1 2 3 4 ... 12
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/16 8:48 a.m.
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/4/16 8:56 a.m.

Storm track this morning looks like it's gonna spend a good portion of thursday/Friday clobbering most of the coast. I'm too far inland to really be concerned.....but am rather curious.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/4/16 8:58 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Storm track this morning looks like it's gonna spend a good portion of thursday/Friday clobbering most of the coast. I'm too far inland to really be concerned.....but am rather curious.

Is this your first one?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/4/16 9:00 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
mndsm wrote: Storm track this morning looks like it's gonna spend a good portion of thursday/Friday clobbering most of the coast. I'm too far inland to really be concerned.....but am rather curious.
Is this your first one?

Yes. Yes it is. And one of my guilty pleasures that isn't car or gaming related is severe weather. I was super excited when hermine was trying to be all serious. I've ridden out the worst mn can throw at me without even missing work. I wanna add hurricane to my resume.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/4/16 9:07 a.m.

This storm is over 700 miles across, so even if the models forecast the eye to be off shore you might still see quite a bit of wind & rain. Hoping that's not the case of course, I hope it moves NE and away from the US all together.

I have heard several comparisons between this storm and Hazel, and I just remember the horrified look that my grandma used to get when she spoke of Hazel... DO NOT WANT.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/4/16 9:16 a.m.

In reply to mndsm:

As a fellow Midwesterner I know that feeling. Having now been through two of them, that feeling has diminished to zero. I'm hoping to escape the gulf coast before we we get another one.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/4/16 9:17 a.m.

Well, some people think it's serious. Was at costco buying costco things (admittedly there were a few cases of water just in case) and i saw people purchasing all sorts of foolishness. I wish I was the guy with the genny though. That'd be nice.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/4/16 9:21 a.m.

The first time you see a WalMart stripped to the bare shelves in panic hurricane buying is amazing. This is a fairly local emergency that people can plan for in an area where this happens with some regularity. Now think about an actual regional or world scale emergency.
Hurricanes changed the way I saw the world.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/4/16 9:26 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The first time you see a WalMart stripped to the bare shelves in panic hurricane buying is amazing. This is a fairly local emergency that people can plan for in an area where this happens with some regularity. Now think about an actual regional or world scale emergency. Hurricanes changed the way I saw the world.

In fairness, I've seen that for a snowstorm in Illinois as well. Alcohol and staple foods were completely gone.

Although I do think a hurricane is a much bigger threat than any snowstorm.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/4/16 9:34 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The first time you see a WalMart stripped to the bare shelves in panic hurricane buying is amazing. This is a fairly local emergency that people can plan for in an area where this happens with some regularity. Now think about an actual regional or world scale emergency. Hurricanes changed the way I saw the world.

Its the milk, bread and toilet paper thing from any blizzard. Hilarious. I work at a resteraunt supply store now. I can hardly wait to see what happens this week.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/4/16 9:34 a.m.
mtn wrote:
In fairness, I've seen that for a snowstorm in Illinois as well. Alcohol and staple foods were completely gone. Although I do think a hurricane is a much bigger threat than any snowstorm.

Yep, it happens here in OK when they predict snow/ice.

To be fair back in the winter of '07-08 we had a winter storm that knocked out power to many areas of Tulsa for approaching 2 weeks. That's tough to deal with in freezing temps if you aren't prepared.

Ice covered roads that were treacherous, downed trees everywhere so you may not even be able to get out of your neighborhood, much less your street.

So now at the threat of winter storms the grocery stores get RAIDED.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/4/16 9:52 a.m.

The panic that groups of humans are capable of is impressive.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/16 10:05 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The panic that groups of humans are capable of is impressive.

One human can keep a fairly level head.. but the larger the group, the higher the level of panic. We feed off of each other.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/16 10:08 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: The panic that groups of humans are capable of is impressive.
One human can keep a fairly level head.. but the larger the group, the higher the level of panic. We feed off of each other.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." - Agent K

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/4/16 10:22 a.m.

Well, I am now in the Cone of Uncertainty. I have been through hurricanes, but not this strong. No hurricane shutters on this rental house, Lots of trees, but solid 1950's construction. I was amazed to see how poorly new houses held up to Andrew. Lot's of building codes were revised, and a lot of corrupt inspectors left the state. I really don't need this. Some of you that have never seen what these things can do have no appreciation for the emotions involved. Do not want looters, extended power outages, but at least most supermarkets and gas stations were required to install standby generators.

java230
java230 Dork
10/4/16 10:40 a.m.

Hang in there Chuck!

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/4/16 10:55 a.m.

Thanks. Don't have much choice. If it gets real bad we will stay with Jane's son. Well protected condo, shielded from wind. And he has a generator.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/4/16 11:14 a.m.

I generally don't worry too much about incoming storms--- as the media tends to blow them out of proportion. This one though......has me concerned. A CAT 4 hurricane is nothing to scoff at. Hopefully it veers offshore---- things will be bad if it makes landfall at that sort of strength.

Time to batten-down the hatches and stock up on "essential" items. Hurricane parties can be fun.......but preparation is key!

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/4/16 11:22 a.m.

We are off for our first supply run shortly. Wonder how bad the stores are going to be. Full report upon return.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/4/16 11:25 a.m.

Yeah, if it seems like it's gonna get worse, I'll drag home more dry goods and water tomorrow night. Business costco is a mile from work and you can buy things by the pallet there. I like it.

The party side is covered, i have plenty of booze.....

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
10/4/16 11:29 a.m.

Every time I look at the tracks they're getting closer to the US coast. Looks like the east coast of FL-GA-SC-NC may get shaken up and very wet. I'm far enough inland in Macon that these are seldom a concern, but even the weather guys here are starting to fidget.

Of course, it's been almost a month since we've had rain, so a little precip would be good for us but not for the people down on the coast.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
10/4/16 11:40 a.m.

Hope everything works out best for you all down in that neck of the woods!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/4/16 11:44 a.m.

Matthew looks quite brutal to Haiti- it's been over that peninsula for so many hours...

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/4/16 11:58 a.m.

Sour mix made. If anyone retreats to central florida disney ish area, and wants to grab a booze, I'll be ready.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
10/4/16 12:06 p.m.
Hasbro wrote: If you want to waste some time; http://spaghettimodels.com/

This guy nailed it a couple of days ago when he said it would probably be more westward than suggested.

1 2 3 4 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PMFJMHOPKpTlVfEzaSuF8C3fLzvgH1Ns63yFpvOKSs7i1kYdzh9wn7KhPpUj9nn6