1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/4/16 7:51 p.m.

Ouch. That's no good. Get some ice on that.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/16 8:11 p.m.

Florida gets it Thursday and Friday. Y'all batten down the hatches, we'll be pulling for you.

Looks like we are going to get it sometime Saturday morning.

My parent's house is an hour south on Edisto Island. They have left their boat in Virginia Beach and are driving home tomorrow so they can get on the island before the bridges close.

I guess I know what my Sunday is shaping up to be.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/4/16 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

See where it says the storm will be at 2PM Saturday? That's my house. We are leaving for high ground tomorrow. Having a child with special needs makes even an interruption in electricity tough on us. I have to be in MN next week for work and figure it's better safe than sorry, so we are bugging out and headed to the in-laws in WV.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/4/16 8:35 p.m.

Hey I'm in the red area. Maybe I'll go work for fema.

Toyman01
10/4/16 9:15 p.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Safe travels.

We are going to stay here. I filled the cars Monday. Test ran the generator this afternoon. There is always a couple of weeks of food in the house. The wife is stocking the refrigerator and freezer now, with normal groceries. The kids are out of school for the rest of the week so they get to bring in all the loose stuff tomorrow. I'm going to work.

I have a set of doors to change in Walterboro tomorrow. I'd much rather have the new owner claim them on his insurance, than me have to claim them on mine, if my warehouse collapses. That is assuming I can even get there, with all the road closures the powers that be are planning.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/4/16 9:28 p.m.

Started our genny this afternoon, got buckets ready to fill with water for showers and flushing. Living on a well is a hassle when the power goes out. Gonna fill up the truck & gas cans tomorrow. Already picked up some charcoal, just gotta grab some steaks and beer. Gonna spend Thurs securing yard stuff. I am planning on possibly having to ride this out solo, as Chuck may get stuck at work with no one to relieve him if we get a direct hit. Rather be ready than sorry. Be safe everyone

Toyman01
10/4/16 10:50 p.m.

Just in case you were wondering.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/5/16 8:09 a.m.

We're putting our hurricane plans into effect today at GRM world HQ. Once we get everything up off the floor and electronics bagged, the office will close for the rest of the week. Then we're going to get our houses ready. Tim is already bitching about the screw holes the boarding leaves in the trim, but I'd much rather fill some tiny holes....

Stay safe, everybody.

Margie

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/5/16 8:21 a.m.

Good luck to GRM and all of our southern friends.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/5/16 8:29 a.m.

Beautiful day outside right now. Except for the very strong sense of impending doom.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/5/16 8:58 a.m.

In-laws arrived here fleeing inland of Hilton Head. My parents aren't ready to leave Myrtle Beach yet, though I strongly suggested that they do so early, seeing as they can't really drive far, have some bad medical issues, and would really like to take their 1967 Corvette with them.

My house is totally open to all GRM coastal folks running from the storm, just send a PM.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
10/5/16 9:50 a.m.

Looks like I moved from SW FL just in time, I was there for three years and never had any hurricanes, The first one came about 3 weeks after we left this year. Good luck to all still in the area and be safe.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/16 10:01 a.m.

I have family that just moved to the Lowlands of SC from the mountains of PA. Trying to get them to even consider evacuating is like pulling teeth. They think they are safe being 40 minutes from the beach... As my Aunt says "well just get rain"

To quote Richard Dryfus' charcter "Matt Hooper" from the Movie Jaws... "they're all going to die"

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/5/16 10:12 a.m.

Gas stations now running out of gas. Getting close to full panic mode. Hey, you KNEW it was coming, why wait so long??!!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/5/16 10:18 a.m.

Yup, beautiful here in Delray Beach today. If the storm hits hard here I'll probably loose most of my roof for several reasons. Also, if it's bad the salvageable trees and plants in the yard that were recovered or up-righted after being yanked out of the ground by a tornado earlier this year will probably be gone because the roots haven't grown back enough yet and big trees that would break the wind were completely destroyed.

Concrete block house and after a direct eye wall hit by Wilma in 05 I had most of the doors and windows replaced with hurricane ones except one sliding glass door. Will put the hurricane panels on it today.

Biggest structural concerns are large roof sections that overhang the front porch and rear patio. Strong wind in a North/South direction (which we're expected to get)causes lift that would very likely damage or remove both. During Wilma the front one lifted and the columns that support it were blown out. At the time I made temporary repairs and recently started making permanent repairs but it requires major structural work I planned on doing during the cooler months this year and it's not ready for a hurricane. The rear roof extension is old and wood deteriorating where metal supports are bolted in. I watched my neighbors very similar roof build around the same time (mid 70's)rip off and cartwheel through the yard crushing another neighbors car during Wilma 10+ years ago. My 86 Porsche is under the rear roof and no where else to protect it.

