1 2 3 4 ... 6
glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/23 5:37 p.m.

Trying to get back from Philly today to get ready. This one caught us by how quick is ratcheted up in intensity and eastern tilt. 

travel ain't easy today

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/28/23 5:37 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Wow, I hope nothing major complicates things further for your family, and your  mom heals well and quickly.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
8/28/23 5:54 p.m.

Best of luck everyone in the path. 

8/28/23 7:12 p.m.

Hey Daytona/DeLand/Fort Pierce guys - based on the track we're thinking about heading to the east coat for a day.  Looks like north is rough for predicting.  What are they saying for you guys?  Hotels from Daytona to Palm Beach are still plentiful and cheap.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/23 7:38 p.m.

In reply to glueguy (Forum Supporter) :

You're the man on the scene but from your location I would say south and east if you need to evacuate.  Hell just going inland a bit cuts down a lot.  How far above sea level are you?  Any other issues special to your situation?

8/28/23 7:47 p.m.

We're in a C flood, rest of the houses in the hood are B zoned.  We're 2 miles from the Gulf but more importantly 1.5 miles from the top Tampa Bay.  A big surge through the bay will be bad for us.  My wife owns an insurance agency so no power is not good for her, people seem to want to reach her around this time, imagine that.  This one didn't look like a bug-out situation as late as Sunday night, then it turned to doo-doo real quick.  Passing Cuba is still key, I think there is still a chance the track will be influenced but time is getting short.  Late night update tonight will be a big one I think.

Stampie
8/28/23 7:56 p.m.

I use NOAA maps a lot mainly for wind speed.  In my case I'm a block from the St Johns river but I'm also behind a bluff and 40 plus feet above sea level.  For wind this is what I look at.

First TS force wind speeds over next 5 days.  I use this as a E36 M3 they're wrong again case.  Right now I'm personally in the 70% chance area so yeah I'm watching but let's see what happens.

Next I look at the Hurricane level winds probablity over 5 days.  This gives me a trust the models what will I actually see.  In this case I'm at the 10-20% level.  Knowing it'll weaken a lot over land I'm not really worried.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/28/23 8:17 p.m.

Everything is as prepped as it’s going to get. Everything that isn’t bolted to the earth is on the shed or the workshop. All that white you see on the right side are the fence pieces from Ian blowing through. Ironically we just started putting some of the fence back together. Guess what will be first to get blown away lol.

Stampie
8/28/23 8:21 p.m.

Also always be aware of the the rotation of the hurricane.  Over water the winds tend to suck water from the SE and push water to the NW.    Now sure how that works in the bay down there.  Will it push it up the bay and not let it escape?  Are the winds going to rotate over a lot of land before it gets to you?  The more the winds go over land the slower they get.

Spent the day installing shutters down on the coast.   Still thinking it will land east of us.  Folks that lived through Michael seem to be taking this one more seriously.

As the 'neighborhood go to guy' spent yesterday starting a lot of folks generators and testing them.   Hoping tomorrow to do some prep around our place.

Wouldn't want to be in Cedar Key.

You know you might be in a world of future hurt if Jim Cantore is broadcasting from your front yard.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/28/23 8:38 p.m.

Deland here. Last i saw, we could expect 30-40 mph winds. I dont think it will be anything to get excited for us. 

8/28/23 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

This is our problem. Wind shoving water straight into tampa bay with no outlet

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
8/28/23 9:06 p.m.

I'm about 2 hours due north of PCB. If anyone needs help with anything, I "should" be back around Thursday evening. 

I say "should" because I'm slated to drive back from Tennessee right about the time this thing is doing its inland dance and I might have to sit tight in Atlanta or something. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/28/23 9:54 p.m.

Gutters are cleaned, stuff’s picked up, upstairs sliding door has been re-caulked, and the pantry is stocked. There’s editing to do, but someone made me a drink for dinner so I think it’s time to head upstairs....

ToManyProjects
ToManyProjects Reader
8/28/23 9:56 p.m.

Spent the afternoon prepping here, more to do in the morning. Ironically the road out to the cabin was blocked by a down tree this afternoon and I couldn't get there to grab the other generator. I like having he spare around, just-in-case, I'll have to revisit in the morning. I wanted to tie some other stuff down out there as well.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/28/23 10:06 p.m.

I live about 3/4 of a mile from the beach on the intercoastal marsh side of the island.  The marsh is less than 60 yards from my house.  The good thing is it's projected to cross my area around low tide thankfully.

Not super worried about this one but my wife and kids are leaving tomorrow so she can stay with her sister inland.  I will be shuffling cars to various garages tomorrow to keep them out of the weather.  Trying to avoid the tree induced death of the jaguar and corvette from several years ago.

Since I work for the city I am mandated to work the next couple of days.

Good luck everyone, hope this thing doesn't wallop anyone to badly...

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/29/23 7:23 a.m.

Ahhh, the old homestead.

Good luck everyone!  Stay safe!  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/29/23 8:04 a.m.

Last week was probably not a good time for me to close on my new house in Panama City Beach. surprise

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/29/23 8:04 a.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

I live about 3/4 of a mile from the beach on the intercoastal marsh side of the island.  The marsh is less than 60 yards from my house.  The good thing is it's projected to cross my area around low tide thankfully.

Not super worried about this one but my wife and kids are leaving tomorrow so she can stay with her sister inland.  I will be shuffling cars to various garages tomorrow to keep them out of the weather.  Trying to avoid the tree induced death of the jaguar and corvette from several years ago.

Since I work for the city I am mandated to work the next couple of days.

Good luck everyone, hope this thing doesn't wallop anyone to badly...

Hey man, you want some flood barriers, I know a guy.

Won't help right now...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/29/23 8:48 a.m.

I went outside this morning to look at my lawn furniture and move it into the garage. I promptly went back inside and decided I could do it later. 

I'm berkeleyin' terrible at hurricanes. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/29/23 9:07 a.m.

Stay safe and good luck everyone.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/23 9:42 a.m.

I was in Dunedin and Safety Harbor yesterday with my family, we flew home last night from Orlando. My family wouldn't let me help with boarding things up but I did get some groceries and water before we skipped town. 

I hope everyone stays safe down there. 

Starting that process to pick the favorite children... which cars get to be packed inside garages, and which get to stay out under the pine trees.  frown

We are 230' above sea level... not too worried about storm surge.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/23 10:08 a.m.

Sorry guys, storm is there because it needed to cleanse the Mofo I left all over Florida. 

On a positive note... uh... umm... E36M3. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/29/23 10:49 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

goddammit, I knew letting you in here was a bad idea. 

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zIVZYICptwwNbuO7cBPiju0RZiX4mh534QAribkkoMnbuLlqWup2S82RW8zfLBJv