1 2 3
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/4/24 11:28 p.m.

So yeah, Hurricane Debby. I've dealt with a lot of Tropical Storms in FL and this one is different. Debby passed by the Tampa Bay area as a Tropical Storm about 160 miles to the West and the wind speeds are not as great as other storms, but we're getting heavier /stronger bands with this one than higher category storms. Plus, WAY more rain than other storms. We've had almost 7" here so far with a lot more to come. They predicted this and I'm glad I cleaned out all my yard drains to maximize flow away from the house. The ground is so saturated the septic tank drainfield is not happy. I had also drained down my pool to just the base of the skimmer so it would take the extra water. I'll be interested to see how full it is tomorrow.

North Florida is going to get a serious soaking. I hope Stampie has flood insurance at his homestead!

Stay safe, all!

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
8/4/24 11:37 p.m.

We lost power at the house about 7pm, still out now. This is the first time losing power in 10 years. 

The worst part is they spent all last year hardening the grid in our area!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/4/24 11:44 p.m.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
8/4/24 11:50 p.m.

It looks to me like it just started to hook toward the coast in the last few minutes. It could be heading toward Gainesville area instead of the panhandle.

hobiercr
8/5/24 12:09 a.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

And we often lose power. Keeping fingers crossed for this one. Hope you get yours back soon.

hobiercr
8/5/24 12:19 a.m.

Well, with the storm surge a canoe would be a great idea, but no thanks.

Latest NHC forecast shows Savannah to Charleston predicted to get 16"+ of rain. Toyman, hope your farm is ok.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
8/5/24 12:20 a.m.

In reply to antonydas :

I need a canoe to travel through the rain from the hurricane. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/24 12:27 a.m.

Good luck to those affected by the storm.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/24 12:29 a.m.

We also got an insane amount of rain and some wind. I did not go outside at all today, it was raining all day. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
8/5/24 1:21 a.m.

Wind speed is way down and we are between rain bands. I juat spent about 30 minutes driving around to see if I could find any line men working. 

None. 

Normally we see them in packs waiting a parking lots. I drove by the yard they come out of not too far from my house.  No activity and about 6 trucks in a yard that usually has about 25-30 that work out of that spot.

I think they didn't expect much in Pinellas county and sent a bunch of crews north to stage there.

The outage map shows a bunch of small areas all over the county, we have 96 customers without power in our spot. The county has about 35k without power. 

My wife said,"For the record, I wouldn't be mad if you went back to the shop.Sometimes misery doesn't need conpany." The shop has power...and AC in the office.

Ill bet we won't get power back until Tuesday or Wednesday. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/24 5:25 a.m.

Been raining hard all night here in Gainesville. Gusts up to 52 mph. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/24 8:05 a.m.

Just started really raining here in summerville SC.  Latest forecast calls for 18 to 24" of rain between now and Friday.  

Last time we got this much rain, the lower part of my neighborhood flooded.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/5/24 8:14 a.m.

Just kinda a bad thunderstorm for me, down in South St Pete.  I-275 was closed at the bridge (which isnt a huge surprise, during a normal storm you can see waves cresting the barriers.)  Gandy was completely open and allowed me to get into work.

I think my termite infested roof lost some shingles.  Cant get up there to check, though.

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/5/24 8:25 a.m.

North Pinellas county and yikes. I think we're at 11 inches of rain since 9:45 am Sunday (8:20 am Monday now). We drove the neighborhood last night at 10pm and saw the most flooding since a ton of drainage work 6 years ago. Power out 11pm-1:30 am. Out again at 6:30am and still out. Strong bands of wind and rain sunce 7:30am. Fun times. Was supposed to see a customer in Savannah on Thursday. I think we'll reschedule that. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/24 8:48 a.m.

Rain started yesterday evening.  I convinced Bob that he could go out in it to pee.  This morning he walked out the door, stood on the porch for about 10 seconds, turned around and went back inside.  I wonder how long he plans to hold it.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/5/24 8:49 a.m.

Lots of rain, but nothing unusual for me. but we're well south. I don't want anyone to be effected, but we're still waiting for the crooks, I mean insurance company, to fix our house. I don't want to confuse the poor mouth-breathers with another claim.
Looking outside now, looks like some yard clean up, and that's about it.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/5/24 8:59 a.m.
Stampie said:

Rain started yesterday evening.  I convinced Bob that he could go out in it to pee.  This morning he walked out the door, stood on the porch for about 10 seconds, turned around and went back inside.  I wonder how long he plans to hold it.

Keep an eye on the galoot.  Luna gave herself a bladder infection cause she wouldnt go in the rain

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/24 9:28 a.m.

Just rain (so far) here in Ormond. Stay safe, everyone. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
8/5/24 9:29 a.m.

Power just came back about 20 minutes ago. Thank you pole dancers!

Fridge got to 51F, not sure for how long so I'll probably toss a lot of stuff. Freezer still has ice cubes, no problem there.

I should have listened to all those Generac commercials.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/5/24 9:31 a.m.

Hoping our power stays on. We have underground utilities, but the neighborhood next to ours doesn’t–and that’s where, I’m told, our power comes from....

hobiercr
8/5/24 9:38 a.m.

We will rebuild. Pool overflowed with all the rain. I had pumped it down 6-8" before the storm. All the lakes in the area are tip top full. Ground is saturated! Hope it all gets down to the aquifer. FL could use it.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
8/5/24 9:59 a.m.

So far so good here--just lots of rain.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/24 10:26 a.m.

We're on the inland side of Volusia County, rain and some wind gusts I estimate in the forties. Power is still on. We have above ground utilities but they've been hardened in the last few years. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/5/24 10:32 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Just kinda a bad thunderstorm for me, down in South St Pete.  I-275 was closed at the bridge (which isnt a huge surprise, during a normal storm you can see waves cresting the barriers.)  Gandy was completely open and allowed me to get into work.

I think my termite infested roof lost some shingles.  Cant get up there to check, though.

Speaking of I-275 being closed.

A post shared by RealTampa LLC (@realtampa)

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/5/24 10:40 a.m.

They've extended my tornado watch for most of the day in 32750. It's raining and windy. I'm mildly impressed. I'm not really concerned though- I measure my response directly in line with how the mouse prepares and they did berkeley all, so...eh. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l9NwonqDYbCflKKotscIwhq16GBygcGZEYKaqutk0VvlUwpxG7uw8NkkFv12SCcX