I only have force placed insurance due to the opportunistic vulture like corporate policy of the stage coach riding mortgage holding financial institution. So none of my personal belongings including any vehicles on the property are covered by homeowners insurance. long story

Sure hope it blows out to sea!

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/house/20161005_105636_zpszcua81wy.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/house/20161005_105743_zpsd9xq3kpx.jpg.html][/URL]

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/5/16 10:25 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA:

You're welcome to drive your 911 up to Biloxi, park it in my garage, and wait out the storm here. You could even take it out for the Cruisin' the Coast activities all week.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/5/16 10:27 a.m.

I have two sister in-laws in Jax-Beach. As of now they are both staying. Both live a little more than a block away from the ocean. Meanwhile, my sister in Hilton Head has already fled I believe, by she lives in a small trailer so I don't blame her.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/16 10:39 a.m.

It's not every day you see a storm that looks like a bad guy from Bleach.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/05/health/hurricane-matthew-skull-trnd/index.html

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/5/16 11:05 a.m.

I would find a way to drive that 911 West a couple hundred miles.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/5/16 11:12 a.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to NOT A TA: You're welcome to drive your 911 up to Biloxi, park it in my garage, and wait out the storm here. You could even take it out for the Cruisin' the Coast activities all week.

Thanks I like Biloxi! But sadly, it's not currently registered or insured or I'd find somewhere safer to put it locally quick. It ran and drove fine when I parked it on the patio in 2009. Was regularly started for a couple years but then the DME relay or fuel pump stopped working, so it hasn't even been fired up in the past 3-4. Tires probably not safe and it's blockaded behind the house to protect from theft by enclosed trailer, other cars etc. Ya know, typical GRMer ahaha or I'd probably call AAA and have a roll back move it to a safer place. I keep saying I should spend some time to get it out and running to sell it but other things seem to get priority. It's a cool car, ROW 86 cabrio, wide body, 5 speed, black leather, AC, etc. etc. Spent most of it's life in S Cal. so no rust.

I'm only maybe a mile from the beach and it's flat here so there's really only I-95 raised up a little between here and there to break the wind.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/5/16 11:29 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce: I'm actually more concerned about a 67 Camaro RS SS vert that's in the driveway I need to get in the garage. It's been out so I could work on other projects. Luckily no customer car here now so I'm gonna get it in the garage today.

Toyman01
10/5/16 11:47 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

To be perfectly honest, if you live more than a couple of miles from the ocean, more than 15' above sea level, and are a moderately capable adult, evacuating is a waste of time and money.

You won't have hot showers, or steak and lobster for dinner, but you will survive just fine.

Even a 3rd world country like Haiti only had 5 deaths that were directly related to the storm.

My parents spent most of the day traveling to their house, that is on the water, on a island. They are both 75, and I'm not worried about them at all.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/5/16 11:58 a.m.

We have a really, really thick tree canopy here at home, and I have had the same guy grooming them for years. He once explained how they protect the house by directing the wind. Not sure if it's BS or not, but we got through 2004's hurricanes just fine. Fortunately he was here a couple of months ago, too. Now we wait.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/16 12:34 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to mad_machine: To be perfectly honest, if you live more than a couple of miles from the ocean, more than 15' above sea level, and are a moderately capable adult, evacuating is a waste of time and money. You won't have hot showers, or steak and lobster for dinner, but you will survive just fine. Even a 3rd world country like Haiti only had 5 deaths that were directly related to the storm. My parents spent most of the day traveling to their house, that is on the water, on a island. They are both 75, and I'm not worried about them at all.

they are in their 70s, have never been through a Hurricane, and are in a retirement community that is completely composed of prefabricated houses/trailers. And I was wrong, they are on the outskirts if Myrtle Beach, about 20 minutes from the beach.

Toyman01
10/5/16 1:12 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

The way the tracks are looking, they will probably fine. It looks to be turning east fairly early. Myrtle will be getting a lot of rain and some wind.

Parents can be amazingly hard headed. My sister tried to get my parents to stay with them, in Virginia Beach. There was a less than 0% chance my father was going to do that. He was going to be on that island before the bridges closed, so they left Va Beach at 2am and got home about 10am.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MPkv8s3ybQgr9SwR0KCPkBWIhR2im6Wct898gTajZDmygKXAT5kXqkb5aMM9Dapc