner is condoning (if by no other method than not doing much) then the league itself could suffer … financially

the owners don't want this … just seeing the jump in franchise worth (in Sterling's case $18 M to nearly $1 B) is enough for them to band together and get rid of him

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/30/14 11:18 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Adam Silver is green, and it remains to be seen if he will have the support to follow through. Sterling loves the courts. This ain't even close to being over. Meanwhile, just how much money has the NAACP accepted over the years from Sterling?? There seems to be no limit to the hypocrisy at virtually every level.

not sure how much the court will have to say about this …. it's in the NBA constitution that at anytime the rest of the owners can force an owner to leave the "club" … if he refuses, they can kick his franchise out

since this is something all the owners (Sterling included) agreed to when they come on board, I'm betting a court won't be all the interested in stepping in …

now as to the GF taping the conversation … sure … but that won't/shouldn't have any bearing on what the other owners do … within the confines of their by-laws and their constitution

oh, and to the greenness of Adam Silver … he's sat at the right hand of David Stern for many yrs. and is a lawyer himself … so I'm betting he had some pretty in depth info as to how far he could go legally

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/30/14 11:26 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: Of course they'll claim that, otherwise their gravy train is over and they'll owe him damages....

don't think that's the way it'll play out … can't see the court being involved .. this is an internal disciplinary action … the courts (it seems like) could only become involved if Sterling were to bring some kind of action against his gf … the NBA can do pretty much what they want ..

since the commissioner is hired by the owners and answerable to them, and they all have agreed to abide by the constitution

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/30/14 11:36 a.m.

If you were the "other owners" would you be so hasty to throw him under the bus for something he said in a PRIVATE conversation knowing full well you could be next?

Maybe you made some campaign contributions... or have a little gambling problem. Maybe the mother of your children says you beat her... even if you are squeaky clean... the idea that a private thing like that could topple your wallet? Nah. I say the owners look at their own situations and vote accordingly leaving only what the commissioner can do on his own authority on the table.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/30/14 11:36 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Nope, you missed the point of my quoted post entirely. Expect lawsuits that pretty much ruin the broad who recorded him for "Unspecified Damages" If the owners force him out before that happens, they might just look bad. If the owners don't force him out, expect said lifetime ban to not be lifetime.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
4/30/14 11:39 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Meanwhile, just how much money has the NAACP accepted over the years from Sterling?? There seems to be no limit to the hypocrisy at virtually every level.

They were about to give him a special award. I wonder if they are going to go through with it.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
4/30/14 11:49 a.m.

nope … that went away in a great big hurry

Wally
4/30/14 11:51 a.m.

On the news this morning I heard they were not giving him the award and would return his money but that there was always a chance for forgivene$$ if he was interested.

Wally
4/30/14 11:56 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
Wally wrote: For the NBA to do nothing would not go over we'll with their core fans.
You mean the 12 people in the world who want to watch some arrogant shiny happy person taunt the opposing team? Thats all it is anymore, and probably why I don't watch basketball

Basketball is huge here. Where I am standing right now I see much more basketball gear than anything else. You piss of the people dropping big money on jackets and sneakers enough and nobody is making money.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
yamaha wrote: In reply to wbjones: Nope, you missed the point of my quoted post entirely. Expect lawsuits that pretty much ruin the broad who recorded him for "Unspecified Damages" If the owners force him out before that happens, they might just look bad. If the owners don't force him out, expect said lifetime ban to not be lifetime.

ok .. you're right, I'm not understanding … I don't think the other owners give a crap what happens to the gf … as far as they're concerned he can bring any charges he wants against her

Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: If you were the "other owners" would you be so hasty to throw him under the bus for something he said in a PRIVATE conversation knowing full well you could be next? Maybe you made some campaign contributions... or have a little gambling problem. Maybe the mother of your children says you beat her... even if you are squeaky clean... the idea that a private thing like that could topple your wallet? Nah. I say the owners look at their own situations and vote accordingly leaving only what the commissioner can do on his own authority on the table.

and to this … it's been talked about pretty continuously on the sports talk shows … and in the opinion of "those that know" … you know the "talking heads" …

they're of the opinion that this is a very valid concern … but the "banned for life" and call for the other owners to vote him off the island, wasn't spoken by Silver without having consulted all the owners to see if he had the votes to pull this off

so I'd be surprised if this went away

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/30/14 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

And they'd still buy jordans, team apparrel, and other E36 M3 even if the team was owned by satan/hitler/kim jong un/bin laden/gw bush/etc themselves......

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/30/14 12:17 p.m.
1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iHrBtHLojOJImTZnzKrIFTDKQMDdaRKodbXfpLgIQPXTDirZWh7Q162kb29FGp31